X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What a bunch of lazy b....ers

What is it with all these basic research questions lately?

Given the unbelievable and staggering amount of great online reference resources these days, and the supposedly 'superior' web skills of the younger generation... how do you explain the complete lack of intiative when it comes to doing any kind of research work?

Why in my day... six miles up both ways to the 500-book town library, deep snow.

But honestly. Am I the only one who's wondering what the heck is going on with these people?

Originally posted by Broacher
    But honestly. Am I the only one who's wondering what the heck is going on with these people?
    no.

Google is your friend!
    "It's never too late to be who you might have been." - George Eliot

Comment

No, you're not.

When I was in college I didn't have a personal computer nevertheless the internet. The olden days (1993) yunno.

You would THINK that today, it would be exponentially easier and with far better results.

The basics -- learning how to learn/research methods, grammar/spelling, etc. seem to be going backward.
      You can fool some of the people all the time, and those are the ones you want to concentrate on. --GWB

Comment

Originally posted by EC
        When I was in college I didn't have a personal computer nevertheless the internet.
        same here.

I think that this is partly why many people have the impression that new graduates don't want to "work" for a living. It's obviously not true of everyone - I know of a few that I would hire in a heartbeat if I could... but we sure seem to see more and more people looking for everything to be handed to them. I don't know where that sense of entitlement comes from.

Ah well.

Comment

I never answer those things, my opinion is I already did my time now do yours. But honestly if I do your research for you what are you learning?
          How about a chain pickerel in your bath tub?

Comment

Perhaps a multitude of these knowledge seekers are foreign folks who aren't as savvvy as the average GDFer. Or perhaps folks nowadays are just lazy sacks of bricks.

How I long for the musty stacks of ye olde library.
            Official lunchboxbrain blog

Comment

It's kind of tempting to just give really off-the-wall answers to some of these questions, just to throw some of these people for a loop, but I promised to only use my powers for good instead of evil.

Comment

Honestly, I would think it'd take more effort to post a message asking such questions on here than to do a Google search. The mind boggles.

Comment

Originally posted by Broacher
                  It's a lack of desire combined with equal parts of no initiative and having
                  information spoon fed to them, I guess. Most of this stuff can easily be
                  researched on the first page displayed by Google. I don't mind answering
                  because I'm bored, and if I'm wrong about an answer I quickly get to learn
                  the right way to do something.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Shannon
                    Honestly, I would think it'd take more effort to post a message asking such questions on here than to do a Google search. The mind boggles.
                    I agree. I remember when some punk kid guised those printing questions several months ago as a quiz to test the GDF'ers knowledge and then turned out it was because of his final he had to do and those were the questions. Lazy asstard. Considering the length of time it took him to post his sarcastic followup comments to everyone, it boggles my mind as to why he didn't just do a friggin' search. Hell, Wikipedia is right every now and then.

GOOGLE is awesome. Hell, Yahoo! ain't half bad either, I suppose. The library is really awesome. There's a reason why that information is there.

Comment

I think people get grumpier as they get older.

Comment

lol That is the truth too TBP.
                        You can fool some of the people all the time, and those are the ones you want to concentrate on. --GWB

Comment

I guess I'm due to start eating babies when I'm 40 then.

Comment

I'm not getting older, nuh uh!

your mother!

Comment

and kicking puppies.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X