Work from UK for an US company

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Work from UK for an US company

Good morning. Let's see if anyone can help me with this issue i have.

I'm moving to UK next month and the company I work for in US wants me to keep working for them remotely.
    Anyone knows what I need to do? What kind of contract I need to sign with my company?
    And once in UK, what do I need to do to? How should i fill out taxes? Should I receive the money in an american bank account, or a british one?
    Anyone in a similar position? Or working in UK for a foreign company?
    Maybe anyone knows where should I go or ask about this questions? My company is a bit lost about this since they've never done it before.

Thank you and I would appreciate your help!

What I do know is the time difference will be a factor. I'm in the UK but I play MMO a lot online with US players. East Coast is 5hrs behind, West Coast is 8hrs behind so if your company is in Seattle for instance you may find yourself working into the night. 9am to 5pm there would be 5pm to 1am in the UK.
    Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana

Comment

• PrintDriver
      PrintDriver commented
      Editing a comment
      I do business with people in the UK a lot. Because the gig they hire us for is going to be in the US, they time shift their design staff so they are available during US Eastern Time. It's the only way things can be dealt with in a timely manner.

Hi, you might find the UK Government website useful in finding your answers.

https://www.gov.uk/tax-foreign-income
    Last edited by KitchWitch; 12-12-2017, 02:14 PM. Reason: fixed link

Comment

I think it shouldn't be a problem since you will be working remotely. You can get the wages in USA bank account to avoid tax issues in the UK. It may depend on what visa category your are applying in the UK. I don't think you need to pay tax to the UK government.

Comment

All I can suggest is consult a tax expert in the UK. If your company doesn't mind you moonlighting like this, maybe they could suggest someone for you.
        Income is Income and the Gov always seems to want their share of it.
        The other part of it is the company hiring you may possibly have to report under a 1099 or some other IRS form that they are paying you. No idea how that works either. If income money is changing hands, even with a US bank account, Uncle Sam always gets his cut.
        Last edited by PrintDriver; 12-12-2017, 05:16 PM.

Comment

Thank you Appmacguy That site will definitely help.
          Faye F. Cagle i don't need to apply for a visa since I'm a citizen of Spain but definitely will have to see how to pay my taxes.
          PrintDriver I was also thinking I might enroll as a self-employee and submit invoices for work every time the company needs it. In that case the company would be hiring me for my work and not as an employee of them. A Tax Expert would help.

Comment

I was also thinking I might enroll as a self-employee and submit invoices for work every time the company needs it. In that case the company would be hiring me for my work and not as an employee of them.
            Then you would be a business operating in the UK subject to all the laws and taxes of being a business in the UK.
            Definitely cover your bases.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• kaila58
              Reply to Portfolio critique
              kaila58
              Good point, but in my opinion it's distracting in a portfolio and lacks attention to detail when displaying work.
              Yesterday, 11:30 PM
            • PrintDriver
              Reply to Portfolio critique
              PrintDriver
              Ha, I noticed the printing and registration marks and thought it refreshing to see a designer who knows to include them....
              Yesterday, 10:00 PM
            • B
              Reply to Is my job keeping me from doing good work?
              B
              One of the problems with in-house situations is that, as often as not, the upper management's expertise lies in areas other than marketing, communication or creative. Worse still, is that they don't know...
              Yesterday, 10:00 PM
            • PrintDriver
              Reply to Designer input for a card sort activity!
              PrintDriver
              Envato? Really? LOL

Y'all sure this ain't an ad?...
              Yesterday, 09:58 PM
            • PrintDriver
              Reply to Is my job keeping me from doing good work?
              PrintDriver
              This might come across as a snobbish perspective. And I do work in a very weird corner of the design industry, where the theatrical/digital/print world all intersect.
              That said...
              When our...
              Yesterday, 09:51 PM
            GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
            Working...
            X