Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charge or do not charge?

Hello

If my friend runs a business and his logo is outdated so if I refresh his logo and help him on some concept of his business should I charge him or not?

Is there such a thing as 'mates rates' in the creative industry?

Is your friend asking you to refresh his logo, or are you doing it 'on your own'?
    Sketching not only helps you work out good ideas, it helps you get past the bad ones.

Comment

• Clipping shop
      Clipping shop commented
      Editing a comment
      he hasn't told me to do this..i told him that his logo is outdated and he gave me permission to do this.

You should not ever work for free.*

If you give away your time, effort, and expertise as though they have no value, then they will...have no value. That doesn't mean you have to take your friend's money, but perhaps his business offers products or services that may benefit you. When businesses barter for mutual support of each other, it's healthy commerce.

*I'd say it's fine to do so in a case where you choose to donate your services to a cause you deem worthy. Make it official and on the record. Don't do informal favors.
    I'd rather be killed than come to your party, but if you don't invite me, I'll kill myself.

Comment

HB is right. Always Charge. Customer supplies a file without a bleed? Charge to set it up.
      Need to add one line of type? Charge.

Certainly charge for a logo redesign or "touch up"

If he's a close friend - maybe he can buy you some beers. Payment accepted!

Comment

• Clipping shop
        Clipping shop commented
        Editing a comment
        yea..thats a good idea thanks

Never work for free. Even if your payment is a trade of services, charge something. If you don't believe your time and expertise are worth anything, no one else will, either.
      Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Originally posted by Clipping shop View Post
        Is there such a thing as 'mates rates' in the creative industry?
        I know some designers have what they've called a "friends and family" rate, which is a bit of a discount.

As for free, my opinion is that parents and children might warrant it with no strings attached. Brothers and sisters, um, maybe, but there would be strings. Extended relatives and friends, depending on a zillion variables, might or might not get a discount. Worthwhile charities might warrant discounts too, if you feel strongly enough about them. Everyone else gets charged the full rate.

Comment

• Obsidian86
          Obsidian86 commented
          Editing a comment
          That's a pretty good break-down. Wait until my wife gets the bill I just sent out for the flour container label that I designed for her.

• B
          B commented
          Editing a comment
          Oh, yeah, spouses. I forgot about them. That a whole other subject.

Originally posted by HotButton View Post
        You should not ever work for free.*
        i have asked this question only for this quote.

Comment

Its all about your decision. You can work for free or pay charge and its all depend on the bond of relation between both of you,

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• PanToshi
            Reply to Software that can do vector patterns?
            PanToshi
            Hi Thumper and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done...
            Today, 03:46 PM
          • PanToshi
            Reply to Looking for comments
            PanToshi
            Hi designers kent and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't...
            Today, 03:46 PM
          • PanToshi
            Reply to Flyer Crtitique
            PanToshi
            Hi Pobrien and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done...
            Today, 03:40 PM
          • HotButton
            Reply to Flyer Crtitique
            HotButton
            There are a lot of opportunities for refinement there, so it's best to start with a general corrective statement: Everything is too large. More specifically, there is no focal point; no hierarchy; no...
            Today, 03:36 PM
          • pobrien
            Flyer Crtitique
            pobrien
            Hi,

I would greatly appreciate feedback on a flyer design for a promotional contest. I am transitioning from a 3D artist to more design work, so I know I have made some mistakes in spacing,...
            Today, 01:12 PM
          GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
          Working...
          X