Interview Tomorrow with an Assessment

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interview Tomorrow with an Assessment

I just got a call for an interview tomorrow at a temp agency that staffs graphic design jobs. I was told that there would be assessments in Photoshop, InDesign, and Illustrator. I was also told that the assessments would be technical not conceptual (for example following step by step instructions). I'm "self-taught" and have never done an assessment before, this will be good experience. Has anyone done anything similar that can give me an idea as to what I might expect on the assessment? I want to make sure I brush up on anything that I need to before tomorrow.

Might review your technical terms. As you are self-taught you may refer to certain things in your head one way while the industry uses a different term.

Technical also implies to me that they are looking for what you know versus what you can do. For instance (and I will just use simple examples), can he (meaning you) take a JPG and make a 300dpi CMYK PSD out of it? Can you export a PDF from InDesign?, stuff like that.

PS. I have an appreciation for temp agencies. One of the jobs I worked once hired a temp when the manager left and I learned how to get a postscript file out of QuarkXPress from that guy. Knew his stuff.

Good luck!
    Erik Youngren Pueblo Publishers, Composing Manager
    2.8Ghz Quad Core Intel Xeon Mac Pro | InDesign CS4 | Suitcase Fusion 5

Comment

Temp agencies usually only hire people who are good enough to plug-in-and-play. The last thing a company wants when they hire a temp is to be teaching them the basics.

Following step by step instructions should be fairly easy, unless they toss in a wrench or two on purpose to see what you'll do.
      Beware of images with resolution too low, or missing your bleeds and safeties, or a logo that is a photoshop .eps rather than an illustrator .eps, or improper color callouts etc etc. Doubtful, but you can never assume....

If someone said, here's an InDesign template showing title/subtitle/body copy sizes and approximate placement, here's a folder with assets (images, logo, a PDF of the logo brand standards, and a word doc with the copy,) here's a computer that has all the fonts you need for the template, your bleeds are 0.25" and your safety is 0.5", create a die line for machine cutting to the file named "background image," the finished size of the final die cut piece is 72" high by fall and all critical colors (logos and text) should be Pantone solid coated. Your handoff is a packaged native Indesign file with a PDF hardcopy. An idml is not needed.
      Go!
      Can you do it?
      Last edited by PrintDriver; 10-09-2017, 09:29 PM.

Comment

Thank you both, it didn't go as well as I wanted, I had no problem with Illustrator. InDesign was the first test I took, and while I didn't not know anything they were using CS6 on a Mac. I'm familiar with Mac, I just don't use one everyday and CS6 felt different, I'm not sure how different CC and CS6 actually are but It felt slow and clunky. I use Photoshop the least and struggled with that one the most, could have used better test taking strategies though.

They said I can retake the tests if needed so I'll brush up on some things on give it a second go if needed. It was a good experience to see what the industry might expect as someone who has no experience. Thanks Again.

Oh, I could do all of that in InDesign....these directions were even more step by step then that, which I think took longer. Approximate placement would have been nice.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• PanToshi
          Reply to Software that can do vector patterns?
          PanToshi
          Hi Thumper and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done...
          Today, 03:46 PM
        • PanToshi
          Reply to Looking for comments
          PanToshi
          Hi designers kent and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't...
          Today, 03:46 PM
        • PanToshi
          Reply to Flyer Crtitique
          PanToshi
          Hi Pobrien and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done...
          Today, 03:40 PM
        • HotButton
          Reply to Flyer Crtitique
          HotButton
          There are a lot of opportunities for refinement there, so it's best to start with a general corrective statement: Everything is too large. More specifically, there is no focal point; no hierarchy; no...
          Today, 03:36 PM
        • pobrien
          Flyer Crtitique
          pobrien
          Hi,

I would greatly appreciate feedback on a flyer design for a promotional contest. I am transitioning from a 3D artist to more design work, so I know I have made some mistakes in spacing,...
          Today, 01:12 PM
        GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
        Working...
        X