Collapse

Featured Images Featured Images Module
Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• MichaelWied
    Reply to Some interesting Graphic Design debate discussions?
    MichaelWied
    Cool idea! I'm actually working on a blog myself. Just some advice that was given to me by someone who studies journalism is to have a years worth of content ready. So if it's a weekly blog, have no less...
    Today, 04:41 AM
  • garricks
    Reply to How to choose a scanner?
    garricks
    I bought a Canoscan based on PrintDriver's recommendation, and I'd buy another one in a heartbeat. It's a workhorse.
    Yesterday, 11:45 PM
  • PrintDriver
    Reply to How to choose a scanner?
    PrintDriver
    There aren't that many scanners to choose from any more. I use a Canoscan 8800 and I'd buy another Canoscan in a minute. Good machine.
    Yesterday, 11:39 PM
  • Buda
    Reply to Client hasn't paid and is using my website!!
    Buda
    I would never hand over the work to an untrustworthy client without getting payment. You let this happen.

If you don't have a contract and deposit, take this as an expensive lesson to make...
    Yesterday, 09:35 PM
  • Buda
    Reply to Happy Last Friday of August!!!
    Buda
    It is a shame, but maybe we can do Quote of the Month?

There are some gems every now and then that are nice to relive in case we miss them the first time around. Thanks to you and Kool for...
    Yesterday, 09:31 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to make flourishes?

I'm working on a project in which I'd like to use flourishes. If I'm using the right term, I mean those beautiful swirly lines that curl around one another to border text.

Can someone recommend a book that talks about developing techniques for illustrating flourishes? I haven't been able to find anything online.
    thank you

I have also heard them called ornaments and I am sure there are books out there somewhere. I just googled flourishes and got a few things, as for creating them yourself I would draw them by hand and just let your imagination run wild, then whip out the pen tool if you need them in vector.
    How about a chain pickerel in your bath tub?

Comment

Sounds like a good place to start. Ornaments sounds like a more appropriate word.

I'm going to go to the library and check this out.
      thanks.

Comment

No problem, I love those little things also.
        How about a chain pickerel in your bath tub?

Comment

I too like them and wonder if everyone draws them or uses fonts or where people are piocking these up.
          Dribbble Page
          Behance Portfolio
          Linkedin Profile

Comment

Or instead of pen tool you could draw them all on paper and then "live trace" them in illustrator.
            It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

Dover Publishing produces books with cds that have these things and all types of things, however they are all bitmapped, don't let the fact that it states eps fool you, like it did me. But as templates, with no royalties, it really isn't too bad. They seem to be a bit overpriced, but I like 'em. I think you can find some on stock sites, and of course... check into some fonts, some of the wingy dingy types have them.
              My Site

Comment

Your local library may have "Atkinson Sign Painting" (1909) and "Strong's Book of Designs" (1910) which are loaded with the kind of stuff that you're after. These and other similar titles were reprinted in the 80's by Signs of the Times, though all seem to be OOP now. Brilliant stuff, regardless.

Do an image search for Art Nouveau and Alphonse Mucha as well.

-van

Comment

I was looking for flourishes a while ago, and googled another design board where someone posted a link to some free flourishes
                  "To be is to do" --Socrates.
                  "To do is to be" --Jean-Paul Sartre.
                  "Do be do be do" --Frank Sinatra

Comment

try looking at art noveau ornaments

Comment

thanks for the link. i will see how well they are.

again, thanks.
                      Dribbble Page
                      Behance Portfolio
                      Linkedin Profile

Comment

http://mograph.net/board/index.php?s...24&hl=flourish

i was actually looking at this earlier...

although drawing them yourself then scanning adn tracing in illy is the best way...
                        R. S. Young

Comment

no problem, I just remembered that www.dafont.com has some good flourish fonts.

wm designs

floralia

marcelle - kinda cool

there is a wealth of inspiration from the shapes fonts, so much good stuff. have yourself a ball

Comment

I have used Marcelle before it is a nice sport look. I had a booklet to make for a non-profit baseball organization and it worked very well.
                            Dribbble Page
                            Behance Portfolio
                            Linkedin Profile

Comment

yeah, it will probably be going in this art/poetry magazine im working on

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X