X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Portfolio Thread

I just have some questions. (This is going to be questions about YOUR portfolio, not about you being the interviewee.)

Forewarned, this is an assignment (see below for reason).

I am supposed to ask people in industry the following questions about portfolios:

When a position opens at a design firm, what is it that an Art Directors looks or are looking for in a portfolio?

Was it the layouts of each piece?

Was it the strength/design?

Was it the style of each piece?

Was it a combination?

What was it a combination of?

Any reason would be helpful. (I think this would also be a good resource thread, of general information of what to really expect.)

If you would, would you please ask (if you work for one) your art director/interviewer/manager/marketing director, by what, did they make there decision, just off your portfolio alone, why they picked you, instead of others?

For print folks: Did you have to show a portfolio? If so, why did they hire you based off your portfolio (not the interview)? If you didnít have one, or have to show one, please post that too.

If possible, I'm just looking for the reasons (or as simple as possible) based off your portfolio alone, not the interview, nor the interviewee.

I figured I'd ask here since there is a wealth of experience, and a multitude of you great people, in the design industry.

Just a heads up, my deadline for this research is next Thursday (17/SEP/06).

I'll be done with my second associates (in GD), around January/February-ish. Two more terms left after the 21st of this month (terms are 10 weeks), but the rest of my classes are just generals.

Thanks (in advanced). I just wanted you to know, that again this is for my Portfolio class, its a research project on people (nothing I can find in a book).
    pas·sion
    If there is no passion in your life, then have you already lived? Find your passion, whatever it may be. Become it, and let it become you, and you will find great things happen for you, to you, and because of you.
    -T. Alan Armstrong

bump!
    pas·sion
    If there is no passion in your life, then have you already lived? Find your passion, whatever it may be. Become it, and let it become you, and you will find great things happen for you, to you, and because of you.
    -T. Alan Armstrong

Comment

Originally posted by Navian
      If you would, would you please ask (if you work for one) your art director/interviewer/manager/marketing director, by what, did they make there decision, just off your portfolio alone, why they picked you, instead of others?

For print folks: Did you have to show a portfolio? If so, why did they hire you based off your portfolio (not the interview)? If you didnít have one, or have to show one, please post that too.
      I'm in pre-press, but we also do a lot of graphic design for customers that want a one stop shop.

I had a web portfolio which I included the link to in my application but for the interview they told me not to bring anything (I also had a hardcopy print portfolio that I had spent plenty of money on). Second interview they still didn't want to see anything. I was given a real job and had to sit there and do it. I think they mostly hired me off that. I they wanted someone that got along with everyone in the company. Possibly they had had huffy designers in the past that had great portfolios but no people skills.

This is probably a very different answer than what you are going to get from others!
      It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Ė Winnie the Pooh

Comment

No no no, thats a good.. I'll be documenting the responses. Its good info to know aswell.
        Last edited by Navian; 09-11-2006, 05:19 AM.
        pas·sion
        -T. Alan Armstrong

Comment

right now, our place is thinking about getting another designer. I guess I would be the art director/design manager in charge of hiring, since Im pretty much the whole creative department.

What Im looking for is someone that has developable talent. I dont mind getting someone that has very little experience, I want someone who has a passionate desire to learn and improve their design like I do. I spend every day trying to learn something new and immersing myself in the subject. I can get frustrated and stumped with a design, but I never get bored of it, and thats what I want from who we hire. I also want someone that is easy to work with, and works good with clients, thats very important
          "To be is to do" --Socrates.
          "To do is to be" --Jean-Paul Sartre.
          "Do be do be do" --Frank Sinatra

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
          Working...
          X