Collapse

Featured Images Featured Images Module
Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• KitchWitch
    Reply to Are you interested in selling your company?
    KitchWitch
    Hi 858 and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything...
    Today, 04:28 AM
  • thebombman53
    Reply to Portfolio Site Design
    thebombman53
    I know of those sites - I actually have profiles on them. The point of building it myself is to give me practice with web design. Again, why I'm here asking for criticism. If you have any feedback, it...
    Today, 01:02 AM
  • Buster_
    Reply to Portfolio Site Design
    Buster_
    I can appreciate that you're trying to build your site from scratch, but why not use a portfolio hosting site that offers free templates until you're more comfortable with web design? There are plenty...
    Today, 12:05 AM
  • salsa
    Reply to Getting started...
    salsa
    If you're not sure you're making enough, figure out you income per hour and take into account all your expenses and overhead and blah blah blah. It takes some time to put together the spreadheets, or...
    Today, 12:02 AM
  • salsa
    Comment on Crit on my first business card? No client, experimental.
    salsa
    em: —
    en: –
    hypehn: -
    Yesterday, 11:53 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• just can't wait

I've been working on the same laptop for 4 years now and needless to say it just doesn't cut it anymore. I've been bugging my boss for a new computer for the last couple of months and he keeps beating around the bush.

So on Monday I gave in to all desire and bought a new laptop. Even though I can't really afford it, Iím going to make it work. 2 gigs of ram, duo core, 17in screen. Yum yum.

Now I have to wait two weeks until it gets here, I find myself checking the order status a couple times a day to see if anything has changed (which it hasn't!) These next two weeks are going to be unbearable. Like a kid waiting for Christmas morning.
    Last edited by Loopy; 09-08-2006, 10:09 PM.

I just went through the same thing. Only it was for my home desktop computer (first one). I ordered it and it was taking so long to come I was losing my mind....then one morning saw a awesome deal in the paper ...cancelled the first order and I had my system by 6 pm that day.
    "You're just jealous because YOUR hat doesn't have a clock in it!"

Comment

You bought it... using it at work? Sounds like a tax deduction to me.

I can't wait to get a new computer too, my desktop is about 4 years old aswell.
      In this post there are 47 people, none of them can be seen.

Comment

Old computers? Right here...

Yeah, I still work on my G4 (Quicksilver) from home and I have to say it runs pretty damn good for such an older model...

If things work out well, I might get a 15" MacBook Pro (17" is tempting but too big as well...) by the end of the year.

I guess I will be passing down the G4 to my daughter, since she still has an iMac (Lime) and the poor thing cannot keep up with today's apps.

I am very curious about the Intel performance with Tiger...

Comment

Originally posted by mac.FINN

I can't wait to get a new computer too, my desktop is about 4 years old aswell.
          I'm actually not sure how to go about doing tax deductions, do you know if you have to register your name or have a gst number? Because that would be swell.

heh, Danger mouse I could see me doing the same thing. Patience is a virtue I don't have.

Comment

Congratulations Loopy!! Sounds pretty sweet

Daily Trivia Game ...GDF Fantasy Football League

Comment

waiting is the hardest part!
              "It's never too late to be who you might have been." - George Eliot

Comment

I just ordered a new laptop too with pretty much all the same things you have, can't remember how big the monitor is but I know it isn't small.
                burp

Comment

hmmmm my IMAC went away for repair under extended warranty. I needed a comp to work so bought a G4 powerboook from http://www.cancomuk.com/ its an apple refurb site and comes highly recommended. It came with their 12month warranty and I bought another 2 years warranty. Powerbook was delivered within 5 days when I bought it was in test. It is perfect.

Now the rub.
                  My IMAC snow took six weeks to be sorted, they replaced the cd drive, and I bought more memory, I decided to keep it as a back up machine. They repaired the other probs it had and took off OSX for me to re-install cos it had corrupted just left me with the original OS9 which was fine by me 'cos most of my software runs on it.
                  The carriers took three attempts to deliver it back to me and when I eventually opened it up the casing was broken didn't fit top and bottom properly and it was scratched and dirty the screen had a big black looking circle in the middle of it and it was as dead as a doorpost when I plugged it in..... I'd looked after it like a baby for 4 years it was cosmetically perfect it was so bad I checked the serial numbver tomake sure it was actually mine returned. The upshot of all this is they have now written it off and sent me vouchers to purchase a new comp of the same spec and as the model I had is now obselete the nearest is the IMAC with the duo core processor or whatever 17" screen one aiport and 10 blue tigers.
                  Which is great but I would never have spent best part of £1500 for the laptop if I'd known this was going to happen.
                  I shall miss the old one and 0S9. The classic environment just isn't the same :-(
                  There's no pleasing some folk is there lol

Comment

Originally posted by Loopy
                    I'm actually not sure how to go about doing tax deductions
                    Honestly I'm not positive myself either. Do you do your own taxes or have someone do them for you? I'm almost positive that this would qualify as a deductable, so keep your receipt and when you do your taxes, ask, or call Revenue Canada.

Comment

Well my notebook cover I ordered with my laptop came today, what a tease. I don't really get why they had to send it separately, it came in a pretty big box for its size... oh well I'm not paying the shipping.

capezio - Sorry to hear about your bad experiences! Did you send it back to Apple for repairs or just to a reseller?

Juggnoxalo - what kind of computer did you just order? I ordered a dell. My current laptop is a dell and I just love their total protection warranty and how speedy they are at sending out techs/parts. The tech support was pretty bad when I first got it, but it seems to have gotten a lot better.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac.FINN

Honestly I'm not positive myself either. Do you do your own taxes or have someone do them for you? I'm almost positive that this would qualify as a deductable, so keep your receipt and when you do your taxes, ask, or call Revenue Canada.

I don't do my own taxes... my daddy does. I will look into it, a friend told me that I have to register my name before I can write anything off, but I'm not really sure how it works. The school I went to really lacked on the business end of design.
                      Last edited by Loopy; 09-09-2006, 08:25 PM. Reason: I can't spell

Comment

No loopy its not from the apple store. I was a student when I bought it nearing the end of my first year at college and had little or no idea about computers and apple's in particular so I just went to a pc store bought it and the coverplan.

Originally Posted by mac.FINN

Here in the UK if you use a computer for your business it becomes a capital asset and therefore an allowance is made against it which decreases over five years. Strictly speaking a computer for a designer is a tool of the trade and therefore not tax deductable, however, if you use your comp for your business accounts then it is a business tool and it becomes tax deductable. I am just finishing my first year of trading after graduation so my new computer will become a capital assest.

Comment

Ya my dad still does my taxes too Loopy Not sure if it's the same here in Canada Capezio, but it's something to look into for sure.

Comment

I'm waiting some, too... Waiting till I have enough money to buy a Sigma 17-70mm macro lens for my 350d. If I'm veeeery lucky, I can get it within 2 weeks.
                            http://pederklev.deviantart.com/gallery

Comment

Originally posted by peder
                              I'm waiting some, too... Waiting till I have enough money to buy a Sigma 17-70mm macro lens for my 350d. If I'm veeeery lucky, I can get it within 2 weeks.
                              *drool*

I want a macro lens soooo bad. Photography has taken the back burner lately.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
                              Working...
                              X