Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• EmberMike
    Reply to The End of Adobe Creative Suite is upon us...Creative Cloud shift
    EmberMike
    Resurrecting an oldie here...

I've been a CS6 holdout but now I'm at a point where I need to buy After Effects and I can't find a reasonable price on it anywhere. My upgrade to CC may be...
    Today, 03:58 AM
  • B
    Comment on Hey guys, I'm wondering which domain name sounds better.
    B
    You might try always spelling it out with mixed case, as in MichelleBethDean.com. Domain names aren't case sensitive, so it'll work with no problem. It'll also eliminate any confusion over what it says...
    Today, 02:00 AM
  • haileyfield
    Need color choice help on logo design...
    haileyfield
    I created this logo for a company called Circa 3 and I'm having a hard time deciding which one works best and then applying color. I attached a greyscale photo of what I believe the hierarchy to be (dark...
    Today, 01:22 AM
  • Lucifer
    Comment on Canvas
    Lucifer
    Lol @ Seamas.
    Today, 12:56 AM
  • TimDojo
    Reply to Personal Logo Critique
    TimDojo
    First I think the concept is solid, it is clean and doesn't feel trendy. I won't talk about the fonts b/c I think that point has been made enough...witty post by @Buda about the tension, lol! My only...
    Yesterday, 11:48 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About how to create gradient..! help! thanks!

Hi all,
    I am a newbie here,
    I want to create a gradient for a polygon with some arcs. So how to fill gradient among the line of polygon with Adobe Illustrator or PhotoShop? Are these good tools to do this skill?

An example like this flower: http://www1.ttvnol.com/uploaded2/koolj/gradient.jpg

Pls help me this with your skill, i apreciate all your comment!
    Thanks!

KJ.
    Chat ID:
    Yahoo ID: fso_aoe2006_yls
    Yahoo ID: koolj_indahouse
    SkypeID: koolj_3000
    MSN ID: koolj_1979@hotmail.com

Welcome Koolj.

Under your Help Menu in Illustrator, you will find tutorials.
    I recommend using some of the basic tutorials to get accustomed to using the different tools in Illustrator or Photoshop.

I would use Illustrator for the gradients you were showing.
    I would use the gradient tool under the Windows Menu.

Enjoy the learning curve. Explore the tools, don't be in a hurry, there is alot to learn.
    Viki Anderson Graphics & Design on Demand
    Through the Looking Glass

Comment

Thank Vikia!

Originally posted by Vikia
      Welcome Koolj.

Under your Help Menu in Illustrator, you will find tutorials.
      I recommend using some of the basic tutorials to get accustomed to using the different tools in Illustrator or Photoshop.

I would use Illustrator for the gradients you were showing.
      I would use the gradient tool under the Windows Menu.

Enjoy the learning curve. Explore the tools, don't be in a hurry, there is alot to learn.
      Thank 4 your idea!
      I tried so many times, you can see this pic: http://www5.ttvnol.com/uploaded2/koolj/gradient_2.jpg
      This Illustrator can do gradient only two types "Radial" or "linenear". And it can not be curved in to line of arcs.

Comment

Try the gradient Mesh tool. It takes a bit of getting use to. Its a little advanced and you have to be good with controling the pen tool/using handlebars etc. You can colorize and control the gradient by each node.

Play with it and try to keep the points simple.

1. Draw the shape (one pedal of the flower for example) and give it a solid fill.
        Its also more effective to keep the shape you drew with minimal points. The more points, the more problems. Since the shape you want is pretty basic you can do it this metheod.
        2. Select the gradient mesh tool (tool bar) and click on your drawn shape. Each time you click, you are adding a node/point to the shape, which is both moveable and editable for colors. I highly recommending using minimal nodes and using handle bars to adjust shape. Play with it until you have one pedal done.
        3. Copy, paste and arrange as you see fit.

Hope that helps, the Gradient Mesh tool takes some practice and getting use to. Think of it like you would a 3D object.
        "You're just jealous because YOUR hat doesn't have a clock in it!"

Comment

Originally posted by Danger_Mouse
          Try the gradient Mesh tool. It takes a bit of getting use to. Its a little advanced and you have to be good with controling the pen tool/using handlebars etc. You can colorize and control the gradient by each node.

Play with it and try to keep the points simple.

1. Draw the shape (one pedal of the flower for example) and give it a solid fill.
          Its also more effective to keep the shape you drew with minimal points. The more points, the more problems. Since the shape you want is pretty basic you can do it this metheod.
          2. Select the gradient mesh tool (tool bar) and click on your drawn shape. Each time you click, you are adding a node/point to the shape, which is both moveable and editable for colors. I highly recommending using minimal nodes and using handle bars to adjust shape. Play with it until you have one pedal done.
          3. Copy, paste and arrange as you see fit.

Hope that helps, the Gradient Mesh tool takes some practice and getting use to. Think of it like you would a 3D object.
          Thanks MOUSE!
          I fisnished step 1, then in step 2, i could not find the gradient mesh tool onthe tool bar, theres only Gradial tool, and mesh tool, theres no any gradient mesh tool there. See img: http://www5.ttvnol.com/uploaded2/koolj/gradient_4.jpg

Is that be hiddened?

Thank you so much!
          KJ

Comment

Originally posted by koolj
            That is not a gradient, that is a color blend. Each petal has a color blend from white to orange, and each petal has a lowered opacity. Then they are placed overlapping each other.
            Ned Yeung, A.C.E.
            mediamainline.com
            cyclopsphoto.ca

Comment

Yeah sorry I meant the MESH tool, I always call it the gradient mesh tool.Doh

Neds suggestion is also good one for this......although I find in the past when I am dealing with color blends the file size tends to go up much quicker. Especially when dealing with alot of them. Still, depending on the project, probably is the better way to go.

Comment

Thank Mouse and Ned!

But my conern is: it seems like my illustrator, the gradient can not be applied when a mesh for the shape is used. When the shape is meshed, i could not choose any gradient. in to the shape.

I use Ill CS2 Ver 12.0.1 as you can see in pic: http://www5.ttvnol.com/uploaded2/koolj/gradient_4.jpg

I think i set in wrong mode of editing mesh with gradient.

Also in the help it is noted that:

Features that donít work on Live Paint groups:
                Transparency
                Brushes
                Effects
                Gradient meshes
                Graphs

Do i go the rigth way?
                Thank 4 all your help!

Comment

well you dont apply a gradient as such you are creating it through the mesh. Set a solid fill (color 1 of your gradient), right after you add a point with the mesh change that node to another color NOT a gradient. By making that single node another color you "create" a gradient. You will see what I mean. You can add as many nodes as you want, changing each to a different color. But as I said, its best to keep it as minimal as possible. Ive attached a quick screenshot for you. From what I think you want to achieve you should be able to get in 1 -4 mesh points. Sorry I only did I circle I was going for a quick diagram.

Was Ned's suggestion not applicable? It's a good metheod if used on smaller scale and may suite your need. Both could achieve the same results.

As for Live Paint, I have never used that feature but now you have me curious.....reading files now.
                  Last edited by Danger_Mouse; 10-15-2008, 07:32 PM.

Comment

I'm not sure what Ned means by colour blend. Unless he's thinking about what I would call a shape blend. In Corel, it would be a contour group. Basically, a copy of the outside shape is generated as an offset inwards and set to the lightest colour, then a blend group is constructed between the two. Repeated for each unique petal shape, and transparency set to each shape for the final effect. This way you can avoid the mesh tool--which, while a very useful tool, does severely limit the final file's overall flexibility. Meshes might appear to be vector, but in the reality of postscript outputting, they're anything but.

Comment

Yes, Broacher, that is exactly what I mean by a color blend.
                      Ned Yeung, A.C.E.
                      mediamainline.com
                      cyclopsphoto.ca

Comment

Yeah I call that the Blend tool too.

Meshes might appear to be vector, but in the reality of postscript outputting, they're anything but.
                        So from a print postscript standpoint, gradient meshes are not co-operative? Why so?
                        I have never had a problem, but would like to know what if any issues there are. Can you elaborate a bit on that for me Broach?

Why oh why doesn't adobe create software that never has any issues with the printer. Wouldn't that be great? Where postscript errrors where a thing of the past, files are always compatible, and maybe even come with a free ice cream every friday. sigh....to dream.
                        Last edited by Danger_Mouse; 09-10-2006, 01:23 PM.

Comment

wow...done!

Thanks Mouse!
                          wow...it's done!

Thank all of you so much!

But another conern is how can i trasparent the color that the other color do gradient to.
                          Like above, can i change the color RED from tranparent 100 to 1% by following this skill so the transparent line can b curved as that gradient effect?

I try some, but the problem is when i chose the second color to do gradient to i could not identify the trasparent setting of that color?

Pls help me this skill! thanks!
                          KJ.
                          Last edited by koolj; 09-10-2006, 02:33 PM.

Comment

I can't remember how to actually make the points transparent. I seem to remember a thread in the resource section of GDF discussing this. But I may be thinking of something else. I am pretty sure its NOT possible to change individual nodes tranparency themselves, but there is a trick to get same results other than what I have shown you.
                            Are you finding this metheod effective at all for what you are doing? I would hate to bark you up the wrong tree....what kind of background are you working with? I say again, depending on what exactly you are working on...Ned/broachers metheod might be your better route. Post what you are working on so we can take a look.
                            Keep in mindTransparencies will cause major undesired printing issues unless you flatten the entire image.

The metheod I have shown you in diagram as I said will work fine for simple backgrounds, but it gets much more advanced if on muticolored images (like a photograph). You just have to play around with things, take use of any tutorials you can find.
                            Last edited by Danger_Mouse; 10-15-2008, 07:32 PM.

Comment

I hope Adobe builds transparency functionality for gradients into Illustrator, like you can do in Fireworks. It's very very handy.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
                              Working...
                              X