Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you use Flash anymore?

Hello guyz,

Not sure if this belongs in the software forum or not - feel free to move it if so, just curious to find about whether people are really using flash now.

I was looking through the various CC apps the other day and came across Flash. It dawned on me that, to date, I hadn't even opened the CC version of the program yet and more broadly speaking - haven't touched the program in years.

I played with it for about a month at uni (ten years ago!), but have used it for absolutely nothing since (much less had any briefs that require me to use it).

Does anyone here still use Flash, if so, for what?

This got me onto thinking about my priority for Adobe CC programs (if anyone wants to share theirs, it might give an abstract insight into the demands of the industry in general).

My proficiency order is (roughly):

1) Photoshop
    2) Illustrator
    3) InDesign
    4) AfterEffects
    5) DreamWeaver

It's a pretty fluid list. The next thing I want to start learning is PremierPro, but beyond that - I'm not sure what to go into (the full suite is choc full of as yet unused goodies - so I feel pretty spoilt for choice).

In what order do you use these the most/most proficiently?
    Last edited by Clipping shop; 10-11-2017, 12:49 PM.

I haven't used Flash in probably nearly 10 years. Adobe has tried to re-brand it (even renaming it as Animate), but I haven't tried it out. Maybe one of these days I should download it just to take a look.

N.A.N.K.A. "We Kick Because We Care."

Comment

Animate CC 2017 is far from Flash. It is a rather nicely appointed timeline-based app that can be used to produce animated interactive content for the HTML5 and AIR platforms, and doesn't rely on "Flash" (the format) at all.

Back in some day or other, I made some stuff in Macromedia Director before I tried to learn Flash, and, while I did eventually produce some respectable Flash product, I always found the application cryptic and befuddling compared to Director. These days I'm doing almost 100% print work, but I have splashed around a bit in Animate for my own amusement, and it is much nicer than Flash ever was.
      I'd rather be killed than come to your party, but if you don't invite me, I'll kill myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Clipping shop View Post
        My proficiency order is (roughly):

1) Photoshop
        2) Illustrator
        3) InDesign
        4) AfterEffects
        5) DreamWeaver

In what order do you use these the most/most proficiently?
        I'd probably place Premiere ahead of AfterEffects. As the name implies, it has the tools to create the effects that Premiere isn't really meant to do. In other words, it might be a good idea to get the hang of editing video before diving into the motion graphics for those videos.

DreamWeaver is not on my list at all. I'd much rather code by hand or build CMS templates within existing frameworks. Tossing Dreamweaver into the process, for me, is a bit like the difference between an uncrowded highway and a traffic jam.

As for Flash, I've successfully avoided it for about 15 years, and never plan to use it again.

Comment

The list of proficiencies any designer has is entirely industry related.
          Yours is more web/media based.
          Others may have their priorities elsewhere.

Dreamweaver and Aftereffects aren't even on my list but SignLab, Acrobat, and, to some extent, Vectorworks are. Plus a whole bunch of other peripheral tools that interface with the Adobewares. The other three are
          Indesign
          Illustrator
          Photoshop (a way distant third)
          The world isn't limited to Adobe CC.
          Last edited by PrintDriver; 10-11-2017, 04:04 PM.

Comment

I haven't used Flash in quite a while. I was around for the 2000's burst of flash websites and popular animated flash series and flash games. It'll always have a special place in my heart because it was my introduction to programming. To add some additional features to a multi-media project I was working on in college, I taught myself Action script, which eventually lead me to learning PHP, Java, C++, and many other programming/scripting languages. It's more intuitive to learn OOP when you're working with actual objects instead of theoretical ones.

I do a lot of web development and design, but I don't use Photoshop or Dreamweaver for them, but I have recently switched my main local editor to Brackets.

So in terms of Adobe products that I use:

Illustrator
            Brackets
            Acrobat
            ~
            ~
            ~
            ~
            ~
            ~
            ~
            ~
            Photoshop
            Indesign
            "I used to wonder what friendship could be, Until you all shared its magic with me." - Jesus Christ

Comment

looks like no one is using flash anymore now. can any one tell, in future, what are the chances of the use of animator? will it increase or decrease?

Thanks

Comment

• HotButton
                HotButton commented
                Editing a comment
                Well, it's the Flash format that's become obsolete.

I don't think anyone is saying animation is dead.

Oh. I got it. Thanks everyone for answering my question.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
              Working...
              X