Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Usage - And or "&"

Hello,

I don't know if there are any hard and fast typography rules on the usage of "and" or "&" in body copy or in headlines/taglines. Aside from simply being consistant, what guidelines do you follow when using either the word "and", or the ampersand glyph?

Lemme know!

Rob.

In body copy I'd spell it out & in Headlines or taglines it's your choice.

< yes I did that on purpose >

I guess it depends on what style your going for, document space, and visual space.
    "Every facet, every department of your mind is to be programmed by you, and unless you assume your rightful responsibility, and begin to program your own mind, the world will program it for you."

Comment

What patkennedy said...headlines when I need the space, but not in body copy. I have a client that insists on using the ampersand in body copy and it just looks wrong...IMO.

Comment

I think the only time you really shouldn't use the ampersand would be in a straight up journalistic context (newspaper headline) or in any paragraph of copy. Pretty much any other context would be a matter of personal preference, aesthetics or space constrictions. But definitely be consistent!

Comment

Sounds good. Pretty much what I expected people to say. Thank you for the comments.

R.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
          Working...
          X