Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Projects to spruce up portfolio

Hello everyone.

I'm a graphic designer, graduated from college in 2014. Currently I'm unemployed, having most recently worked for a publishing company. Working at 2 advertising agencies prior, my portfolio work is mainly from clients at those positions in agencies (which were made 2 or more years ago).

I'm looking to add some new work to my portfolio as I'm trying to get back into a position where my main role is as a Graphic Designer. Does anyone have any suggestions for projects that I could add to my portfolio? I'm thinking just fun projects, you know, rebranding some logos or designing materials for a made-up client or something.

If anyone can give me some tips, it would be greatly appreciated.

You can see my work at be.net/kgbarry or kgbcreative.co (not com)

Hi Kbarry and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
    Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Real world stuff trumps make-believe any day of the week.
      If you already have some high end stuff in your portfolio, why muddy the waters with fakery. It might bring into question whether or not you really did the work you did do.

Are you worried about the work appearing dated or past-trending? If so I'd be more apt to update something and show old vs new, rather than some totally off the grid fake logo make-over that required no client feedback interaction and had no real world application.

But that's just me.

Comment

Originally posted by PrintDriver View Post
        Real world stuff trumps make-believe any day of the week.
        If you already have some high end stuff in your portfolio, why muddy the waters with fakery. It might bring into question whether or not you really did the work you did do.

Are you worried about the work appearing dated or past-trending? If so I'd be more apt to update something and show old vs new, rather than some totally off the grid fake logo make-over that required no client feedback interaction and had no real world application.

But that's just me.
        To be honest, some of it is dated. I've been in publishing for a couple of years and although I did do graphic design, there were several other things I did. Not a lot of things that are incredibly worth showing..

I appreciate the feedback though. I would agree that something that's real is definitely better. So when you say old vs. new, I take that you're suggesting that I update some of my existing projects and show that? I like that idea.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• B
          Reply to Graphic Design Portfolio
          B
          Graphic design almost always centers around a point, and that point usually has to do with influencing a target audience. Attractiveness -- as in looking good -- is typically more effective in doing that...
          Today, 01:50 PM
        • KitchWitch
          KitchWitch
          Hi AJ and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything...
          Today, 01:26 PM
        • PrintDriver
          PrintDriver
          A student of design these days needs to do everything possible to be working in the industry. Internships and part time work. You need to get experience to get ahead out there. Internships are usually...
          Today, 12:56 PM
        • HotButton
          HotButton
          In my opinion, work that's simply attractive won't necessarily lower the value of your portfolio, but you would come off as a much better candidate (for anything) if the pieces you show are accompanied...
          Today, 11:32 AM
        • Craig B
          Reply to Need some advice from Graphic Designers working in the industry
          Craig B
          I will say (and it's not a guarantee, but it can help), if you live in a big enough metroplex, sign up with a placement agency. Our company has used Aquent and Creative Circle. We've hired on contractors...
          Today, 11:22 AM
        GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
        Working...
        X