Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Interviewers wanted me to provide logo feedback, but Im not sure what is expected.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interviewers wanted me to provide logo feedback, but Im not sure what is expected.

I had a really good interview last week with a small app development team and they wanted to send me some initial projects just to see how I fit in. The first thing they've sent me is just their own branding package. They said they wanted my opinions and thoughts and what I would change, and said I would be paid for this work.

The thing is I think the logo is fine. Its simple and professional, without taking it on as an entire rebranding excercise, I don't know what kind of feedback they are expecting? Especially since they were saying they would pay me for my time surely they expected me to at least put an hour of work into this.

I just don't know how to respond without it looking like I'm just bullshitting a response.
    Last edited by mightbedylan; 11-01-2017, 04:51 PM.

I'm assuming your interview was about a job, right? What is the job you interviewed for?

Assuming it was for a design job where you'd be expected to have opinions on why a branding package does or does not work, your lack of response other than to say "it's simple and professional" is, well, a bit of an indication that you might not be the critical and strategic thinker they're looking for.

Why is the simplicity of their branding good? What is it that makes it professional? Who is their target audience? How does their branding impart (or not impart) the desired effect on that target audience? Is it reproducible across a wide range of mediums? Is that even necessary? How does it fit in with or stand out from competitors?

I could go on, but if you think it works well, you really ought to be able to go into detail on why you think that's the case. From what you wrote, they're looking for something more than just someone with gut instincts on what looks nice -- they apparently want someone who can also articulate the logic behind an opinion.

One skill that every designer needs to master is the ability to dissect the reasons why something does or doesn't work for the intended tasks it was supposed to accomplish. When working directly with clients or creative directors, a designer needs to be able to convince and persuade with a logical and compelling argument. An argument based upon nothing deeper than saying, "It's fine" or "it's professional looking" just doesn't cut it.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• PrintDriver
      Reply to Happy Thanksgiving!
      PrintDriver
      Happy Thanksgiving to all!
      Just waiting for dinner to finish cooking. We are eating fashionably late this year. Mainly because the bird was larger than expected, but that 's ok.
      Lots of hooverdoovers...
      Today, 04:17 PM
    • PanToshi
      PanToshi
      Happy Thanksgiving!

Today, 01:20 PM
    • B
      B
      Happy Thanksgiving everyone (even to those of you outside the U.S.)!

As for turkey, I worked a summer job in a Norbest butter ball turkey processing plant before college, and haven't touched...
      Today, 12:57 PM
    • Arka-Software
      Reply to Software that can do vector patterns?
      Arka-Software
      There are many software in the market which are using for vector pattern are:- 1) Inkscape 2) Xara Xtreme 3) Skencil 4) Scribus 5) VRR 6) CoceptDrow PRO 7) ZeusDraw 8) MagicTracer 9) Nodebox 10) Tgif
      Today, 12:46 PM
    • PrintDriver
      Reply to Software that can do vector patterns?
      PrintDriver
      You want a program that is used to dealing with vector axis data. Photoshop would probably be inappropriate.

The only way I can think to do this is to have a script written for Illustrator...
      Today, 09:10 AM
    GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
    Working...
    X