Portfolio and past work advice?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Portfolio and past work advice?

Hi everybody, i recently started a graphic design university program.

For the past 3-4 years i've been practicing my graphics stuff on social media for gaming communities.
    I have one concern about some of my work not being (not sure if this is the right way to describe it) legit, ethically sourced?!?!

Let me explain what i mean.
    First of all, this is my current portfolio: https://www.behance.net/ja-gfx .
    I used some images found on the internet and manipulated them to create some specific effects. I think they are well integrated in my work without giving too much the idea of 'copy and paste'.
    Im moving to a more professional portfolio which will be my website and i was hoping to put some of those works but i hesitate a bit.

I would appreciate anybody's thought on this matter... am i overthinking it? Should i just put them up and hope for the best? Should i also stop doing that kind of designs for some reason?
    Thanks in advance and happy Holidays to everybody! 🎅

If the artwork is ''fan art'' there's been sort of a don't look, hands-off approach to it. Not always though. If the trademark owner has a mind to, they will send a C&D.

Sig work and Avatar creation doesn't have any place in a professional portfolio though. Show your mad skillz in Photoshop in your University work and maybe some of your internship assignments, if you get the chance. Or change it out for some legit illustration work using any number of free-stock photo sites.

Comment

Originally posted by JunaidAhmed View Post
      Hi everybody, i recently started a graphic design university program.

For the past 3-4 years i've been practicing my graphics stuff on social media for gaming communities.

I would appreciate anybody's thought on this matter... am i overthinking it?
      You asked, so I'll give some honest, unvarnished feedback.

You're not overthinking it. For that matter, you're beginning to realize that your previous work is a bit amateurish and probably has no place going forward.

Your work shows a considerable amount of basic design talent, but it's typical of the kind of naive, over-the-top stuff that reflects an adolescent's tastes. You'll have that view of the world shredded to pieces in your university design program, and you'll look back at your pre-university work in ten years and wonder what you were thinking.

The work you did on the jerseys in your portfolio shows a whole lot more sophistication and maturity than your photo illustration work.

Like I said, your work shows talent, and you should do well in your design program if you're willing to move past what you've done up to this point. If you've enrolled in a good program, you'll have your work torn apart and your ideas challenged at every turn in the road. All this will be good because it will expose you to new ways of thinking and force you to question your own ideas and views.

Comment

I appreciate both of you for taking time and respond.
        I understand that work like that sits in a very specific and limited area.
        I also don't get a chance to experiment those styles in my courses so i figured that stuff like that won't make my future.
        Should i then keep it away from my clients or companies who might look up my portfolio? Should i erase it and stop it asap to not take the risk of getting in trouble with some trademark owners? Thanks again for the consideration.

Comment

I agree with B - your jerseys definitely showcase some unrefined talent. You should try to focus on those abilities, and let go of the gamer environment for awhile. Try to focus on your studies and designing for real world usage. Best of luck to you.
          Hip Hop just died this morning.

Comment

It really depends on your clients and your job.
            For instance, if you were applying to a sign shop that does custom vehicle wraps or object wraps or themed environment wall wraps, you might get some mileage out of properly sourced art. You would keep that stuff in your portfolio for that kind of interview. Not so much for that job at the bank.

But that type of art goes along with a lot of the mundane design stuff a sign shop has to deal with on a daily basis, unless you are really good at original art and become a commodity in your own right or get in with a really busy wrap shop.

Here is just one example of a custom printed car wrap using Aurora's stock art.
            https://www.auroragraphics.net/view_....php?imgId=633
            That's not painted on there.

Here are some wall wraps. Again not painted.
            https://www.google.com/search?q=wall...w=1248&bih=632

I don't like to squash photoshop talent. It does have it's place. But get beyond the gamer thing, and decide what you want to do with your career. Trust me, at age 50+ you do not want to be wrapping cars.......But having someone else do it while you design? Maybe. Until the next best thing comes along. There is printer out there now that will direct print on the sides of semi-trailers without having to wrap. It's only a matter of time for the laser guided 3D inkjet printer big enough to do a car...
            Last edited by PrintDriver; 12-26-2017, 08:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JunaidAhmed View Post
              Should i then keep it away from my clients or companies who might look up my portfolio?
              I have no interest in the whole gamer thing, so it would be easy for me to say to give it up, but I won't. If you're really interested in that kind of look, pursuing it as a side thing probably won't hurt. Once out of school, having it in your portfolio will tend to pigeonhole you into an niche area of the profession that you might or might not want to be in (read PrintDriver's post).

For school, though, I'd probably suggest not trying to incorporate it into your school work assignments. Depending on your school, your professors will likely be a little dismissive of it and push you in another direction. As Aid4design mentioned, I think it would be good to concentrate on learning new approaches in school that will broaden your abilities out to match up with career opportunities in the real world. If down the road, after you graduate, you still want to pursue the kind of thing you've been doing up until now, you'll still have that option, but you'll be able to do so from a much broader perspective.

One thing to always keep in mind is that the profession of graphic design is not about personal expression. That's what fine art is for. Graphic design is about solving visual communication problems for clients, and those solutions may or may not always line up with your personal likes and dislikes.

Comment

Hi Junaid and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
                Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Originally posted by B View Post
                  Graphic design is about solving visual communication problems for clients, and those solutions may or may not always line up with your personal likes and dislikes.
                  This needs to be a big "oh!" or "aha!" moment for SO MANY people... but I digress.
                  Hip Hop just died this morning.

Comment

• PrintDriver
                    PrintDriver commented
                    Editing a comment
                    It usually is. About 3 days into that first design job right out of school. It's a great disservice to future designers that schools allow students to self-direct their design projects, working on only what interests them in a way that may be easy for them. My school was guilty of this too. Very eye-opening first internship, first project was a baseball poster. I happen to have no interest at all in baseball. But you do the research, check the styling, get the output specs and get down to it, run it by a few people who do like baseball, and send out for approval. Move on to next project.

• aid4design
                    aid4design commented
                    Editing a comment
                    exactly.

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• StudioMonkey
                  Reply to Bleed problem! Image to the edge
                  StudioMonkey
                  It is quite impossible to cut a stack of paper exactly on the trim marks. Apart from the accuracy of the cut, which can be problematic, there are other factors;

- if printed on a digital...
                  Today, 06:32 AM
                • StudioMonkey
                  Comment on Help Creating Textures In Illustrator
                  StudioMonkey
                  This is how I do it too - take a few quick photos of interesting surfaces while you're out and about and then play around with them in PhotoShop. Once you've done a few like this you get a better idea...
                  Today, 06:13 AM
                • StudioMonkey
                  Reply to Vistaprint debacle
                  StudioMonkey
                  Wow
                  Today, 06:06 AM
                • kaila58
                  Reply to Portfolio critique
                  kaila58
                  Good point, but in my opinion it's distracting in a portfolio and lacks attention to detail when displaying work.
                  Yesterday, 11:30 PM
                • PrintDriver
                  Reply to Portfolio critique
                  PrintDriver
                  Ha, I noticed the printing and registration marks and thought it refreshing to see a designer who knows to include them....
                  Yesterday, 10:00 PM
                GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                Working...
                X