Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• KitchWitch
    Reply to Infographics...struggle
    KitchWitch
    I think the second set is improved, but still static. I've noticed that a lot of infographics not only use color block backgrounds to separate sections, they often also use something that breaks those...
    Today, 01:49 PM
  • KitchWitch
    Reply to HELLO
    KitchWitch
    Hi Alessia and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done...
    Today, 01:33 PM
  • KitchWitch
    Reply to Looking For Designers / How To's
    KitchWitch
    Hi Amit and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything...
    Today, 01:31 PM
  • alessia1234
    Reply to HELLO
    alessia1234
    Hello Guys I'm new in this forum. Today My first day in this forum website.
    Today, 07:23 AM
  • Kayekaye
    Reply to Realty Company Logo concept
    Kayekaye
    This reminds me of what Chip Kidd, designer at Alfred A. Knopt Publishers said in his TED Talk:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cC0KxNeLp1E

He said his first design class in school the teacher...
    Today, 06:56 AM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• simple business card

hi guys,

i want to get some business cards printed out by tuesday.

i'm thinking of something very simple, slick, and crisp.

i don't have a logo for myself; however, I'm not worried about a personal logo as of yet.

basically i'm thinking of a business card with some solid bars and/or very few geometric shapes and of course text such as : name, telephone, and website.

my questions are:

1. color choice?? I want to keep it very simple, I am liking a white card, with orange and black colors (shapes and text). and maybe a solid orange for the back of the card.
    anyways back to my question, i would like to know if there is any color choices that are better recognized for graphic designers, or if there are any color choices to stay away from. and what do you guys think of the number of colors for a project like this?

2. font choice?? I am looking for a nice slick and crisp sans serif font. I want to stay away from serif and script fonts. are there any suggestions about font choice? and/or what fonts to stay away from (besides comic sans, lol.....)

3. any other suggestions for a quick first version of a graphic designer's business card.

thank you all for your time...
    Last edited by datswhutsup; 09-07-2006, 03:15 PM.

Are you a graphic designer?

Comment

to obesebee, i take it your comment was sarcastic. not offended.

my objective to the questions I was asking, was just opinions of more experienced designers, if they ever see any color choices fail or not associate with graphic designers....
      I am a graphic designer, and I know about color theory and how to use color.
      i guess i should rephrase my question

new question: has anyone seen a ton of graphic designer's business cards with the same color over used? and out of all the graphic design business cards which elements, fonts, and colors seem "played out/over used/boring"?

i dont come across a lot of graphic designer's business cards; therefore I'm trying to ask opinions on what not to design, but what to stay away from.

i guess thats what I am trying to say, I guess I'm making this more complicated than it is and i guess it's really late where i am.

Comment

I thought business cards were supposed to represent who you are?
        Do you really want to use elements that you're not crazy about, only because others haven't?

"I'm not crazy about the colour/font on my business card, but it's original." ?

Comment

Originally posted by datswhutsup
          2. font choice?? I am looking for a nice slick and crisp sans serif font. I want to stay away from sans serif and script fonts. are there any suggestions about font choice? and/or what fonts to stay away from (besides comic sans, lol.....)
          I'm confused.
          Light a man a fire and he will be warm for a short while. Light a man afire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

Mine's deoxygenated-blood-red (like Ogilvy's red) spotcolour on one side and white on the other. Text ad images are white on the red, and red and black on the white.

my colours are blues and pinks, I sure as hell didn't want to go cliche blue, and would never use pink on my identity. I wanted a regal colour that did not scream.

Go with your feeling in line with what you feel represents you and what you do...then post it here for a crit.

Be glad to help you figure it out.
            Last edited by Samakimoto Graphics; 09-07-2006, 09:44 AM.
            Purity and simplicity... and ubuntu.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. If an elephant has its foot on the tail of a mouse and you say that you are neutral, the mouse will not appreciate your neutrality.
            - Bishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

Sarcasm or offence wasn't my intention. Until you rephrased it I just didn't understand why a designer wouldn't already know what you were asking.
              Like Samakimoto says, you know you, just go with what feels right and folks here'll happily critque it.

Comment

i think i've gone cliché blue...
                The beginning is always today.

Comment

no offence Spanky. I meant well . Blue could still work depending on the supporting design.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. If an elephant has its foot on the tail of a mouse and you say that you are neutral, the mouse will not appreciate your neutrality.
                  - Bishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

im sorry it was really late, i was half awake running on very low energy, thought.
                    i meant serif

i edited my post.

thank you for catching that.

Originally posted by Riya
                    I'm confused.

Comment

and so far, what i'm understanding is, that blue is cliche, and to try to stay away from it. i was thinking of dark browns and orange, but afraid of too much of an autumn season feel. ok thanks for all the suggestions.

Comment

There's those Best of Business Card books at the bookstore...don't even buy them, just go in, open them up, and see what they are doing. They have tons of excellent ideas, some are kind of out-there, and some are actually really slick.

Comment

I would come up with a few different ideas and color schemes that appeal to you and pick one. If you are satisified with it and it looks good thats what counts.
                          How about a chain pickerel in your bath tub?

Comment

First it was the 'new blue' then it went to 'matrix green' that turned to orange and now pink is back. Seriously, that's the trends I can remember as far a color.

But un-seriously, pink is the new orange that was the new black.
                            "Every facet, every department of your mind is to be programmed by you, and unless you assume your rightful responsibility, and begin to program your own mind, the world will program it for you."

Comment

No, no, no...

Originally posted by Samakimoto Graphics
                              Blue could still work depending on the supporting design.
                              On fonts: I would go with san serif fonts - they are easier to read. Go for already condensed fonts rather than condensing manualy.

- Bishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X