Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on these designs?

Hello Everyone,

I'm a business owner and I'm re-branding the logo for my furniture company. It desperately needed it!

Anyways, I was hoping there were a few generous people out there that could take a couple minutes and rate these final options? I'd love the perspective from the experts and the people that do this every day. But even if you're not a designer I'd still love and appreciate your impression of which design intrigues you the most. I sell very modern industrial furniture to give you some perspective of my demographic. Think a more industrial West Elm.

Finally, these designs can still be tweaked so if you have any suggestions that you think would make a clear winner I WOULD LOVE THAT TOO!

Thank you again for your time and for lending your expertise.

Best,
    Adam
    Last edited by KitchWitch; 12-01-2017, 08:32 AM. Reason: Removed 99designs link

We don't rate designs that you didn't design.
    (your link doesn't work anyway.)
    There is a heck of a lot more to a proper rebranding than buying a crowd sourced pretty picture. Most of those 'designers' will not be getting paid for the work they do, and put just about that much effort into creating something for you.
    Besides,
    Don't you think it mighty odd to ask pro designers what they think of the junk you might purchase on website like that, while also asking for opinions on what could be tweaked to make the junk better?

(For the record, I do print, not design, but the optics on this request are just as bad from my point of view.)

Comment

I'm sorry tireguy, but the forum rules only allow for critiques of one's own work. The rules prohibit critiquing a third party's work.

I will say, however, that the crowdsourcing contest sites, like the one you've hired, are not well-liked by professional designers. First, no professional designer outside of third world countries can make a decent living from entering contests. Second, they deny the client the most valuable thing a designer can offer, which is consultations about target audience engagement, branding strategies, brand integration, etc. Third, aside from those third-world designers who can get by on a few bucks per day, most participants in these contests aren't professional designers at all -- they're teenagers and hobbyists.

To put thing in perspective, if a potential customer came into your shop and proposed having you deliver several sofas or bookcases to his home or business to try out for few days. And, maybe, if he liked one of them, he would buy it for three quarters off the normal price, would you accept the offer?

Comment

You guys need to relax... I was only asking for those willing to star rank a couple designs options not a deep dive opinions on the globalism effects on your industry. I do find it funny you guys think you can speak for people you donít know on the other side of the world about what is good or not for them. They may love what they do and these websites give them the abilitu to provide for their family. iím sure it hard for you to realize others all over the world can and are willing to do exaftly what you do for a fraction of the cost. This is the global world all professionals have to adapt so better get off your high horse quickly or youíll just be bitter and broke. Thanks for nothing.

Comment

A friendly bit of advice:
          Whatever you pick, run it by the Trademark office before sinking a lot of funds into your rebranding.

Just sayin'................

Comment

I think Tireguy missed the main point, which is that he and others who use these contest sites are often doing themselves a disservice.

At best, what contest sites provide to clients are cheap, pretty logo-like shapes and symbols that appeal to client tastes. Those logos, as PD implied, are often ripoffs of others and, as as often as not, contain elements that are ill-suited to meet production, marketing and usage requirements. At worst, clients open themselves up, with little recourse, to trademark violation issues, legal hassles and expensive brand equity loss and forced makeovers.

Successful crowdsourcing artists typically bang logos out as rapidly as possible. They spend no time researching and analyzing client needs, target audience engagement, what client competitors are doing, audience demographics, marketing strategies, cost-effective implementations, or brand development and integration. Instead, they prey on client ignorance by simply giving people what they want instead of consulting with them about what they need and what will work best to achieve both short- and long-term client objectives.

In many ways, they're equivalent to online physicians providing pills on demand to naive patients they've never met or diagnosed.

Since we can no longer look at the actual logo Tireguy linked to, I suppose I can use what I saw as an example. It was a nice-looking series of letters and shapes made from very thin lines. Logos made from thin lines are interesting and a bit trendy right now (the recent LogoLounge books are full of them).

But is it the right logo for Tireguy's business? I don't know. I know almost nothing about his furniture business other than it involves "modern, industrial furniture." The logo might have a modern, industrial aesthetic, but I have no way of knowing if it's appropriate without researching Tireguy's business, looking at what he sells, researching his competitors, analyzing the customers he wants to target and considering how he will need to use the logo in possible marketing efforts. Of course, the the online designer hoping to make some pocket change, after the crowdsourcing site took it's cut, did not do these things either.

As for brand integration and production issues, if Tireguy, for example, ever needs a storefront sign, a logo consisting of nothing but thin monolines will impose serious production limitations and costs, and it will come with built-in legibility issues that will interfere with the effectiveness of the sign.

Tireguy's right about designers being concerned about losing business to overseas designers and high school kids with copies of Photoshop and Illustrator. It's a serious issue for those designers who have made their livings catering to budget-minded startups and small businesses. But what clients, like Tireguy, should be concerned with is doing themselves a disservice by locking themselves into a branding path that is ill-conceived, poorly researched, unplanned, amateurish and ultimately detrimental to their businesses.

Comment

Yuck. Thin line logos....
              The kind that like to wizzle up when you laser cut them in Acrylic, that break when you make them out of sign foam, that bend and distort when you try to CNC cut them in aluminum, that you can't easily make into channel letters because there's no way to get in there to solder them, that you can't put LEDs into them because there is no room unless they are really really large, and that look like crap when lit because of shadow interaction. This is a trend that needs to end soon.
              As far as furniture goes, not sure I want anything that looks spindly and unsubstantial, even if considered modern. So tired of things that break.

Yikes, I just looked at logolounge's 2017 trends.
              https://www.logolounge.com/articles/2017-logo-trends
              It's going to cost a lot of people a LOT of money to realize some of those in anything other than online or flat CMYK print.
              When are designers going to be taught that fuzzy drop shadows are an effect that involves transparency?
              When are they going to be taught that transparency and spot colors are a technical foul that causes all kinds of production issues in digital printing?
              When are they going to be taught that the blends on a transparency effect flatten into an uncontrolled third color? (I can guarantee you that the Mastercard logo shown on that trend page is a 3-spot color logo, not a transparency blend.)
              When are they going to be taught that most print processes do not do gradients from 0% to 100% and depending on the color build most likely will band on output?
              When are they going to be taught that each individual color represents one more charge in the color match process or relegates the art to uncontrolled CMYK output?

/rant.

Other than whining about output, these crowdsourced logos keep me in business. On many an occasion I've worked with a client to make their logo production ready, everything from cleaning up stacked crap and white box covers, to sorting out unclosed shapes and 360'd bezier handles. I've worked with clients to determine Pantone spot colors when none were applied and will even help them with a brand standard if asked.
              The work, it ain't free.
              Last edited by PrintDriver; 12-02-2017, 01:51 PM.

Comment

The biggest irony in Tireguy's bellyaching is his championing the "business owner" while taking a piss at other "business owners".

He want free stuff, probably never gave away free tires. So it goes. Didn't even BOTHER to read why we don't crit work not submitted buy the designer.

Talk about a high horse.
                Keep Saturn in Saturnalia.

Comment

Originally posted by tireguy View Post
                  ...others all over the world can and are willing to do exaftly what you do for a fraction of the cost.
                  This only proves you don't have a clue about what we do. Freud would drool over your misspelling of "exactly."
                  I'd rather be killed than come to your party, but if you don't invite me, I'll kill myself.

Comment

Here's a business card. I designed it. So I may post it. The bill is in the mail.

Click image for larger version

Name:	TireGuyBC.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	21662

Comment

You guys didn't read the brief very well.
                      TireGuy sells furniture....

Comment

Changes Made.
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	tire-guyV2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	21663

Comment

Originally posted by PrintDriver View Post
                          Obviously a branding expert.
                          I'd rather be killed than come to your party, but if you don't invite me, I'll kill myself.

Comment

Maybe he just REALLY enjoys tires. you know, like.. a hobby. Outside of the daily grind of the furniture industry.

Comment

• HotButton
                              HotButton commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Hm...can't imagine enjoying tires to that extent...perhaps the aroma...

• Biggs097
                              Biggs097 commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Or he collects them! like stamps. Really big stamps.

• B
                              B commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Tires, furniture, hey, they're one and the same:: https://www.pinterest.com/explore/tire-table/

Besides, who doesn't love the aroma of rubber wafting through the house?

Originally posted by PrintDriver View Post
                            Seems like a great tagline as well. isn't it?

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Breanne.C
                              Reply to Helloooooo!
                              Breanne.C
                              Actually, I do have a print related issue if you'd like to take a stab at helping me with. Should I post in the correct category with the issue and picture that goes with it?
                              Today, 10:29 PM
                            • Breanne.C
                              Reply to Font ID Please
                              Breanne.C
                              Oh yeah.

Catorze27 Style 1 Bold best matched it, for the exception of the M, which I easily was able to fix....
                              Today, 10:14 PM
                            • B
                              Reply to Logo Design - Font to match and go alongside chosen logo
                              B
                              You'll need to add an email address for interested designers to contact you and work out details offline.
                              Today, 04:34 PM
                            • Peter3v
                              Logo Design - Font to match and go alongside chosen logo
                              Peter3v
                              Dear Sir/Madam,

I'm the owner of a recruitment company whom has a logo that they are happy with BUT would like the name of the recruitment business to be to the immediate right of the logo...
                              Today, 12:40 PM
                            • PrintDriver
                              Reply to Poster for a school project
                              PrintDriver
                              Still doesn't help the student figure out how to come up with a viable concept. If they had done even the tiniest bit of research, your ''concept'' would have been easily discovered. It's on just about...
                              Today, 06:54 AM
                            GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright © 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                            Working...
                            X