Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• ThePreyMan PHS
    Reply to Custom social icons
    ThePreyMan PHS
    Justo to clarify, I didn't change the colors of the actual logos, per say, as in the 'F' of the facebook logo was never yellow. The logos were all black, which is fine, and the backgrounds to them were...
    Today, 06:36 AM
  • ThePreyMan PHS
    Reply to Custom social icons
    ThePreyMan PHS
    It still leaves me in uncertainty. What I had before, in the creation of this thread, seemed to me to be respectable to their branding. I can understand not having the Facebook logo turned into a gun...
    Today, 06:33 AM
  • ThePreyMan PHS
    Reply to Confidence, Growth, and a Mentor
    ThePreyMan PHS
    Great.
    Thanks for the bits of info, guys. Helps.
    Today, 06:23 AM
  • seamas
    Reply to Are you able to read the text?
    seamas
    ^ This...
    Today, 04:55 AM
  • seamas
    Reply to Opinions on My Logo?
    seamas
    I think the weathering shouldn't be part of the logo at all.

If you want to use it as a treatment fine, but in the design phase of the logo, it just isn't a good idea.

Too many...
    Today, 04:52 AM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• just quickly

hey im new to these forums and that i was just wondering whether some one could help me out in how i can get my self into a graphic design career i have just come out of a 3 half year art and design course and i pretty much know all that the teacher tells me if anyone can give me any advice on what to do that would be most appreciated thanks ?
    Last edited by dope05; 09-05-2006, 01:32 PM. Reason: changing title

Morea will be along any minute to give you links, I'm sure.

Do you have any practical experience at all? Internships, work study, that kind of thing?
    Because in this field, the difference between knowing everything the teacher told you and actually knowing how to get something printed (or online) is vast. Entry level right now is about 2 years on the job experience and a solid portfolio. Catch 22.

Comment

Unfortunately, PrintDriver's right. Its really hard to get your foot in the door. In my experience, it seems every teacher has a different view on the industry becasue they all come from different design backgrounds so make sure you are learning from other sources as well. You have gound a good one, this forum. There are also a lot of recommended books on here, etc. Most of all, get your name out there. Network through friends to get word of mouth work. Freelancing is a great way to get some experience when you have talent but no one will hire you. Make sure they dont walk all over you though.

Go to conferences, build your portfolio and after you get some "real work" under your belt, you'll get more respect out there and it will be easier to get a job (not easy... easier). Its a tough industry to break into- but good luck and welcome
      www.jackiecreative.com

People who live in glass houses sink ships.

Comment

yeah i have a good solid portfolio and that ive been getting it together for the 3 years now to take with me to job interveiws its not the fact i know how to do things and that i am getting a better general idea in how things are done and how people go about doing them, as my friend has his own business he was telling me i should maybe think of doing my own business but as i havent had any previous experience in creating a business it would be silly to jump straight in if you see what i mean?. i have still got to catch up with him about a job as he has seen my work and says that i have the knowledge and skills to further a career in it ? i will have to get hold of him soon and have another chat i think...

Comment

I got a semi design related job and then I kind of fell into freelancing and just learned the ins and outs as I went... mostly from this forum. This is a great resource and we'll all help you out if you want to start freelancing... I wouldnt call that starting your own business, even though it essentially is. People here will help you will legal issues (ie. contracts, copyrights), critique your work in the showcase section and even feel for you when you have ahole clients.

Evereyone on here is more than willing to share techniques, tricks and shortcuts. Just ask! good luck, we've all been (and are) there.
          www.jackiecreative.com

People who live in glass houses sink ships.

Comment

yeah cheers for all the help people i will probably need all the help i can get at the moment lol cheers

Comment

Welcome to the real world, lots of big brothers and sisters here!
              Purity and simplicity... and ubuntu.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. If an elephant has its foot on the tail of a mouse and you say that you are neutral, the mouse will not appreciate your neutrality.
              - Bishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

Good luck dope05.
                Just a side-critique here from a former journalism student: I hope you don't speak like you type. Relearn your punctuation. Please! It looks like how my teenage girls IM!
                People tell me "Have a Good One!' Hell, I already have a good one, I just need a BIGGER one! - George Carlin

Comment

http://www.graphicdesignforum.com/fo...ead.php?t=7892

Check out our frequently discussed topics thread - there are some great tips there.
                  "It's never too late to be who you might have been." - George Eliot

Comment

Rick, don't you like paragraph long run on sentences?

Comment

I think Quark has a paragraph format button for that i can't remember how to get it maybe it was in quark 5 that was beack in the good old days of Quark sorry dope05 i'm poking fun at your expense we try to have a good time in here
                      People tell me "Have a Good One!' Hell, I already have a good one, I just need a BIGGER one! - George Carlin

Comment

Ahh to be young and not so jaded again...

Good luck!

You might try getting into a prepress department as an intern at a print shop. It simply amazes me how much you can learn by working with other designer's files. Especially what NOT to do.

In the meanwhile, freelancing where you can will help to build your portfolio with real world projects beyond your school assignments.
                        Viki Anderson Graphics & Design on Demand
                        Through the Looking Glass

Comment

You might try getting into a prepress department as an intern at a print shop. It simply amazes me how much you can learn by working with other designer's files. Especially what NOT to do.
                          This is a great suggestion. To me its like training camp, once you come out of it you can be pretty confident not only in your file preparation etc, but also to get a bigger understanding and relationship between the GD and printer.

If you can't get a job doing it I would try to visit one and ask to hang out. Freelancing, you would eventually learn things anyways through regular contact with your printer for any job you send. Establish a good relationship, they will be more than willing to help you out as it only make their jobs easier.

Fixing, imposing and troubleshooting other peoples files will help you sharp shoot your own.
                          "You're just jealous because YOUR hat doesn't have a clock in it!"

Comment

Yep prepress is what got me to the legendary status I have as acatalog monkey. If you find a way to work in pictures of Godzilla or Mr. T into all your designs like I do then you well be on your way to becoming a thousandaire.

* and like Danger mouse and Vika said- it will shapren your skills. Heck even working the desk at Kinko's will give you some insight.
                            I don't make mistakes. I thought I did once but I was wrong.

www.deepanchorgraphics.com

Comment

Getting your foot in the door takes persistence and a keen mind. I got mine in the door ages ago by creating ad slicks for a paint store, then moved into the newspaper business. Since then I have touched many different branches of design and the most experience I got was from a prepress dept. It was fast paced and detailed and I learned something new everyday. Great suggestion, Vikia.

Good luck!

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X