Announcement

Collapse

Critical Announcement

With great regret, we would like to inform you that the decision has been made to close down www.GraphicDesignForum.com as of January 31, 2018.

The community has started www.GraphicDesignForum.org to continue the discussion.
See more
See less

Looking for a tablet and advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a tablet and advice

Hello all. I wasn't sure where to ask this, so here I am. My daughter's 14th birthday is coming up and she's an amazing artist (as far as I can tell) and she loves doing her drawings on her PC. She has a drawing desk that she uses regularly, but when she draws on her PC, she uses the mouse because she doesn't have a tablet. I gave her an old Wacom from a friend a few years back and she couldn't get used to the fact that she has to look at the screen while writing on the pad. It's ridiculous because she still uses a mouse for ideas and a lot of designs. But when she's at her desk drawing is where she shines. I want to buy her a nice tablet for her birthday, but I wanted to get her one with a screen that she can draw directly to. I know she would love to have one like that, but I wanted to get to know more before I bought something.

​I can't afford the $1000 Cintiq. My budget is about 600 bucks, give or take. I was looking through the reviews of the HUION KAMVAS 156HD V2 and the GT-220 V2 and it seems like a good choice, but I'm not positive on what would be best for her. I was looking at the X-Pen and Ugee brands too. She likes to draw animations and flipbook style cartoon characters. At the same time she'll draw realistic animals with all nice shading and shadows, etc. Her go to favorite softwares are Sketchbook and she wants to start using Toon Boom. Also, the more screen space I can get for the money, the better, as long as it doesn't take away better features for the price.

​I wanted to see what options I should be considering based on what she'll be using it for. Another question I had was do they make a nice tablet this style that lets you draw things away from the PC? Even if it's something cheaper that she can use to sketch or come up with ideas that I can kind of just add to her birthday gift as an accessory. I'm that kind of dad that has no idea what I should be getting her, but I want to encourage her artist interests as much as possible.

​Sorry for the long first post. Thanks though!

Hi Relic1882 and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
    Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

I just bought a HUION KAMVAS GT-221 Pro and am quite pleased with it. I've had Cintiq's in the past. It cost $799. with no tax or shipping costs.

For standalone I'd recommend an iPad Pro with pencil.

Comment

Thanks for the input. I got some more money and said screw it, she's worth it. I pulled the trigger and ordered the gt-221 pro. Seems like a good starting point for a 14 year old. She can't compare it to the Wacom so she should be happy with it.

Comment

FYI:

The pressure sensitivity on the pen is very good but it's a bit firm. You can adjust it however, in driver.

The color settings right out of the box aren't good but they can be adjusted via the monitor controls and the color profile in your system.

Comment

I would recommend looking at Wacom Intuos Pro digital graphic drawing tablet. It sells for $349 on Amazon.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• sumon_77
              What do you guys think about this designe ?
              sumon_77

What do you guys think about this gig design ?...
              Today, 06:36 AM
            • sumon_77
              Reply to T-shirt designe
              sumon_77
              i like it so much....
              Today, 06:22 AM
            • MattCarson
              Reply to Any similar font?
              MattCarson
              hello Troep, do you search it in google font? If you are not searched search still now, then do it. I don't tell you that you find that font but I hope you should find a similar one.
              Today, 04:09 AM
            • B
              Reply to Freelancing - Going out on your own
              B
              I've always had a side business doing work for various clients, but I've never bitten the bullet and taken the chance of doing it full-time. Honestly, I'm a little envious of you. Good luck!
              Yesterday, 11:52 PM
            • Jess_
              Freelancing - Going out on your own
              Jess_
              After 10 years of working for other people as a graphic designer I've decided to go out on my own! I'm not going to to quit my full-time design job until I have everything lined-up but I've made up my...
              Yesterday, 10:21 PM
            GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
            Working...
            X