Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• damonharris
    Reply to Business Logo Design
    damonharris
    Logo represent you and your business. If it's presentable enough, that means you are credible too in giving services to the clients or customers. That's why it's very important in any business because...
    Today, 06:12 AM
  • damonharris
    Reply to creative business cards
    damonharris
    Choose a design that is creative and effective enough to boost your business and will get the interest of your potential customers. That's what I'm always telling my friends who are in the business. And...
    Today, 06:03 AM
  • Yehoshua
    Cover Layout Feedback
    Yehoshua
    I've been exploring more with minimalism, but still trying to keep things logical. This is a 11x17 cover for a recent undergrad project I've been working on. Does it work? Why or why not? The blue wacked...
    Today, 04:22 AM
  • vaprarts
    Reply to Down selling to clients
    vaprarts
    Now i have no real experience working with clients but in my opinion you did what most designers should do. You are being hired as a designer not an artist. Its our job to create work that makes sense....
    Today, 02:58 AM
  • Buda
    Reply to Zoo Business Card Critique Wanted
    Buda
    I really like the aesthetic.

Will you do more in the series? You could have a different design for different departments.
    Today, 02:44 AM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outsourcing

I and two co-workers in the same department were recently laid-off from our graphic designer and production artist jobs. We somewhat expected the axe because more of our projects were being outsourced to India. Do you have the outsourcing trend at your jobs?

thankfully no. Although our boss did say our company could decide to "get rid of us" and to make sure we put forth the designs that will make our work stand out compared to outsourcing the work.
    Dribbble Page
    Behance Portfolio
    Linkedin Profile

Comment

I hope your ex-boss is getting everything he is paying for.

Comment

Yes the price is right but Woops! They need skilled talent.
        http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/5272672.stm
        WYSIWYG

Comment

At my place of work huge "reforms" are underway. I don't know to what extent they will affect my area of work, but I think there'll still be a need for an in-houser, and especially at a lower level to save on costs.

There has been talk of outsourcing printing, and we already send stuff to be printed in Dubai (cheap and good quality output).
          Purity and simplicity... and ubuntu.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. If an elephant has its foot on the tail of a mouse and you say that you are neutral, the mouse will not appreciate your neutrality.
          - Bishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

Originally posted by olcvisual
            I and two co-workers in the same department were recently laid-off from our graphic designer and production artist jobs. We somewhat expected the axe because more of our projects were being outsourced to India. Do you have the outsourcing trend at your jobs?
            Strange you bring this up. I pull mortgage information for a marketing company. Its just a part-time thing for some extra income. I just found out we're all getting laid off because of outsourcing to Indian. They pay us $.20 a mortgage, they pay them $.08.

My thoughts on it. Its a trend and it will backfire. I think in the next 5 years all the outsourcing jobs will be back in the US.

Comment

Originally posted by naydies
              Strange you bring this up. I pull mortgage information for a marketing company. Its just a part-time thing for some extra income. I just found out we're all getting laid off because of outsourcing to Indian. They pay us $.20 a mortgage, they pay them $.08.

My thoughts on it. Its a trend and it will backfire. I think in the next 5 years all the outsourcing jobs will be back in the US.
              Not true. It'll go to Vietnam first at $.03 then back to the US.
              WYSIWYG

Comment

India has a crazy economy. There are guys that work full-time there that can't afford to have a place to live. Some of the most high profile jobs are in telecommunications.

The government doesn't put any money back into upkeeping the city so there is garbage lining the streets, run down buildings a plenty, unpaved streets, etc.

The companies that are outsourcing to India might be making a quick change in their thinking as India's economy could collapse any day.
                You see, whenever I start feeling sick, I just stop being sick and be awesome instead. True story.

Comment

I personally think outsourcing graphical design work is a bad idea.

The few things that come to my mind are barriers such as: culture, region, and style. If they base there designs off the culture, region, and style, of which they live in, it may not pass or be accepted in the area that it will be directed to.

There are more reasons why I personally think it is a bad idea, I just cant think of them right now. But I need to get these electrical grounding (drafting) drawings done.
                  pas·sion
                  If there is no passion in your life, then have you already lived? Find your passion, whatever it may be. Become it, and let it become you, and you will find great things happen for you, to you, and because of you.
                  -T. Alan Armstrong

Comment

I think in the next 5 years all the outsourcing jobs will be back in the US.
                    I think this will not be the case at all. You will probably see more and more outsourcing to Indian and China as well. At least thats what the economists have been saying as it is already happening. The tides of the world superpower (economically) are changing and I don't think the US will be at the top anymore. But I am no expert only read on the internet. And we all know everything on the internet is true.

I work for a US company with its manufacturing facility in Canada (Toronto). We could outsource to India and save ALOT of cash....but basing it in Canada we are beating our competitors in sales not only due to quality, but DELIVERY DATES. We are beating the competition by 4 weeks on delivery times. Customers like that.
                    It worries me now because the US dollar has dropped and whenever that happens the Canadian dollar rises making Canada less attractive than for example India. Our cheaper dollar and delivery times were our benchmark. Now I wonder if things will change in the future. Right now everything looks solid.
                    That being said, the Art department is only a cog in the machine of our company so we could be affected by that sort of change. But outsourcing purely to a graphics firm? IS this becoming the trend as well?
                    I think Navian hit it on the nose on all his points as to why you shouldn't. But the big Corps are not thinking about their art departments like we do. They see $$$$, not what WE would call common sense. Its just business.
                    "You're just jealous because YOUR hat doesn't have a clock in it!"

Comment

Originally posted by Danger_Mouse
                      I think this will not be the case at all.
                      Okay, maybe 10 years. I still stand by what I say though. Its the tune of the times that outsourcing is happening. The economy is terrible and people need to cut back. Hence, moving to a company in India that will do it for $.08 compared to $.20. It will all change.

As far as the US being the top economy. I don't know how that will turn out.

Comment

Outsource a Steak House menu, to Inda and you'll see what I'm talking about. 80% of the people are Hindu, meaning they dont eat meat (incarnation beliefs), since the cow is very sacrid to them. I'd think they would be offended. I think this works with any other animal aswell.
                        pas·sion
                        If there is no passion in your life, then have you already lived? Find your passion, whatever it may be. Become it, and let it become you, and you will find great things happen for you, to you, and because of you.
                        -T. Alan Armstrong

Comment

That sucks that your boss is outsourcing to India.

No outsourcing at our company for design jobs. That's coz the client likes to meet with us designers and call us every half an hour to let us know a fax is coming etc etc. Sometimes I wish I were in India so they might think twice about calling every half hour! I do have other jobs to do you know!

While we do design work for overseas clients, we don't get our stuff done overseas. Except for 1 thing which was plastic printed cards (like credit cards) - no one does them in New Zealand apparently so we had to get them done in China. But print is another issue entirely...
                          It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

I personally laugh at the idea of my graphics job being outsourced. I don't fear it for a split second. If I get proved wrong at some point in the future, so be it, but right now my company couldnt survive without having someone 5 inches from them, much less someone from another country.

Comment

Originally posted by Navian
                              The few things that come to my mind are barriers such as: culture, region, and style. If they base there designs off the culture, region, and style, of which they live in, it may not pass or be accepted in the area that it will be directed to.
                              I agree. But with the willingness to learn Western and other trends, they will catch up in no time.
                              Purity and simplicity... and ubuntu.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. If an elephant has its foot on the tail of a mouse and you say that you are neutral, the mouse will not appreciate your neutrality.
                              - Bishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X