Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Logo grids

Hi everyone,

I'm interested in learning more about grids in logo design. Can anyone recommend either good books, courses or videos on the topic?
    Curious about the process, especially how quick do people get from sketching point to knowing what grid they want to use?

Thought this wasn't a bad starting point: https://medium.com/@jeroenvaneerden/...n-904b33e1a866

Thanks!

Ye gods that looks way too complicated.
    Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

I'd prefer you worried less about the grid and more about things like
      sign blank, negative space, clean artwork (no overlapping shapes in wireform,) no transparency or gradients, and not making it impossible to stuff LED lighting into it when your client wants it.
      Last edited by PrintDriver; 11-06-2017, 02:36 PM.

Comment

Thanks PrintDriver In addition to all those, which I always take into consideration, I'd love the know about the grid process.

Comment

I get the need to wanting to keep things clean and relying on grids seems like the way to do it, but when you look through that person's blog, you realize that by doing so they have similar line widths, negative space, etc. It's been too structured, IMO.

I don't personally think conforming to a grid helps logo design. Yes, it may speed things up, but then it gets a little cookie cutter. Worry more about having the logo communicate the brand of the company/organization. Design for 2D, then create a more gradient heavy version if needed. Oh, and legibility and having it read at smaller sizes is a good rule of thumb.

N.A.N.K.A. "We Kick Because We Care."

Comment

ok, I see I need to clarify. I don't mean I'll obsessively go about designing every logo in a grid or my head will otherwise explode. I'm simply curious to see different processes in creating logos. I'm with you on it looking too structured when they're all constructed in that way. Grid does work for some things, and while this wouldn't be my starting point in the logo design process, I do find it useful to do a bit of a cleanup with certain shapes.
            Last edited by DeltaOrionis; 11-06-2017, 02:57 PM.

Comment

IMO, any logo design that would be conducive to grid-based layout isn't simple enough. I'd further contend that most of those example you see of schematically constructed logos are the result of post-design treatment; IOW, it's more like the grid was designed to fit the logo, or at least developed concurrently.

EDIT: Now seeing your post #6, I would agree that 'gridifying' a concept after the fact could lead to beneficial refinements.
              I'd rather be killed than come to your party, but if you don't invite me, I'll kill myself.

Comment

George Bokhua has a couple of tutorials on skillshare which are worth checking out.

https://www.skillshare.com/user/georgebokhua

Comment

Hi I am Christopher Michael Cooper. Grid systems are great and the best way I would recommend learning them is to find a great local Technical College to enroll in for Graphic Design Specialization. This is how I learned Grids. I hope this is of help.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                Working...
                X