Looking for comments

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for comments

Iíve been designing a new camouflage on and off for about 3 years this is a camo from actual pictures I have bought and taken. Just looking for feedback on what everyone thinks about it. This is a repetitive design just uploaded a smaller portion for security. Please let me know what you think.
    Attached Files

Hi Colton819 and welcome to GDF.

The photo is of a design you created, or one someone else did?

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
    Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Originally posted by KitchWitch View Post
      Hi Colton819 and welcome to GDF.

The photo is of a design you created, or one someone else did?
      This is a design I made. I took actual photos of trees and leaves and also bought some photos online and then used photoshop and Illustrator to piece it all together.

Comment

• KitchWitch
        KitchWitch commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for clarifying.

So you bought some photos and took some other photos and made this?

How are you printing it and on what?
      I ask because you have about 2 years and 9 months too much detail in here to matter for most camouflage...your dot gain alone is going to negate some of that work. And to put it quite honestly, camo sells to hunters. Deer don't see at all like we do and while not color blind, can see down into the UV blue zones that make some colors neon to them that look neutral to us.

Anyway,
      Time is money. Even on a labor of love.

Depending on scale, it's quite realistic. Very RealTreeģ looking.
      https://www.realtree.com/all-camo-patterns

Have you done any field testing/in-use photos?

I'm waiting for someone to make a camo for forest fire areas. New grass growth would be a large game draw, but cover is minimal.
      Last edited by PrintDriver; 11-14-2017, 12:59 PM.

Comment

Correct a lot of photoshop and illustrator to get to this point. Out of the 3 years Iíve probably put 4-500 hours I took about a 9 month break from it as well. This isnít the only camo I made but this was the original design I started I ended up making a snow version of this one, a wetlands version, and a pink camo. All that I worked on at the same time.

For printing Iíve done it on vinyl and fabric. Actually had a swim suit made. Mainly because I needed one and thought I might as well test it out. Iím wanting to start off just small vinyl stickers and decals. Then go from there. I donít plan just to sell camo I would like to sell almost any kind of wearable.

As far as field testing I only did it on my first version I made but Iíve made a lot of changes since then and havenít field tested. Itís expensive for me just to get samples made out of clothing.

That would be a really good idea for the forest fire camo. I might look into making something like that.

Comment

This was the first version I had made about 2 years ago
          Attached Files

Comment

It appears to be more stylistically aesthetic than functional. If that was intended, it might work for militia/hunter/survivalist fashion. If that wasn't intended, then I think you might be re-inventing the wheel.

Comment

The artwork is impressive, and it's obvious you've spent a lot of time on it. Like PrintDriver, I don't know how printable and durable the detail will be on fabric. It does look cool, though.

Some camo is purely functional, being designed as actual camouflage. Other camo is more decorative and sells as a surface treatment on various things because of looksl. And, of course, there's all the stuff that's in between.

It sort of seems yours is more of the decorative variety in that you've paid far more attention to the imagery and how it looks than you have to field testing its ability to actually hide the person wearing it. In practice, it would probably work for hunting in late fall in a wooded environment. In other words, that's pretty specific. Adding snow is a nice touch for a bit later in the season for the same wooded environment.

You seem to be paying lip service to its functionality for use on hunting gear, but it seems you're more concerned with it looking cool. If so, there's nothing wrong with that, but I'm not quite sure you've decided yourself.

---------

Looks like DesignZombie beat me to saying much the same thing.
              Last edited by B; 11-14-2017, 01:25 PM. Reason: Follow-up comment

Comment

4-500 hours at, hmmm....conservative $25 an hour, that's $10K-12.5K you have to recoup. Actually with overhead, that 25 is very conservative....

That's a lot of stickers.

RealTree sells their camo as car wraps. I don't like the look of it. But at least they had 3M run it and it has air egress adhesive.
                https://store.realtree.com/realtree-...-vehicle-wrap/

Comment

So in a nutshell this camo might be best as being advertised more as a fashion? Iím definitely going to field test to see how it would do.

Iíve never actually sold any decals or stickers of this i did at one point have a company that I contacted to get cell phone cases made ask me about using my camo for their line of cases already made but they didnít want to pay royalty on it at all or license it out so I backed out of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Colton819 View Post
                    So in a nutshell this camo might be best as being advertised more as a fashion?
                    I think some hunters buy camo for it's functionality while hunting. Others buy it supposedly for those kinds of reasons, but what they're really doing is buying into the whole hunter image thing. I don't think they would respond to marketing camo clothing and gear as fashion since that doesn't fit the whole manly hunter image (even though fashion is exactly what they're after).

I worked with a guy a few years ago who had a camo wrap put on his entire pickup truck. A few weeks later a guy crashed into him at an intersection. The guy claimed that since the truck was deliberately camouflaged, he had trouble seeing it and shouldn't be held responsible for the crash. I'm not sure how it was resolved since the guy quit his job before it went to court.

Comment

Originally posted by B View Post

I worked with a guy a few years ago who had a camo wrap put on his entire pickup truck. A few weeks later a guy crashed into him at an intersection. The guy claimed that since the truck was deliberately camouflaged, he had trouble seeing it and shouldn't be held responsible for the crash. I'm not sure how it was resolved since the guy quit his job before it went to court.
                      That is crazy! People just trying to find excuses for their mistakes.

Comment

really like the illustration, so much detail, unreal.

Comment

Hi designers kent and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
                          Sketching not only helps you work out good ideas, it helps you get past the bad ones.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright © 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                          Working...
                          X