Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• B
    Reply to Logo for a supplement company
    B
    I'm thinking that tagging a supplement product with the initials BS might not be the best marketing strategy.
    Today, 06:36 AM
  • vaprarts
    Reply to Logo for a supplement company
    vaprarts
    I feel the colors seperate the image losing the dumbell look from being the instant thought.. I think you would have better luck if you made the weights be different sizes. I feel this would show a dumbell...
    Today, 03:58 AM
  • vaprarts
    Reply to Logo motorcycle magazine
    vaprarts
    I am somewhat in your target audience. I ride, i enjoy cafe racers, ive even heard of the company and been on their site once or twice. The thing about cafe racers are they believe "less is more"...
    Today, 03:52 AM
  • hrs.lidra
    Reply to Can you comment and critique my portfolio
    hrs.lidra
    thanks for the suggestion momoshy, i do use black transparrent BG, so it should be readable, but i think im going to make it more visible. Are you a webdesigner either?...
    Today, 03:37 AM
  • skribe
    Reply to hyperlinking multiple images with php
    skribe
    Your welcome! What you are doing is one way I learned php. I wanted to be able to make Wordpress do more, so I started experimenting, and reading through the both the Wordpress functions reference, and...
    Today, 12:38 AM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• U.K design publications...

I've been given the green light by my manager to get a subscription to a design magazine (just 1 unfortunately) - so I just wanted some opinions on what the best UK design magazine is.

I used to get things like design week and creative review... but it's been a while since I picked up a copy of any of these.

Any opinions much appreciated.

I would go for one that has interesting showcases on techniques in varoius media, any vents, student works or awards and one that has information on technological advaces in the industry - like Computer Arts.
    Purity and simplicity... and ubuntu.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. If an elephant has its foot on the tail of a mouse and you say that you are neutral, the mouse will not appreciate your neutrality.
    - Bishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

i was looking at this a while back, but my boss said i could only have it if i could ring them up and get them to give me a free subscription... hmmmm

computer arts seems good

i noticed they're NOT cheap...
      The beginning is always today.

Comment

Right damn expe.

I don't get the luxury of a subscription either. So a friend of mine and I have sorta joined up and buy a copy every month from the local distributor and share... that's another way to go...
        Purity and simplicity... and ubuntu.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. If an elephant has its foot on the tail of a mouse and you say that you are neutral, the mouse will not appreciate your neutrality.
        - Bishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

I would go for Creative review or maybe even icon of the top of my head.
          Only dead fish follow the current...

Comment

Grafik is the bees knees, seriously, although depends on your angle, it's more your cutting edge design and up and coming artists. each issue addresses a particular theme. This months is craft, last month photography

Creative Review leans more towards an advertising angle of late, but still covers the best in graphic design around, and is incredibly well written and contributed too

Design week is good for corporate, and weekly

Computer Arts is not really up there with design magazines, more of a Graphic Arts Magazine with Hardware and Software reviews, tutorials etc. Doesn't cover the latest in design per se.

Comment

you got some pricings on those Bear?

PS: is the Bierkeller still there in brizzol?

Comment

haha, yeah, wow that's a flashback

grafik is 7 (85 per year on subs for the states),

https://secure.widearea.co.uk/cisubs...GRAFWEB06?lp=1

Creative review (97 per year to US) & Design Week i think is 5-6, but for DW it's per week, don't know subs cost

Comment

ok this is a REEEEEEAAALLY stupid question but do they actually give out free subscriptions to the 'industry'??? my boss is positive they do but i think she's talking bollocks.

Comment

haha, i doubt it, that's their market surely???

it's not like they make money from selling to school kids instead

Comment

kerching!

Originally posted by captain spanky
                      ok this is a REEEEEEAAALLY stupid question but do they actually give out free subscriptions to the 'industry'??? my boss is positive they do but i think she's talking bollocks.
                      The studio I work for used to get loads of design mags... but they had to pay every last penny for them - and it's a pretty huge company.

Comment

you really want a journal type publication such as EYE. Expensive but has some very uuseful peer reviewed articles.
                        I work while you are all asleep...

Comment

Personally the only one I would subscribe to myself is Computer arts. I have bought a few of the latest issues, and its a great all round mag. Articles with views, talent showcasing and information and tutorials, not to mention a CD with some great interactive features and stock images. I know you usually save quite a bit when subscribing, and according to their site its 50 pounds for the year, if you buy it from the stands its 90 pounds for all 13 issues.

On top of this they have a spin off in the UK at least called Computer Arts Projects which is a guide on a particular aspect of design (this months upcoming issue is on Music Design, last months was logos) again filled with tutorials and content based on a theme.

And once in a blue moon they issue a Creative Handbook (just the one to date) which is about 15 quid for a really thik magazine full of tips and hints.

Creative Review is great if you have to be right on the "cutting edge" of everything but I personally don't find it that great a read.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
                          Working...
                          X