Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to Order 12" x 18" Paper for Digital Printer

Hello everyone
    We are moving some of our printing in-house, so I need to find good paper stock and not the typical copier paper that is currently being used in our office.

What are some resources?

If it matters, it's a Canon printer with a fiery. The Canon sales reps weren't of much use as to where to best purchase the paper.
    Thanks

You don't say where you are located. If you are in the US most major cities have a paper supplier that deals with commercial printers. However, many of them have minimum orders that may require you to buy more paper than you need. I find much of what I need by googling the sheet size and weight.

Janet

Comment

For 12" x 18" you might want to look into Super B-A3 sources. It's 13" x 19" so it gives you room to cut down for full bleed.
      If you stick with OEM Canon paper, the machine profile will be on board the rip.
      If you go with non-oem, your color management mileage may vary.
      Last edited by PrintDriver; 12-29-2017, 09:35 AM.

Comment

"The Canon sales reps weren't of much use as to where to best purchase the paper." Really? Not exactly opportunists there in Canon's camp. Perhaps the decision makers should have been more prudent and gone with someone like Xerox, who would be happy to restock you monthly with pencil sharpener shavings, if that's what you needed.
        I'd rather be killed than come to your party, but if you don't invite me, I'll kill myself.

Comment

Hi Marian43 and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
        Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

It's usual that Canon didn't offer their line up of overpriced, mediocre substrates. Dont get me wrong, I actually really like Canon's. I ran two C7000 ImagePress' side by side quite a few years. They have some of the best color in the digital print industry if you're talking mid-level production equipment.

As for paper, if you're in the USA, try Lindenmeyr Munroe. Exceptional pricing, good sales reps, and fast delivery. They also stock just about every paper imaginable.

May I ask what Canon you decided to go with? A lot of their new machines are equipped with the new V-Cel laser systems, and support substrates 350-gsm/16 pt in thickness. Impressive for their price point.

If you haven't used a Fiery or CommandWorkstation before - take all the training that's offered. It's a great system.

Comment

Lindenmeyr Munroe is great if you are East of the Mississippi.
            They get spread a little thin in the western part of the US.
            Their affiliates, Kelly Paper and Spicers Paper do handle the Left Coast.
            Last edited by PrintDriver; 01-02-2018, 10:26 AM.

Comment

Good to know! Yes, i'm in NJ. Been using Lindenmeyr for over a decade - couldn't be happier.
              Part of me feels bad for not supporting a small paper supplier, but LM is tough to compete with.

Comment

Yeah, we don't use em so much for paper as for their paper board products. They handle distribution for a few of the flatbed products out there. We don't have a Canon, but the reps who do sell the machines do handle media product other than their OEM stuff.
                Last edited by PrintDriver; 01-02-2018, 01:00 PM.

Comment

Hi, have you thought of going to your local printers and asking them? They are more than happy to cut paper to whatever size you want.

Comment

• PrintDriver
                    PrintDriver commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Then you pay for the paper, the printer vendor's markup, and a cutting charge.
                    And hope the cut sheets work with the printer's feed device.
                    It may or may not be worth it.

• atlantis b
                    atlantis b commented
                    Editing a comment
                    True, but I am sure if you were to throw some work his/her way?

• PrintDriver
                    PrintDriver commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Um.....how does he pay for the time it takes the guy to do the cutting? And for his overhead costs while the lights are on to do it?
                    The print vendor is in business as well. While discounts can and do happen, throwing ''some'' work or worse, only promising to ''send'' some work, yeah, heard that a million times. ''Just do this prototype print for free. There are 100 stores these will be going into and I promise you the work...'' Uh huh...

Originally posted by atlantis b View Post
                  Hi, have you thought of going to your local printers and asking them? They are more than happy to cut paper to whatever size you want.

Hi Atlantis and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
                  Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

I can actually be fined for selling paper directly to a customer without printing on it. The company buys the stock as a wholesale component product. Which means I must transform the component in some way before re-selling.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                    Working...
                    X