Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Full-time freelancer? Could you share your experiences with me?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Full-time freelancer? Could you share your experiences with me?

Hi everyone! I am working on my thesis project redesigning what a bank could offer to help empower full-time freelancers to sustain a successful independent career, and I am hoping to get your feedback. If you could fill out this 10-min survey, or forward the link to your full-time freelance friends (current or past), it would make a HUGE difference to my project! I believe that freelancing offer many opportunities to people who are in need of the freelance lifestyle, and something that could help more people to get there would be super meaningful.
    https://goo.gl/U8BAfp
    Thank so much for your time! Really appreciate your help.
    Sincerely,
    Eva

Hi Eva617 and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
    Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

I don't particularly believe banks, of all things, should be encouraging freelancing if the freelancer does not meet certain qualifications for the job.
      The most important part being EXPERIENCE.
      With graphic design, it's far too common for students to go into freelancing directly from college without ever having worked in the industry before. They are a detriment to their clients, to the industry, and a high risk to the bank.

With most freelance-type professions, it is far more common for a person to have had to go through a journeymanship before going out on their own, working under the mentorship of someone far more experienced who can show them how the world goes round.

Comment

First, this was posted by B some time ago on how to become a Graphic Design freelancer:
        Originally posted by <b>
        Here's the usual and surest way:
        1. Enroll in a university design program.
        2. Find good design internships while still in school.
        3. Work one's butt off while studying full-time and working as an intern.
        4. After four years, graduate with a bachelor's degree in design or a related field.
        5. Look for a full-time job, send out resumes, show portfolio.
        6. Land an entry-level job at local company as a beginning designer.
        7. After a year or two find a new job at a better place.
        8. After another couple of years become a senior designer at an even better place.
        9. After still another year or so you just might have the education, experience and contacts to explore freelancing.
        Of course there are other routes, but the more of these steps you skip, the tougher it'll be to get there.
        Second,
        There are so many different paths in the career of graphic design that it isn't really possible to list the skillsets that would be beneficial.

Some would be:
        - Gaining the industry contacts needed to render your finished product. Into package design? Learn all you can about the many different ways to get creative packaging created. Into exhibits and tradeshows? Learn all about the millions of products and services available to the exhibit and event industry. Into web design and interactive user experiences? Learn all you can about the multitude of ways to interface machines to people.
        - Learn what works. In school, students are encouraged to be ''creative'' and some go to extremes in wacky solutions to imaginary problems, where the only people they have to ''sell'' to is themselves and possibly the course instructor. In the real world, there are demographics to study, marketing trends to sort out, interdisciplinary headaches to solve (ie meshing marketing campaigns across print/web/event/advertising.) There is a lot to this career that isn't taught in colleges.
        - use the time under a mentor to learn. Ask questions. Don't try to re-invent the wheel. Take on responsibilities as you grow into the job that expand your knowledge and your industry contacts.
        - The most important one would be how to run a business. Freelancing is a business first and pretty pictures second. A freelancer spends about 25% of their time actually designing. 50% of their time may be spent on marketing and client meetings and site surveys and various other peripheral activities that support the design work. The last 25% of the time is spent chasing the money. Either writing contracts, sending billing, collecting billing and making phone calls asking where the money is. There's also dealing with the taxes, insurance, government paperwork, and everything else that goes into owning a business.
        Last edited by PrintDriver; 10-24-2017, 01:08 PM.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• PanToshi
          Reply to Happy Thanksgiving!
          PanToshi
          Happy Thanksgiving!

Today, 01:20 PM
        • B
          Reply to Happy Thanksgiving!
          B
          Happy Thanksgiving everyone (even to those of you outside the U.S.)!

As for turkey, I worked a summer job in a Norbest butter ball turkey processing plant before college, and haven't touched...
          Today, 12:57 PM
        • Arka-Software
          Reply to Software that can do vector patterns?
          Arka-Software
          There are many software in the market which are using for vector pattern are:- 1) Inkscape 2) Xara Xtreme 3) Skencil 4) Scribus 5) VRR 6) CoceptDrow PRO 7) ZeusDraw 8) MagicTracer 9) Nodebox 10) Tgif
          Today, 12:46 PM
        • PrintDriver
          Reply to Software that can do vector patterns?
          PrintDriver
          You want a program that is used to dealing with vector axis data. Photoshop would probably be inappropriate.

The only way I can think to do this is to have a script written for Illustrator...
          Today, 09:10 AM
        • KitchWitch
          Reply to New in Here
          KitchWitch
          Hi Asif_shawon and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't...
          Today, 09:09 AM
        GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
        Working...
        X