X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burnt Out

I am currently working at a mid-sized IT company that does alot of records management and software development. I am the ONLY designer at our company and do all of their in-house design work. I got this job right out of college, and it's my first GD job. My problem is that I am getting really tired of working in a 'corporate' environment and am really getting burned out doing EVERYTHING that requires even the smallest amount of creativity since no one else here can do those things.

Anyways, I am thinking about quiting and trying something new, maybe freelancing...I know I won't make nearly as much money as I do now..am I making a bad mistake? Are there any other in-house designers out there that feel the as me?
    graphic design will save the world right after rock and roll does...

How long have you been at this job?
    WYSIWYG

Comment

two years in October

Comment

How old are you?
        It's a tough world out there, man. Have your ducks in a row before you try to jump ship. I say, congrats on having the corporate job. Good resume builder. From I understand, Jim, DC's a tough market.
        People tell me "Have a Good One!' Hell, I already have a good one, I just need a BIGGER one! - George Carlin

Comment

Yeah, make sure you have enough paying work before quiting a good fulltime, you don't want to have live out of a garbage can.
          How about a chain pickerel in your bath tub?

Comment

I don't know...I just think that I could improve myself and my design work by quitting and taking a lower level gd job under someone else who I could learn from...also I think by not making as much money and living 'out of a garbage can' might spark some more creativity out of me, because I am getting so burned out here..should I really just suck it up and stop complaining? Do I have it better off than most designers and just not realize it?

Thank you guys so much for all your input!

Comment

Maybe ask for a vacation or something ..... try to get away where you can clear your head and really figure out if you want to start that job hunt all over again .... If you are really unhappy then yes ... start looking .... but don't quit and then try to look. It will only add to your frustration.

Daily Trivia Game ...GDF Fantasy Football League

Comment

I've seen my share of designers do the same and end up in GD pergetory - PREPRESS!! Once you enter, you NEVER get out!

Best of luck with the decsion you make. I can see your point about being pushed into a different frame of mind. But also, food and a roof over your head are essentials. Nothing wrong with looking WHILE you work, is there?
                People tell me "Have a Good One!' Hell, I already have a good one, I just need a BIGGER one! - George Carlin

Comment

Don't just bite the bullet there is nothing wrong with wanting to better yourself just make sure you have something else lined up before you quit. Decent paying steady jobs are hard to come by.
                  How about a chain pickerel in your bath tub?

Comment

Originally posted by Logo-Mechanix
                    Don't just bite the bullet there is nothing wrong with wanting to better yourself just make sure you have something else lined up before you quit. Decent paying steady jobs are hard to come by.
                    no kidding. I got downsized 6 months ago and haven't been able to find work since - and I am not restricting my job search to design by any means... I think that I have applied everywhere but McDonald's at this point.
                    "It's never too late to be who you might have been." - George Eliot

Comment

I hear ya. Im working In-house at a manufacturing company. I mostly do marketing because they dont require too much GD. Its my first job in the field, I would love to work at an agency and work ad a designer but I know Id take a huge pay cut. Someday, Ill have to d oit though. Id have something lined up before you quit though. Get some freelance clients or something. Good luck-
                      www.jackiecreative.com

People who live in glass houses sink ships.

Comment

Originally posted by Logo-Mechanix
                        Yeah, make sure you have enough paying work before quiting a good fulltime, you don't want to live out of a garbage can.
                        I dunno, that works well for some people.

Comment

Originally posted by rickself
                          How old are you?
                          It's a tough world out there, man. Have your ducks in a row before you try to jump ship. I say, congrats on having the corporate job. Good resume builder. From I understand, Jim, DC's a tough market.
                          Tough market? Not sure what you mean. There is a ton of work here because of the federal government and many large businesses have their headquarters here to be close to the action if you know what I mean.
                          WYSIWYG

Comment

awww. he looks so happy!! better than eeyore always had it...

www.jackiecreative.com

People who live in glass houses sink ships.

Comment

I just realized Wonton's from DC. Well if you go to monster.com or the Washington Post help wanted section on the internet, there are tons of graphic design positions in the DC area. If you are burnt out at this job, you shouldn't have a problem with 2 years under your belt getting a more creative position. Just be prepared to drive in the worst traffic getting to your new job.
                              WYSIWYG

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
                              Working...
                              X