Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• extraordenary
    Comment on First Poster Design
    extraordenary
    Thank you a lot for the constructive criticism. The logos were actually given me to begin with and they were made on Illustrator, so I couldn't really do anything about that. I have learned a lot in terms...
    Today, 09:07 AM
  • Salt
    Comment on Happy Turkey Day!!
    Salt
    hehe
    because you ate stuffed turkey.
    Today, 08:05 AM
  • MaNL
    Reply to Sand Queen
    MaNL
    Hey, my fellow countryman! Great illustrations, especially knowing you picked up illustrator just 6 moths ago. Just wanted to know if all of the illustrations are drawn by yourself? If yes thats a big...
    Today, 07:18 AM
  • murofwoh
    Reply to Constructive Criticism?
    murofwoh
    agree lose the slogan ---ha, pretty brash..........................other than that, since you are a youngin', you have a nice start. continue to push the envelope and learn learn learn learn and observe...
    Today, 05:40 AM
  • murofwoh
    so, i have decided to start up a bit of freelancing
    murofwoh
    to help pay the bills. three kids, one a high school junior, plus some big bills coming due have forced my hand. one cool thing is I made this decision after someone asked me to help them out with some...
    Today, 01:23 AM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interviewing and Negotiation

Currently I'm being extremely underpaid to the point of having to have a fulltime and a parttime job. I can't do freelance because I can barely keep myself afload with bills and rent and cannot afford the programs to do freelance.

I've been job hunting and I went on an interview this morning. Professionally speaking when changing jobs, what is the general increase in pay? My father is pushing me to ask for 20% increase and said that asking for that may be even pushing it. I don't want to ruin my chances with this new company but I'm trying to keep myself financially stable...
    To make bills and rent (we're talking basics...I don't have tv) I'll need around a 40% increase... if that gives any of you an idea where I stand...

Any thoughts?

At the interview I was asked what I make now... I was hoping to avoid that...is there any way to redeem myself and ask for something that may make me more stable. I know most companies once they find out what you've been making, normally will realize they don't have to offer that much in order to get your attention.

I need help! Any responses are greatly appreciated...
    Last edited by tessabell8; 09-06-2006, 05:21 PM.

There is no set in stone increase in pay when changing jobs.
    If you've already told them what you were making it's going to be tough to negotiate.

Wait and see what their offer is. If you have nothing to lose, make a counteroffer or find out what the benefits and review rate is. Weigh whether it is worth a lower increase now if the promise of advancement is there.

Comment

Good luck, but when changing jobs, usually you stand to take a pay cut. Did they ask you why you were thinking of leavign your current job? then you could be straight with them and say you cant eat!

Have you asked for a raise at your current job? that was one of the hardest things Ive had to do but my responsibilities increased significantly at my old job and I couldnt make rent or buy groceries so I asked for a $3/hr raise (yup!!... followed by a long, prepared speech why I deserve it) and I got 2.50. Suck it up!! stick up for yourself!! good luck....
      www.jackiecreative.com

People who live in glass houses sink ships.

Comment

I've made many attempts...

As for asking for a raise... I've attempted at least 7 times to reschedule appointments with my boss to meet up with her and seriously, I think she knows what I'm up to and refuses to see me.

I don't want to barge into her office and ask for a raise and give a speech when she's in the middle of something. I think that's very disrespectful even though, she isn't treating me very well. I am considering the idea of writing her a proposal about giving me a raise..that's the only other professional strategy I could possibly think of.

I'm currently working a parttime job and maybe I'll just see if he can make an offer because he was talking about wanting to make me fulltime after a month of working parttime (which has passed). I called him today and he sort of freaked out because he asked if I've found someone and I told him I may have. Maybe he'll make an offer and the two of them could compete if they both make an offer?

One thing I have to keep reminding myself... No one is looking out for me except for myself...

Another question...
        401K... I have one here... however the place that I interviewed w/ doesn't offer it. I believe they're growing and seem to be "working towards it". Why would a company not offer 401K, unless they couldn't afford it?

Comment

tessabell8,

Sounds like you are on thr right track, but i have a few questions and suggestions. First off, where are you located? General vicinity. The reason i ask... I worked in Western NY for some time and know that asking for 40% might doom you.

When a prospective employer asks me how much I make I always add a few grand to it. That way you have some room to play with. Where you can get caught is when they ask you - "What are you looking for as far as compensation?" That can be tricky. I have done it both ways. One interviewer asked me how much I wanted and he laughed when I told him. He said, "Why should I pay you that much?" I looked him square in the eye and said, "I am worth it and you can't afford NOT to have me for that price." I was hired the next day. BUT, that can backfire, too. It all depends on the company and the interviewer. The other way to go is when they ask you what you are asking for is to say something like: I want to make more than my previous job, but I am flexible. If they counter with lower pay you can say you were looking for something higher than that as it wouldn't be worth it to leave a job that pays more. But you need to be happy, too.

I know what you mean about the employer not wanting to see you. I ended up going out and interviewing and finding another job when it happened to me. If you aren't happy, go look. Life is too short to waste time.

Another option is to have a temp agency or headhunter help you out. You'd be surprised at the leverage they have with major corporations.

Good luck!

Comment

I don't know about all colleges but... The college I went to help their Alumni find employment. They kinda work like a head-hunter.
            Let me see you make decisions without your televisions.

N.A.N.K.A. "We Kick Because We Care."

Comment

I honestly would love to stay in the area, but maybe it's the location... I don't know... I live close to Savannah, GA. I didn't go very far away after graduation.

Comment

Did you go to SCAD?

Comment

Yes I did go and graduate from SCAD.

Comment

Well, they have satellite schools. SCAD has a school in Atlanta. They have all kind of resources to search in the entire state of GA for you. I went to The Art Institue of Atlanta. It's sort of the same senario for them. Except that they have sister schools all over the country. You may want to call someone at SCAD and talk with them over your current situation. They should be able to help you a great deal. Good Luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Exodus
                      I don't know about all colleges but... The college I went to help their Alumni find employment. They kinda work like a head-hunter.
                      HA HA HA HA HAHA!!! Career Services! WTF is that, roflmao! Boy, that's a quaint idea.

Sorry, bitterness interfering. Our college basically sent out mass e-mails to alumni and current students of jobs that were posted in the newspaper the previous day. Several months ago they just outright quit. They wanted us to graduate and that's it. Out of sight, out of mind.

Comment

I would never qit a job for a lower paying job except under the rarest of circumstances, you always want to better yourself when moving to another job. I once had a similar situation right out of school working prepress, I was promised a review after 6 months which never happened. The owner kept ducking me until eventually I just grabbed him in hallway and told I needed to see him now. I reminded him about my 6 month review (like the jerk didn't remember) and told him I wanted a raise. He offered me 10 cents more an hour, you heard me right 10 cents. I calmy thanked him and gave my 2 weeks notice, of course I was young and had no real responsibilities but things worked out for me in the long haul. 10 cents, you believe that?
                        How about a chain pickerel in your bath tub?

Comment

Career Services

It could be a possibility... the whole career services, but they do send out mass emails, so I will definitely check with them and see what they have to say.

I'm not planning on leaving this horrendous job for a lower paying job. I quite frankly can't afford that idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Logo-Mechanix
                            I would never qit a job for a lower paying job except under the rarest of circumstances, you always want to better yourself when moving to another job. I once had a similar situation right out of school working prepress, I was promised a review after 6 months which never happened. The owner kept ducking me until eventually I just grabbed him in hallway and told I needed to see him now. I reminded him about my 6 month review (like the jerk didn't remember) and told him I wanted a raise. He offered me 10 cents more an hour, you heard me right 10 cents. I calmy thanked him and gave my 2 weeks notice, of course I was young and had no real responsibilities but things worked out for me in the long haul. 10 cents, you believe that?
                            What a butthole.

Comment

I'm going to face this next month too, my one year aniv. is oct 10th, and I talked to my boss about a review. No one gets reviews here really ever, but my boss is backing me up in this completely. I am to prepare a full proposal as well...I will be asking for about 20% more than I make now, to bring me to fair market levels...'competative wage'

Too long I have worked in underpaid positions and my bills mount, I am done with the struggle. I will submit a proposal, at the same time I'll be preparing my portfolio and a revamped resume. If they decline or delay the process longer than a month I will calmly bow out in one of their busiest seasons...and their hopes of me taking on my bosses job will be flushed down the drain. At two years experience my income potential is already far more than i make now, and I don't burn bridges so I'd also have an easy time going back to one of the previous employers
                              Tapp-d
                              "I has puter, I isam dsgna?!"

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
                              Working...
                              X