Just Graduated... What Now?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just Graduated... What Now?

(Just to start, I apologize if this is a repost. The previous time I tried to post, it never stopped with the "Waiting" sign at the top of the screen, so I am assuming it didn't post).

Hello, all. My name is Kira, and I just graduated from the University of Phoenix with a BS in IT with a certification in Advanced Multimedia Development. I am trying to figure out what I should do next. What should my priority be? Below I am listing all the things I plan to do, in my current To Do order, but could use advice.
    • Create web-based portfolio
      • Adobe Muse, then upload to a domain I intend to purchase
    • Create physical portfolio
      • Planning on making the design based on the link below. Planning the pages to be more like envelopes that I can slide pages in and out of to customize the pieces I display and make it last longer, and be interchangeable as I develop more pieces and gear it towards specific audiences.
      • http://howdidyoumakethis.com/stab-bound-journal/
    • Apply for Jobs
    • Learn how to use Wacom Tablet
      • Just got the Wacom Intuos Pro Medium for a graduation present, but I really don't know how to use it or optimize it for Illustrator and Photoshop. Phoenix used Lynda.com a lot to outsource videos for programs to help us learn how to use the programs and features, so I found one about Wacom tablets I plan to watch and follow.
    • Become more proficient in Illustrator
      • I understand the basics of Illustrator and have made logos in it, but I would like to become more proficient and delve into illustration as well as graphic design. Planning to follow courses in Lynda.com for this
    • Advance my skills in Photoshop
      • Again, advanced courses in Lynda.com for this
    Phoenix was not exactly the typical design school, (actually it was an IT program more than a design program) and so I know it wasn't ideal for graphic design, but it was the best option for me when I was applying for college. This is why I intend to continue courses I found in Lynda.com (which is partnered with LinkedIn) in order to become more proficient. But, I need a job, preferably in the Graphic Design field. Hence my portfolio and applying for jobs being a higher priority. Is this the right call? And what are the opinions about my plan for my print portfolio? I saw a lot of (older) articles stating that good print portfolios are no longer in the faux leather business folio, but are another expression of the designer's imagination. I also realize that most articles I have seen make the claim that web-based is more important because of the ease of visibility before interviews and such, but I feel that it is a good idea to have both available, especially for a Job Fair (I have one coming Thursday, Sept. 28 and then Nov. 1st). Should I make business cards with my website portfolio link? Or just have my resume and cover letter? I honestly am lost. I haven't been able to sit and talk with any graphic designers, and the program I attended at Phoenix did not really guide me forward for after graduation. So what do I do now?

Please and thank you for any and all advice you can give.
    Once I get my portfolio uploaded on the web, I will likely post it here for critique as well. *shivers in fear*

What are you looking to do in Graphic Design?

Print, web/media or both?
    Erik Youngren Pueblo Publishers, Composing Manager
    2.8Ghz Quad Core Intel Xeon Mac Pro | InDesign CS4 | Suitcase Fusion 5

Comment

E, I've found lately that young graduates have no idea what direction they want to go in this field. They just don't know what is available to them out there.

Kira,
      This University of Phoenix?
      http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/201...x_why_the.html
      That reputation is hard to overcome. Your work will have to outshine it.

When you say IT program, what exactly did you study? and when you say ''with certification in Advanced Multimedia" what is that exactly?
      If you are planning on going into multimedia there are a lot of exciting and new areas opening up on the bleeding edges of the technology. The trouble is, the work is usually a team affair and the ones doing the actual tech work are not always the ones doing the designing. But a designer who knows how to mesh with the tech might be a sought after commodity. It will be highly competitive and very long hours, especially for any new hire that joins a team. You don't mention if you know web coding for UI design or if you know how to use any of the video editing tools out there (Premier, Final Cut Pro, etc) or any of the 3D animation tools (Cinema 4d, Maya, or even Blender)

But if you are talking about traditional Graphic Design, the prospects are bleaker.
      Illustrator and Photoshop are only two of the three programs you need. InDesign is the third if you intend to do any kind of Print work.
      I wouldn't even look at a resume without InDesign on it (but I'm a printer, of sorts.)
      The field is oversaturated. The pay isn't as lucrative.

As you've gathered, when looking for work you should tailor your presentation to the prospect. Do your research and show that you have a vested interest in working for a certain place for a certain reason. If going for multimedia designer, you are going to have to do presentations on a laptop or tablet, or at the very least have a web-based portfolio where the work can be seen and possibly even be used interactively.
      In some instances you might be asked to interface with office conference room equipment so you can interview with more than one person. Most often via WiFi or internet, but sometimes hardwired, so be aware of your device output options.

With a printed portfolio, DO NOT make something that takes valuable time out of your presentation. You mention envelopes. While you might possibly mean clear vinyl sleeves instead, I'm not certain so will suggest you not put your work into anything that will obscure it.
      And I say vinyl sleeves with a word of caution, depending on how the work is printed, I've seen ink/toner stick to the clear plastic insides of some of those portfolio pages. Not a good look.

As for what's in and what's out as far as cases... a custom case can impress, as long as it isn't awkward for the person viewing it to view it.
      I've had to clear off a shop table to view some of the massive zipper leather things some students have brought in. Not everyone has that much space. The best one I've seen that I personally like is the self-standing unit that flips pages over the top.
      Something like this only a bit swankier https://www.amazon.com/Business-Sour...DRGET0A9ZD6CNM
      Doesn't take up a lot of desk real estate.
      But that's just me.

Comment

Fortunately, I believe InDesign is my strong point. I have the most experience using it, and the most pieces in my portfolio come from that program. The classes I took that I feel are relevant and are what earned me the certificate include Web Design Fundamentals, basic and Advanced Web Development, Electronic Publishing with InDesign, 3D Design, Image Editing with Photoshop, and Digital Design with Adobe Muse and Adobe Illustrator. The certificate is basically Phoenix saying I specialized in Advanced Multimedia Development while getting a general IT degree, which included networking, database concepts, Application Implementation, etc.

I know HTML5 and CSS pretty well, as well as Adobe Muse and Adobe Dreamweaver, but JavaScript and Java are not strong areas for me. I also know the basics of 3DS Max and Maya, but that is another thing I didn't have the opportunity to delve deeply into.

As for cases, I think I will go with something like you have linked to, for starters. I think the time it would take to make something more creative could take away from time I need to get stronger in the programs I feel weak in.

Comment

Originally posted by KiraTheGeek View Post
          As for cases, I think I will go with something like you have linked to, for starters. I think the time it would take to make something more creative could take away from time I need to get stronger in the programs I feel weak in.
          The handmade case you linked to is interesting, but it's not very business-like. Since you'll likely be applying at businesses, it might not serve your interests to show a case that appears to be a craft project. Something a little sleeker that sets the stage for what's inside, instead of overpowering it, might be more appropriate.
          Last edited by B; 09-23-2017, 10:18 PM. Reason: Typo fix

Comment

Originally posted by PrintDriver View Post
            E, I've found lately that young graduates have no idea what direction they want to go in this field. They just don't know what is available to them out there.
            I find that somewhat of a disservice by the design schools if it is the case. If by the time you graduate you don't have any real idea of where you'd like to go or what is/is not possible in your career then I question what the school taught you.

My instructors made it very clear what kind of work a graphic designer could expect to be hired to do and our projects revolved around that work. My first interview was for a job that involved creating a campaign for a business, including logo design and marketing materials - the exact same thing they had taught me in school.

It was only by chance I fell into the career path I am on now.
            Erik Youngren Pueblo Publishers, Composing Manager
            2.8Ghz Quad Core Intel Xeon Mac Pro | InDesign CS4 | Suitcase Fusion 5

Comment

It isn't so much the fault of the schools. There is just so much out there these days beyond the realm of corporate identity work. Yeah it all revolves around ''The Sell'' somehow but it isn't all business cards and drawing pretty pictures on flat planes any more.

Now that Kira has explained what it is her course of study actually entailed, if applied she could probably enter into the more lucrative end of the industry, the intersection of technology and public interaction.
              Check out what these guys do:
              http://www.jackmorton.com/work/
              http://www.geometry.com/our-work/
              https://imagination.com/work

Comment

Originally posted by KiraTheGeek View Post
                (Just to start, I apologize if this is a repost. The previous time I tried to post, it never stopped with the "Waiting" sign at the top of the screen, so I am assuming it didn't post).

Hello, all. My name is Kira, and I just graduated from the University of Phoenix with a BS in IT with a certification in Advanced Multimedia Development. I am trying to figure out what I should do next. What should my priority be? Below I am listing all the things I plan to do, in my current To Do order, but could use advice.
                • Create web-based portfolio
                  • Adobe Muse, then upload to a domain I intend to purchase
                • Create physical portfolio
                  • Planning on making the design based on the link below. Planning the pages to be more like envelopes that I can slide pages in and out of to customize the pieces I display and make it last longer, and be interchangeable as I develop more pieces and gear it towards specific audiences.
                  • http://howdidyoumakethis.com/stab-bound-journal/
                • Apply for Jobs
                • Learn how to use Wacom Tablet
                  • Just got the Wacom Intuos Pro Medium for a graduation present, but I really don't know how to use it or optimize it for Illustrator and Photoshop. Phoenix used Lynda.com a lot to outsource videos for programs to help us learn how to use the programs and features, so I found one about Wacom tablets I plan to watch and follow.
                • Become more proficient in Illustrator
                  • I understand the basics of Illustrator and have made logos in it, but I would like to become more proficient and delve into illustration as well as graphic design. Planning to follow courses in Lynda.com for this
                • Advance my skills in Photoshop
                  • Again, advanced courses in Lynda.com for this
                Phoenix was not exactly the typical design school, (actually it was an IT program more than a design program) and so I know it wasn't ideal for graphic design, but it was the best option for me when I was applying for college. This is why I intend to continue courses I found in Lynda.com (which is partnered with LinkedIn) in order to become more proficient. But, I need a job, preferably in the Graphic Design field. Hence my portfolio and applying for jobs being a higher priority. Is this the right call? And what are the opinions about my plan for my print portfolio? I saw a lot of (older) articles stating that good print portfolios are no longer in the faux leather business folio, but are another expression of the designer's imagination. I also realize that most articles I have seen make the claim that web-based is more important because of the ease of visibility before interviews and such, but I feel that it is a good idea to have both available, especially for a Job Fair (I have one coming Thursday, Sept. 28 and then Nov. 1st). Should I make business cards with my website portfolio link? Or just have my resume and cover letter? I honestly am lost. I haven't been able to sit and talk with any graphic designers, and the program I attended at Phoenix did not really guide me forward for after graduation. So what do I do now?

Please and thank you for any and all advice you can give.
                Once I get my portfolio uploaded on the web, I will likely post it here for critique as well. *shivers in fear*
                Wow! You've made a very good and big to-do plans.I do not know how much time you will need to finish this list but I hope and pray that you can finish this task as quickly as possible.

And as for advice, there are many reputed members on this forum who has already given their advice. I hope that will give you enough.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                Working...
                X