Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Font used for the Rolls Royce logo

Hello,

Quick question, does anybody know the font(s) used for creating the Rolls Royce logo?
    Attached Files

I'm not sure but have you tried these resources: http://www.myfonts.com/WhatTheFont/
    http://www.identifont.com and Fonts.com 'Search by Sight' feature

Comment

I bet its hand drawn. Just a guess.
      A little smilie goes a long way.

Comment

definately a custom brand, i have worked for RR before and this brand dates back (albeit with updates over the years) for centuries!!!

you might get close but never smack on!!!
        Me, drunk? i have only had tee martoonies!

Comment

did you know...when rolls royce first came out the r's were red, then one one passed away (not sure if it was mr. rolls or mr. royce) one r was red one was black, when the other passed away the both became black r's.
          Steeler Born, Steeler Bred And When I Die I'll be Steeler Dead!

Comment

Originally posted by vtwin_gary
            did you know...when rolls royce first came out the r's were red, then one one passed away (not sure if it was mr. rolls or mr. royce) one r was red one was black, when the other passed away the both became black r's.
            thats pretty interesting!
            Aspire to Inspire before you Expire

Comment

Originally posted by vtwin_gary

I had no idea ..... thats very interesting gary ...... thank you

Daily Trivia Game ...GDF Fantasy Football League

Comment

Originally posted by twogun
                definately a custom brand, i have worked for RR before and this brand dates back (albeit with updates over the years) for centuries!!!

you might get close but never smack on!!!

how old are automobiles?
                My Site

Comment

The first one was invented in 1885, in Germany, by Karl Benz. So 121 years old. Rolls Royce was founded in 1906.

I agree that it's no doubt a custom font, probably hand drawn if it's their logo from the original founding (minus the red that Gary mentioned). There are probably similar look and feel fonts, I would search for Art Deco as a keyword on either MyFonts.com.
                  "Lucy, you got some 'splainin' to do!" - Ricky Ricardo

Comment

Originally posted by carter the artist
                    how old are automobiles?
                    maybe a slight exageration on my behalf there carter, sorry!!

my first experience of the brand was producing full size drawign for a sign company who were manufacturing the logo for the Derby based research facility, it was approx 25feet high, all form polished stainless steel!!

Comment

Originally posted by twogun
                      my first experience of the brand was producing full size drawign for a sign company who were manufacturing the logo for the Derby based research facility, it was approx 25feet high, all form polished stainless steel!!
                      Wow!

Purity and simplicity... and ubuntu.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. If an elephant has its foot on the tail of a mouse and you say that you are neutral, the mouse will not appreciate your neutrality.
                      - Bishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

it's ok. just being a smart aleck
                        My Site

Comment

no worries carter, BTW i had real fun knocking out those drawings, i used a 3m x 2m CNC gerber router, wacked a full sheet of acrylic on it, disconnected the motor, stuffed in a pen where the router bit would go, set the depth to .5mm engrave, covered the sheet with paper one after the other in tiles and drew away!!! i must admit i was pretty pleased with the outcome, the accurracy when taping the drawign together was literally spot on!!

Comment

The words Rolls Royce, in my opinion, is Gills Sans MT with'a 50% tracking on "Rolls" and -11% on "Royce", as for the RR, i'm not exactly sure. I know this was posted a long time ago, but i'm doing a Rolls Royce illustration and was wondering the same thing.
                            Last edited by rstetz; 06-23-2008, 07:48 PM.

Comment

rstetz, it's not gill sans, but try looking at art deco fonts.
                              It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X