Announcement

Collapse

Critical Announcement

With great regret, we would like to inform you that the decision has been made to close down www.GraphicDesignForum.com as of January 31, 2018.

The community has started www.GraphicDesignForum.org to continue the discussion.
See more
See less

Ipad pro as more than a supplemental design tool?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ipad pro as more than a supplemental design tool?

Hi my name is James, new here and am wondering if anybody has had any experience with the iPad pro as more than just a design tool. Let me elaborate. I recently had to give up my computer to pay a few bills, and as such, for a temporary time, I do not have access to full adobe CC apps. I have an iPad pro with the apple pencil and have been exploring Adobe draw, adobe sketch, procreate, autodesk sketchbook, a few other adobe apps and today purchased autodesk graphic (supposedly a mobile vector program that claims to have the functionality of a desktop program). My question is whether or not it is viable, even for a short time to use the iPad pro for graphic design work? I have 6 years design experience and am very much used to working on a computer. I mainly do logo design, vector illustration, business cards design, posters, flyers, and other information design. I am also considering exploring digital art, drawing and painting. I have seen a lot of artwork in today's age being drawn and painted digitally using programs like procreate, however, I find it difficult to take 20 years of traditional arts experience and translate that into digital drawing and painting. Though digitally you can make and erase infinite mistakes, which is a plus, but those mistakes are very much more painfully clear. In any case, any advice, opinions or thoughts are greatly appreciated. Thank you.

It is great especially the 12.9,with iOS 11. It is fast works extremely well with the pencil, has great color and integrates well with all apple products.

Comment

I don't have any experience with the iPad.
      What I'm gaining is more and more experience with items designed in programs other than the Adobe suite. As a printer/fabricator, not always good experience.

The most important thing you have to determine is if any of those programs you listed are supported enough to get your designs into output. I gather you use pretty much a PDF work flow for hand off. Gotta admit though I've seen some pretty wacky errors come out of vector art, mostly dealing with the different ways programs handle transparency effects, raster effects in general (drop shadows and glows,) gradients, and their support or more often nonsupport of Pantone or even CMYK color spaces.

If you have a good grasp on your output side, it shouldn't matter what you work on as long as the end result is something you, your printer and, in the case of logos, your client's vendors, can work with.
      Proceed with care.

Comment

Hi Jwwood and Vjiadis and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
        Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• sumon_77
          What do you guys think about this designe ?
          sumon_77

What do you guys think about this gig design ?...
          Today, 06:36 AM
        • sumon_77
          Reply to T-shirt designe
          sumon_77
          i like it so much....
          Today, 06:22 AM
        • MattCarson
          Reply to Any similar font?
          MattCarson
          hello Troep, do you search it in google font? If you are not searched search still now, then do it. I don't tell you that you find that font but I hope you should find a similar one.
          Today, 04:09 AM
        • B
          Reply to Freelancing - Going out on your own
          B
          I've always had a side business doing work for various clients, but I've never bitten the bullet and taken the chance of doing it full-time. Honestly, I'm a little envious of you. Good luck!
          Yesterday, 11:52 PM
        • Jess_
          Freelancing - Going out on your own
          Jess_
          After 10 years of working for other people as a graphic designer I've decided to go out on my own! I'm not going to to quit my full-time design job until I have everything lined-up but I've made up my...
          Yesterday, 10:21 PM
        GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
        Working...
        X