Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any good online programs?

Hey,

I want to get my AS and I just moved to Spokane, Washington and enrolled at the local community college, but the program only admits students during the fall and has an interviewing process in the spring prior, so I missed my opportunity for a whole year. I'm looking for other options. I'm thinking I could do an online program. Are there any out there that you guys know are worth while?

An AS in design? or is this for a more web based type career?
    Either way, you are probably gonna want to aim higher. Current HR standards for entry level are pretty much a 4-year degree and 2 years of experience in the real world.

Check out that community college and see if you can enroll as a general major and get your gen ed courses out of the way, even if it is nights or intercessions while you wait for your interview. Be sure the courses are at a level that transfer if you don't get accepted into the program and decide to go to a different school.
    Don't think of it as a year missed. Take it as an opportunity to get the mundane junk out of the way so you can focus on your program studies later.

I'd pretty much avoid online colleges for design degrees. The whole part of the give and take of a critique is vital to a designer's success. If you can't defend your work before your peers, you don't have a chance in the real world.

If you want to take online courses, look into maybe some of the higher end Lynda courses.

Comment

Right out of high school, long ago, I didn't really know what I wanted to do, so I enrolled in a community college and got an AS in something totally unrelated to design. Then I decided I wanted to be a designer and headed to a large university, which was nice because all my general ed classes were completed and I was able to concentrate solely on design and work part time. Of course it took me six years to get my BFA that way, but I've never considered it wasted time.

Anyway, back to the main point. PrintDriver's right, an associate degree in design isn't worth a whole lot any longer. Making a good living in this field means getting a higher-the-average-paying design job, and those are difficult to come by without, both, a bachelor's degree and intern/part-time experience at a real company. The field of graphic design is saturated with people trying to get jobs, which drives down wages and eliminates those without a full set of academic credentials, intern experience and a great portfolio.

Then again, I have no idea what your long-term career goals are.

Comment

First, you need to find an aim. look where is your interest. there is a lot of online programs. learn what programs you like and earn experience. in this way you can shine like a flower.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
        Working...
        X