Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• Casseopia
    Reply to Creative Suite and upgrading
    Casseopia
    Hahahaha - OK I feel better now, thanks.

Yeah - I think I will take the risk on Creative Cloud, based on the overall advice. I'm going to download the free trial and make sure the files work,...
    Today, 07:25 PM
  • kemingMatters
    Reply to Freelance Advice - Family Conflict
    kemingMatters
    Just tell them that you'll get to [project they want for free/next to free] when you can afford the time to do it.

It's not saying no, it just saying my time is valuable and finite, so...
    Today, 07:23 PM
  • seamas
    Reply to Weight loss service design.
    seamas
    Yeah, it looks more design-y fashion-y, but with kind of a late 70s disco chic thing going on.

I think weight loss branding generally wants something more friendly, honest and not...
    Today, 07:12 PM
  • mikhende
    Reply to Easiest way to block out text from image?
    mikhende
    I am thinking about that, I think the best option is to blank out the last name and house number?
    Today, 07:07 PM
  • <b>
    Reply to Please help with company logo
    <b>
    Your first post said that you wanted a simple, flat design, yet you've created something with a 3D look that's quite complicated.

Cosmo gave you some great advice that I completely agree...
    Today, 06:54 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freehand MX vs Illustrator

There is something which sort of is making me uneasy.
    Adobe has taken over Macromedia as I hear and having two competing applications under its belt the company will obviously ditch the newly acquired, ie Freehand.
    I've been using freehand since forever and while I know that converting to Illustrator isn't all that hard I also know that my workflow will be reduced to more than half. You get accustomed to a program and when you get there you start to think and act immediately using shortcuts and the like and your creativity is not hampered by the program interface. When I have to work after another designer who prefers Illustrator I'm more thinking about how this is done here or where is that tool than being creative. I've been using Freehand for more than 16years for Christ's sake!
    I also find Illustartor slower as a renderer and not so precise.
    Any of you have the same problem/concern?

I don't have the same problem with Freehand/Illustrator because I never got into Freehand. But I do feel your pain because I feel the same exact way when I have to use Quark. I've done whole projects in it but don't use it very often so I forget all the shortcuts and how to navigate around the program. Makes me want to throw my computer out the window.

Comment

Im in the same boat as you. Ive been using Freehand from the beginning, and just recently started using Illustrator. They are similar, but still have enough differences to slow down your workflow considerably.

I still use Freehand for the majority of my work. Even though they wont be making future updates, you can still continue to use it without any problems.

You will quickly learn that Freehand is far superior to Illustrator in particular situations. However, at the same time, Illustrator has some great features that blow Freehand out of the water. Hopefully Adobe will integrate the best of both products in future releases.

Comment

I was taught Freehand in the first year of my GD course, Illustrator in year 2. I have to say I never use Freehand these days. I use it only if the file is given to us in Freehand, but I would never think to create something in Freehand. Illustrator is just much more logical to my way of thinking. You might think the other would be true since I learned Freehand first but I always struggled with Freehand.

We have a designer come in often to get stuff printed. He only uses Freehand and he doesn't know how to make pdfs (he says he can't on his version). We always have issues making high res pdfs with spots in Freehand. Illustrator on the other hand is a breeze.
        It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

Typographics, I'm with you, I'm hoping Adobe will incorporate some of the cool features from Freehand with Illustrator. Who knows, they might even rename the product somehow.

I'm much more comfortable with Illustrator than I ever was with Freehand, but I didn't use Freehand enough to know what some of its strengths were, although I've heard some good things.
          "Lucy, you got some 'splainin' to do!" - Ricky Ricardo

Comment

Attn: BUDAFIST
            I make pdf's from Freehand as follows:
            1/ File > Print
            2/ Output options > Save > as file > postscript
            3/ Output options > Freehand MX > Advanced > Unclick Use PPD

You need Adobe Distiller now...
            Open Adobe Distiller and drop your postscript file into its box.
            The Distiller can be set to high res, etc.

Comment

I do something like that. Cant remember exactly because I don't have here, but I do make a postscript and then use Distiller. I'm not sure about the Unclick Use PPD bit. What's that?
              It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

That's in the print dialogue box. You have to uncheck 'Use PPD', from the selected printer. That's because you have to select a poscript printer first. In my case I choose HP Laserjet 5000. Its a laser printer I've got.

Comment

I used Freehand many years ago, and IMO, hands-down it works faster and more intuitively than any other graphics program I have found. I found these videos on YouTube that demo this difference visually--

Freehand vs. Illustrator
                  Freehand vs. Illustrator - Round 2

Comment

Welcome to the forum Graeme. Just so you know, this thread is over four years old! Please read these important threads posted here. They will explain a lot about how the forum runs, from the rules and regulations to frequently discussed topics to the background on some of our lingo and inside jokes.

I hope you enjoy yourself!
                    This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
                    "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                    Working...
                    X