Anyone know how to make this shape?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone know how to make this shape?

Been attempting to replicate the shape of the icon design on the Samsung Galaxy S8.

I can't quite get the roundness on the edges in Illustrator.

I've attached what the shape should look like and my attempts at that shape.

They're easily made with the circle tool. Just draw a circle, then pull out both control points (handles) on each of the four anchor points.

Comment

Hmmm...thought a square-to-circle blend might produce a useful intermediate step, but the results are surprisingly non-uniform.
      I'd rather be killed than come to your party, but if you don't invite me, I'll kill myself.

Comment

Yeah I was initially trying the square to circle, but that's how I got my results above.

@B The circle and anchor points help. After several attempts of playing around with the handles I got close to the shape I wanted. I just wish there was an easier way to reproduce this shape to ensure all my edges have the same curvature.

Comment

Originally posted by calebninja View Post
          I just wish there was an easier way to reproduce this shape to ensure all my edges have the same curvature.
          I can think of two ways to do that:

1. Activate the window's side rulers, then drag out guidelines. Drag the control handle points to match up with the guidelines.

2. Draw the circle, then drag out the handles on one quadrant to get it just how you want it to be. Delete the other three quadrants, then vertically flop/copy the remaining quadrant, then merge the two quadrants together. Then horizontally flop/copy that and merge them. Do that and each of the four quadrant will have identical curves.

Comment

• calebninja
            calebninja commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for the help.

There are always several ways to do things in Illustrator.
          Not that I like trusting Smart Guides too much, there is only so much you can do without drafting tools.
          Here's another method (If you want a squarer version, you can enlarge the size of the square as long as it stays centered.:
          Click image for larger version

Name:	round-square.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	21634

Comment

• B
            B commented
            Editing a comment
            Clever

Yes there are several ways. This way might be quicker:

1) Draw a square to the outer edge size you want.
          2) Filter > Stylize > Round Corners.
          3) Set the corner radius to whatever matches closest.

If it's not close enough on the first attempt, undo and repeat steps 2 and 3.

Comment

• calebninja
            calebninja commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks. I tried that and also used the direct selection tool to bring in the corners of a square. The black and white picture in my initial post were my results when trying those methods. The square didn't get round enough on the edges, but I did what B suggested and it worked.

• designzombie
            designzombie commented
            Editing a comment
            OIC. It's a more gradual curve because it uses only 1 node instead of 2 per side. The difference is subtle.

Digital, simply use Border Property CSS

Comment

okay, this takes all the fun out of it.
            Make a rounded rectangle and go to Effects>Warp>Inflate.

Comment

• designzombie
              designzombie commented
              Editing a comment
              Cool! It uses 8 points, but it looks the same to me and is easier to adjust.

I knew there had to be a way without touching the control points. I avoid doing that as much as possible when aiming for perfect symmetry.

For what it's worth, a shape like this one is apparently called a squircle (at least by Wikipedia).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squircle

Comment

I wonder if smartphone companies will ever move to triangles for their icons. Heh, that'd be fun now wouldn't it? /sarcasm

Comment

There are some shape like this in MS Powerpoint and also Photoshop will work.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Breanne.C
                  Helloooooo!
                  Breanne.C
                  Hey everyone! My name is Breanne. I didn't realize there was an introduction spot until after I tried making my first post to identify a font. Ooopsie!

I'm from the Seattle area, a freelance...
                  Today, 05:31 PM
                • Breanne.C
                  Font ID Please
                  Breanne.C
                  Hey folks! I need help identifying the font in this logo, just the text "Fire Medic." Can anyone help ID it?

Today, 03:56 PM
                • chikisg84
                  Comment on Need feedback on best way to start redesigning my portfiolio website
                  chikisg84
                  Thank you so much for your input. What you said about Joomla templates basically dictating the look and feel of the site is basically the reason I've held so long to my current site. I have not found...
                  Today, 03:32 PM
                • Biggs097
                  Reply to Price of Foil vs. Varnish for business cards?
                  Biggs097
                  Keep in mind the cost of the tooling the dye is a one time cost. The next lot of cards wont include the tooling cost.
                  StudioMonkey is also correct of the cost vs. your volume. 100 cards may run...
                  Today, 02:42 PM
                • B
                  Reply to Need feedback on best way to start redesigning my portfiolio website
                  B
                  Joomla is my CMS of choice. For that matter, I'm working on some template modifications for a Joomla site this morning.

For a small personal site, Joomla might be overkill. It's certainly...
                  Today, 02:11 PM
                GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                Working...
                X