Software that can do vector patterns?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Software that can do vector patterns?

I'm working on a project that requires me to make a ton of vector graphics that are patterned. The pattern is created by a computer program I wrote. It's not a repeated pattern but more like a pattern of a shape of varying sizes. My program spits out a list of data for the pattern of shapes. The data is x and y coordinates and the size of the shape. Each shape in the pattern is the same shape (ie, all squares or all circles etc). I want to take the data from my program and plug it into a program like Paintshop Pro or Photoshop (etc) to create the pattern using vector shapes. Does anyone know of any software that can do this? Thanks!

Hi Thumper and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
    Sketching not only helps you work out good ideas, it helps you get past the bad ones.

Comment

The step and repeat in Illustrator can do patterns and vary the size and even the rotation, to set parameters or at random. This will give you a vector file but Paintshop Pro and PhotoShop are not vector programs. As soon as you open your vector file in one of these programs it will be rasterised.
      Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana

Comment

You want a program that is used to dealing with vector axis data. Photoshop would probably be inappropriate.

The only way I can think to do this is to have a script written for Illustrator that will read variable data and plot it in a graph-like fashion.
        How your data is generated will be the sticking point. Most variable data is taken from a tabbed or tabled source like Word or Excel (with Excel being far more common.)
        There are forums out there for people who script Adobe programs. Some do it for kicks, others charge a fee based on the difficulty of the script.

Comment

There are many software in the market which are using for vector pattern are:- 1) Inkscape 2) Xara Xtreme 3) Skencil 4) Scribus 5) VRR 6) CoceptDrow PRO 7) ZeusDraw 8) MagicTracer 9) Nodebox 10) Tgif

Comment

All of those (at least the ones I recognize) will do vector patterns, just like Illustrator. The problem here is auto-accepting variable data created by an outside program.

Comment

Originally posted by Arka-Software View Post
              There are many software in the market which are using for vector pattern are:- 1) Inkscape 2) Xara Xtreme 3) Skencil 4) Scribus 5) VRR 6) CoceptDrow PRO 7) ZeusDraw 8) MagicTracer 9) Nodebox 10) Tgif
              Hi Arka and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
              Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

How adventurous are you? I'm just adventurous to know that you might, might be able to pull it off depending on the detail of your shapes.

Just for grins, I created a 4 inch x 4 inch file in illustrator. I created three circle shapes and typed out "Tacos!!!" with the text tool. I then saved it out as an SVG file. I then opened the SVG file in Brackets (an open source text editor, but in theory any text editor should do). And it displayed the following:

Code:
                 <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
                  <!-- Generator: Adobe Illustrator 22.0.1, SVG Export Plug-In . SVG Version: 6.00 Build 0)  -->
                  <svg version="1.1" id="Layer_1" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink" x="0px" y="0px"
                  viewBox="0 0 288 288" style="enable-background:new 0 0 288 288;" xml:space="preserve">
                  <style type="text/css">
                  .st0{font-family:'MyriadPro-Regular';}
                  .st1{font-size:12px;}
                  </style>
                  <circle cx="33.5" cy="56.5" r="11.8"/>
                  <circle cx="208.8" cy="79.8" r="6.6"/>
                  <circle cx="99.7" cy="122.8" r="21.8"/>
                  <text transform="matrix(1 0 0 1 72.3379 51.1216)" class="st0 st1">Tacos!!!</text>
                  </svg>
                So, as you can see it maps out the x and y locations of the circles as well as I'm assuming the radius of the circles, but my text and circles were all just black, so I don't see anything in the code describing the circles color attributes.

But, if you (or some you know is a (perhaps) GREP wizard, you might be able to drop in the x, y locations and sizes and PROFIT!

Once again, this is really just exploratory. It's up to you to figure out how viable this all is, or if it's more trouble than it's worth.

N.A.N.K.A. "We Kick Because We Care."

Comment

I poked around some more. If you change it to apparently a unique color (other than black) it applies a class to each shape with a defined hex color fill applied to the class.

Comment

As a side note, the two 288 measurements above are due to me setting up a 4" x 4" artboard. 4 x 72 = 288. Likewise, the locations of the circles below are based on that same 72 dpi base ... so if you change both the x and y of a circle to 72, it will appear at the 1" from the left, 1" form the top location.

Comment

I don't know of any program that reads and plots x,y coordinates without additional commands or formatting information in a standard or proprietary file formatting language specifically for that program.

If you wrote the program, you might have an easier time getting your program to export code (commands) that are compatible with another display program instead of mere (coordinates) data.

Comment

Oh wow! Thanks everyone! Sorry for the delayed reply. All of you gave me tons of great ideas and software options to try out. This will definitely keep me busy for a while. I'll check in later to let you all know if I can get anything to work out for me. I really appreciate all the help!!!

Comment

Vectr is a good one. Beside that Inkscape, Skencil and ConceptDraw are some good choices. Thanks.

Comment

Hi Penny27 and welcome to GDF.

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

there are lots of software that can design logos in a very well way, such as:

inkscape--> this is for mac, windows and linux
                              xara xtreme--> this is for mac and linux sorry for windows users
                              Vrr--> for linux and widows
                              these are some software that i know about

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Breanne.C
                                Helloooooo!
                                Breanne.C
                                Hey everyone! My name is Breanne. I didn't realize there was an introduction spot until after I tried making my first post to identify a font. Ooopsie!

I'm from the Seattle area, a freelance...
                                Today, 05:31 PM
                              • Breanne.C
                                Font ID Please
                                Breanne.C
                                Hey folks! I need help identifying the font in this logo, just the text "Fire Medic." Can anyone help ID it?

Today, 03:56 PM
                              • chikisg84
                                Comment on Need feedback on best way to start redesigning my portfiolio website
                                chikisg84
                                Thank you so much for your input. What you said about Joomla templates basically dictating the look and feel of the site is basically the reason I've held so long to my current site. I have not found...
                                Today, 03:32 PM
                              • Biggs097
                                Reply to Price of Foil vs. Varnish for business cards?
                                Biggs097
                                Keep in mind the cost of the tooling the dye is a one time cost. The next lot of cards wont include the tooling cost.
                                StudioMonkey is also correct of the cost vs. your volume. 100 cards may run...
                                Today, 02:42 PM
                              • B
                                Reply to Need feedback on best way to start redesigning my portfiolio website
                                B
                                Joomla is my CMS of choice. For that matter, I'm working on some template modifications for a Joomla site this morning.

For a small personal site, Joomla might be overkill. It's certainly...
                                Today, 02:11 PM
                              GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                              Working...
                              X