Collapse

Featured Images Featured Images Module
Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• PrintDriver
    Reply to How can I place 30 seperate quotes into one poster while still acheiving a nice look?
    PrintDriver
    Remember, posters don't have to be rectangles. Or, even if it is a rectangle, the words don't have to fill a rectangle. Think outside the box.
    Today, 04:09 PM
  • seamas
    Reply to Law Firm Logo
    seamas
    While it isn't the most exciting logo in the world, I don't really think a Lawyer's office needs the excitement of a Rock star logo.

I think the fancier the logo (for a lawyer), the less...
    Today, 03:38 PM
  • seamas
    Reply to Logo Critique, Please
    seamas
    The d/9 thing is just reading as an abstraction--I am not scanning it as two distinct characters joined, but as one single glyph.

On second scan, that D is just reading as a 6--especially...
    Today, 03:33 PM
  • seamas
    Reply to Education consultancy logo
    seamas
    Until I read the bit about a bird, I didn't see a bird.

I saw a book--and I have to agree that the book=education logo idea is tired and well worn.

The only other thing I thought...
    Today, 03:29 PM
  • B
    Reply to Education consultancy logo
    B
    I'm not so sure that the end result has to be such a literal interpretation of the subject. Quite often just hinting at things works even better. Google Cardinal Health's logo. It's similar but different...
    Today, 03:06 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When did you decide to be a graphic designer?

For me it was in 6th form (thats the last year of high school) and we had to do work experience.

The first studio I went to bombed - it was really boring work and I didn't get to do any of it. I had to watch someone else kern and place text in a boring publication.

The second studio I went to was super cool. The office was a huge space and the boss got from one point to another via his scooter The other designers were a young bunch. I got lots of encouragement and went out meeting clients and doing research with a designer. One took me out to lunch and another time 4 of us all went into town to find a CD one of the guys wanted. I was very easily mislead that graphic designers do no work and just sit around eating and drinking and shopping for CDs...
    It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

I had wanted to be a graphic designer from an early age, but i thought that you had to be good at art (didn't really know what one was), so i kinda gave that up, and then started to try and be a software engineer or somthing like that. But then I realised it bored the crap out of me during highschool, so then I decided to go and do graphic design at uni, despite having just spent two years doing programming.
    I work while you are all asleep...

Comment

At least you have programming knowledge.

When I was little I wanted to be an architect. That's until I found out that it was drawing house plans...That dream died.
      It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

I'd always been good at drawing and painting ( I even did some of my friends art homework in Primary school). In Secondary (high school) I was licky they hadn't scrapped art and Design from the national education curriculum, so I took that. I had this awesome eccentric art teacher (26 year old) she never let the restrictions of being government employed draw her back from exploring interesting creative possibilities outside the curriculum. It was then that I told myself that to be that free, I will pursue design as a career.

Soon after Secondary school, I joined a small ad firm as a design trainee. Like you I never got to do much design at first. The creative director enjoyed having a protege in me and took me to meet clients and pitch proposals (I shadowed him). It was under his guidance that I designed my first graphic logo on Illustrator.

The rest is history...
        Purity and simplicity... and ubuntu.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. If an elephant has its foot on the tail of a mouse and you say that you are neutral, the mouse will not appreciate your neutrality.
        - Bishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

The proctology prof thought I had an exceptional gift for working with... well, you-know-what's.

He said it would be wasted by working in medicine.

Comment

Originally posted by Broacher
            ... I had an exceptional gift for working with... well, you-know-what's.
            No. I don't know what's.
            Purity and simplicity... and ubuntu.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. If an elephant has its foot on the tail of a mouse and you say that you are neutral, the mouse will not appreciate your neutrality.
            - Bishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

Originally posted by Broacher
              The proctology prof thought I had an exceptional gift for working with... well, you-know-what's.

He said it would be wasted by working in medicine.
              LMAO!!!!
              amen bro
              The beginning is always today.

Comment

I remember being a little kid and being fascinated with billboards. I told my parents that I wanted to be whatever the job was that got to make billboards on the side of the road. I was lucky to get a lot of art classes in high school, too. We had art 1-art 4. I got to take one each year.
                You're no longer a child when a mud puddle is an obstacle rather than an opportunity!

Comment

2002, after getting my Associates, and realizing that the most it was going to amount to was a job at Enterprise Rent-a-Car. Turns out my Bachelor's has been just as valuable.

Comment

Even though it took me a long time to discover exactly what "Graphic Design" was, I'm fairly certain I had design in my blood since my childhood years (even though I didn't recognize it at the time). I fell in love with music around the age of 10, listening to Peter Gabriel and Genesis. I dreamt of becoming a musician and drew my own "imaginary" album covers (cassette tape inserts back then) to pass time. I must have made up hundreds of those things, just playing around. I've always been interested in art and despite what the majority says, I'm a graphic designer today because of art. I started in college with "Multimedia" and after designing a basic bookcover the first semester, I quickly switched to Graphic Design. I graduated this year and my love of design has been growing a bit more each day.

Good topic, by the way!

Comment

I didn't decide on Graphic Deisgn. It decided on me.
                      Last edited by Ned; 09-05-2006, 08:04 PM.
                      Ned Yeung, A.C.E.
                      mediamainline.com
                      cyclopsphoto.ca

Comment

I was an interior design student. I had to take a graphic design class and realized I enjoy it much more. Plus, I sucked at drafting.

Comment

I had been drawing stuff since I was little, but got sidetracked by music in high school and ended up with a bachelor's degree in Music Industry. I soon realized that that industry was (mostly) about stepping on others to get to the top, and I'm just not kiss-ass enough for that kind of environment. I ended up waitressing after college and started doing freehand art for the lobby chalkboard to advertise whatever special we had going on. This reawakened my interest in art, and since I certainly didn't want to waitress for the rest of my life, I decided to go back to school for an associate's in graphic design.

blog/portfolio

Comment

Originally posted by Virgo Nightingale
                            I had been drawing stuff since I was little, but got sidetracked by music in high school and ended up with a bachelor's degree in Music Industry. I soon realized that that industry was (mostly) about stepping on others to get to the top, and I'm just not kiss-ass enough for that kind of environment.
                            That's the impression I had of graphic design when I was in college.

Comment

Since conception.
                              How about a chain pickerel in your bath tub?

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
                              Working...
                              X