Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• DesignerJordan
    do I need a bleed if...
    DesignerJordan
    Hi guys!! I have a product header card project im working on and both sides are 4in x 4in so im doing them both together on an 8.5 x 11 sheet. I think I heard or read somewhere that you dont need a bleed...
    Today, 01:01 AM
  • creare
    image logo small company computer repair informal group
    creare
    image / logo for a small computer repair company also domicile , image to put near their name , but it is an informal Group. ...
    Yesterday, 10:38 PM
  • edz
    Reply to Hello all!
    edz
    Ahhh.... I was wondering why my replies weren't appearing... I replied twice on my thread lol - oops.... off to read the rules
    Yesterday, 08:44 PM
  • edz
    Reply to Flyer looking for improvements
    edz
    Firsly, thanks taking the time to look at my post, let alone the constructive critique

In reply to your points:
    1) These are actually 3 different brides... maybe I...
    Yesterday, 08:37 PM
  • LGWV
    New to the graphic design scene
    LGWV
    Hey all, i'm a high school student hoping to get involved with graphic design so i started researching it and felt overwhelmed. Is there a general place i should start? and is there any advice you guys...
    Yesterday, 08:11 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why quit when the end is so close?

What's up with people that quit their course after halfway? It is such a waste of money and effort. I have a friend that quits every year towards the end of the year. You don't get a refund. You don't get anything.

He's paid for about 3 degrees and gotten nothing out of it. He's thinking of quitting the course he is on now because he finds student life too hard financially. What can I do to convince him is better off staying in school?
    It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

What's his problem? Is it that he lives beyond his means or that he can't get partime work? I thought most of your campuses have a student work programme?

I found student life pretty difficult too, but quitting was never on my mind. I did everything design related to earn some cash (as the course is very expensive and the school budget creatively restrictive)- I also had a stint as an events photographer on some weekends- I never owned a camera, I rented a friend's camera for this until I got my own.

Perhaps he needs to visit/use the on-campus counselling service, maybe if his "indecision" is well documented by the campus shrink, he can take time-out to think things through...
    Purity and simplicity... and ubuntu.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. If an elephant has its foot on the tail of a mouse and you say that you are neutral, the mouse will not appreciate your neutrality.
    - Bishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

I don't know, maybe life is too easy so he feels like he can stay or go without consequences. This is what happens when you give out student loans to anyone that applies. I guess it hasn't sunken in that he is $30,000 in debt with nothing to show for it because he isn't forced to pay it back.
      It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

Get him to see the shrink. Go with him if you have to...I did that for a friend once with awesome results. She is now being offered a juniour lecturer position at the school of design here.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. If an elephant has its foot on the tail of a mouse and you say that you are neutral, the mouse will not appreciate your neutrality.
        - Bishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I think I will just wait and see if he will actually quit again before I do anything. Just wanted to vent a bit is all. It's just such a waste when this happens...

Comment

I've always wondered what happens to student loans for a 'perpetual' student.

Comment

It grows and grows. That is until the government puts a stop to it!

Comment

One of my best friends is like this. He's been doing various degrees since graduating high school (1998), and doesnt have a single one. He's been working at a supermarket for the past 6 years while pursuing all these degrees. He also still lives at home, which is why he can afford to waste all sorts of money. I hope he doesnt end up 40 years old at a supermarket with no degree and still living at home.

Comment

I think "non-finishers" have a complex of some kind. There has to be something wrong with people who don't follow through on important milestones such as this.

The friend I spoke of is an exception as she sought help...there were things that were disturbing her, but the problem was not solved with just one visit, it took time. Infact even after a few visits, she went and got herself into more trouble than before. It's never too late...

I'm serious Budafist. Give your friend a push in the right direction...you never know.

Since '98?!!!?

- Bishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

Are we talking just a single course? Or dropping out of the entire major? I have dropped out of an individual course halfway through the semester once during my junior year of college. It was Criminology, and I dropped it for 2 reasons 1) I took it to fulfill my Social Science gen ed requirement only to find out that later it didn't qualify (because of all things, one of the digits in the course number made it exempt...like CSCI-331...from gen ed qualification), and there was no documentation or literature to know otherwise, and 2) I was doing poorly anyway and it was pulling my overall GPA down, which was a 3.7 on a 4.0 scale without that class; it was one of those classes where there is only 3 tests and that is what your entire grade is made up of, and they were ridiculously hard. I didn't get a refund for dropping it, but I really didn't mind all that much, I did get a pretty solid GPA overall.

lol, I have a degree and have been living at home for 2 years since.

Comment

When I transfered from illustration to graphic design I dropped a class becasue I had filled up all my graphic design electives with illustration and drawing class's towards the initial illustration bachlors. So that class would have just counted as an "extra" and it was quite frustrating to begin with so I just dropped it. Full fledge illustration just isn't my game and now I know,lol.
                      Last edited by tZ; 09-05-2006, 01:14 PM.

Comment

TZ yours sounds like a necessary decision. the fellow Buda is talking about has paid for and started several degrees and finished none- that's a negative turn over, not to mention an expensive one.

- Bishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

Your friend might have some mental/psychological issues that he hasn't dealt with. An example of a person who has trouble finishing project would adult children of alcoholics. One problem that can manifest itself if you grew up in a home with an alcoholic parent is trouble finishing things. I have a friend who was like this. He scraped the paint off of all of his windows, except one. He just couldn't bring himself to do it. I don't know if its fear of feeling accomplished and having to move on to thing two or what, but it was very real. He couldn't explain it. This is just one example and its not to say that all children of alcoholics will have this problem, its just one that many are susceptible to. Perhaps your friend has this "Fear of accomplishment." Another example would be folks who were constantly berated by their parents. Why finish something if you know you'll be berated in the end? Why put yourself on the line like that? It sounds like something along these lines could be going on. Perhaps your friend should see a counselor and get to the bottom of this before he goes any further into debt.
                          You're no longer a child when a mud puddle is an obstacle rather than an opportunity!

Comment

That could be true actually, there could be a lot of issues that he might have. He never met his father and has a kid with a girl he doesn't know that well.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                            Working...
                            X