Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What program could I use to create a logo in this style?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What program could I use to create a logo in this style?

I've attached a photo of a logo that is similar to the logo I'm trying to make. I'm wondering what program(s) would be good for making this type of logo and what technique is used. Also, can someone tell me what the effect seen in this typography is that makes it look like you're looking up at it from slightly below it?

Click image for larger version

Name:	logo.png
Views:	1
Size:	14.9 KB
ID:	21650

Thanks!

Adobe Illustrator would be my first choice. As for a technique, it's just a matter of skillfully using some of the tools. The effect comes from an understanding of perspective and drawing. There's no filter or button to get you all the way there, though, if that's what you're asking.

Comment

Illustrator is the obvious choice but you have to pretty much do it yourself, as B said, with the understanding of how to do perspective artwork.
      This logo is done in simple 1-point perspective.
      How to video here:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ICyLN6I2cY

Don't fall into the trap of using illustrator's 3D filter though. While you might get something close to this, because of the shading you will have a mass of stitching and hidden crap that would be more trouble than it's worth to remove. My recommendation, when using the 3D filter is to turn the light source off so you get the solid shapes with no silly gradient splices, then hand color it yourself.

On the other hand, the sign-making software I use, does this in a couple of clicks but you don't want to be paying over $1500 for that...

BTW, gradients in logos are bad form.

Comment

Originally posted by B View Post
        Adobe Illustrator would be my first choice. As for a technique, it's just a matter of skillfully using some of the tools. The effect comes from an understanding of perspective and drawing. There's no filter or button to get you all the way there, though, if that's what you're asking.
        Thanks for the tips!

Comment

Adobe Illustrator is fine for this. And Adobe Photoshop any version after 7 will do.

Comment

Photoshop should not be used to create logos.
            Just. No.

Comment

Originally posted by penny27 View Post
              And Adobe Photoshop any version after 7 will do.
              Sorry Penny27, that's not good advice. Other than for special purposes of one sort or another, logos should always be built in a scalable vector format, not a resolution-dependent raster format.

Comment

Hi Tapiture and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
                Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

You can create it using Adobe photoshop or illustrator. Also check few online logo making tools. You may find this text format in one of the online tools.

Comment

Hi Harrisleonard and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
                    Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Originally posted by harrisleonard View Post
                      You can...
                      Yes, you can do a lot of things...
                      • Use a butter knife to pry something
                      • Clean your contact lenses with puddle water
                      • Haul garbage in a Ferrari
                      • Get downstairs faster by jumping over the rail
                      • Eat sushi you bought at a gas station
                      • Write a 2000-page novel because you're a fast typer
                      • Design a logo using a raster image editor
                      I'd rather be killed than come to your party, but if you don't invite me, I'll kill myself.

Comment

Originally posted by HotButton View Post

Yes, you can do a lot of things...
                        • Use a butter knife to pry something
                        • Clean your contact lenses with puddle water
                        • Haul garbage in a Ferrari
                        • Get downstairs faster by jumping over the rail
                        • Eat sushi you bought at a gas station
                        • Write a 2000-page novel because you're a fast typer
                        • Design a logo using a raster image editor
                        I see what you are saying. But those image editor images can be polished to better version using Photoshop.

Comment

• HotButton
                          HotButton commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Uhhmm...Photoshop IS a raster image editor.

it was only a matter of time before online logo-making tools was mentioned. LOL.
                        Again.
                        Just. NO.
                        Especially if the output is a raster file, like a lot of them are.
                        Useless.

Now it makes me wonder how many of the crowdsourced logos are created daily with online logo generators.
                        <shudder>
                        Last edited by PrintDriver; 12-04-2017, 12:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by harrisleonard View Post
                          I see what you are saying. But those image editor images can be polished to better version using Photoshop.
                          I don't think you do see what HotButton was saying.

Using Photoshop to tweak, polish or fancy up a logo is just fine if doing so is for a specific purpose, like an online banner or a video or for making a fancy version of the logo for a particular purpose at a specific resolution.

For most every other purpose, though, Photoshop is absolutely not the right tool, and is rarely, if ever, the right tool for the original logo design and creation. A logo designed and built in Photoshop will cause nothing but expensive problems and impose serious limitations for its owner going forward.

For example, you can't enlarge a Photoshop-built logo without it losing resolution, the edges will never be sharp because of anti-aliasing issues. the logos will never take advantage of the high output resolutions from digital printing or plate and imagesetters, the logos can't be separated into spot colors, the logos will create all kinds of problems when needing to be used to cut vinyl, etch glass, be embroidered on clothing, run as black and white (not grayscale), screen printed onto t-shirts, embossed or foil stamped onto letterhead and business cards, etc.

Comment

will create all kinds of problems when needing to be used to cut vinyl, etch glass, be embroidered on clothing, run as black and white (not grayscale), screen printed onto t-shirts, embossed or foil stamped onto letterhead and business cards, etc.
                            It won't just create problems, None of that can be done with a Photoshop file. At least not without some serious set up time or if the logo happens to be a vector smart object for some bizarre reason.
                            You should check sometime what printers charge for desktop system time to fix that stuff.
                            Let's just put it this way, the hourly rate is often more than some people pay for their logos on popular crowdsouce sites.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                            Working...
                            X