Collapse

Featured Images Featured Images Module
Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• Roth
    Reply to What do you think of my video game cover art?
    Roth
    This is inferior to the original in every way. PD made some very good points already to do with hierarchy, and energy. There are basically three elements, the figure, the name, and the background, so...
    Today, 12:14 AM
  • Roth
    Reply to Logo for a supplement company
    Roth
    This is a bit of a stretch. It's like you saw the H in the weights, ran with it, hit a creative wall and tried really hard to make the rest fit. The logo and name are out of proportion to one another...
    Yesterday, 11:50 PM
  • extraordenary
    extraordenary
    Professional designers either create the images themselves, or get it from someone else with respects to the copyrights. Designers often make sure that the image they have is royalty-free so they don't...
    Yesterday, 11:14 PM
  • graphic91
    graphic91
    Umm...really? I know about the design rules, but where to look first? There's not that much information or "look-at-mes" on it and it's just the cover of a video game. Most people who want to...
    Yesterday, 10:34 PM
  • Lucifer
    Reply to Your thoughts on this logo?
    Lucifer
    I like it. I like the way you've done the spacing.
    Yesterday, 10:32 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you back-up?

Man I just saw NemPerez's site, and read about how his hard drive full of 6 years of design work was stolen...

All I can say is backup a million times. I backup my laptop every night to an external drive, which backs up to another external drive. And once every 2 months I backup to Amazon.com's cheap "Simple Server Service", via Jungle Disk. I have about 20 gigs of design and stuff on the server, and it costed about $6 for the months that I reupload all my stuff and only $3 or so the months that it just sits there. I do it from a PC but I've *heard* you can use it as your "iDisk" and syncronize to it from a Mac.

It's a deal if you ask me. I don't know what I'd do if my place went up in flames because of faulty electricity or a Sony laptop battery and all my design work turned to dust...

Do any of you backup? How do you do it?

I don't and I have paid for it...
    It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

I do, but not as much as I should.
      Typically about once a week I back everything up to my computer's hard drive, everything is saved on an external hard drive. About once a month I burn all the new files to DVD.
      it's deadline and I'm GROUCHY.

Comment

Nowhere near as often as needed...

Time and money constraints prevent that.
        Ned Yeung, A.C.E.
        mediamainline.com
        cyclopsphoto.ca

Comment

I just did last night.

Comment

Well, I have to say I'm really bad about doing this on my home computer, although I don't have a lot of work on the home computer right now, but still....no excuse.

At work, I'm completely the opposite. We use two different external hard drives, which I rotate every two weeks, and back up our server to those drives. Every other week, I swap one drive for another one, and do a full backup to that one as well. So we always have at least two weeks on one external drive, plus the current working backup drive, which does an incremental backup after the first full backup in its cycle, every night, using Retrospect.

The Amazon thing sounds pretty cool, undressedmonster, I'm going to check it out. Seems like a pretty fair deal for the money, if you consider how much of a drag it would be to go through what NemPerez has had to go through.
            "Lucy, you got some 'splainin' to do!" - Ricky Ricardo

Comment

can't say the b word enough ..... I back up every couple of days and have external drives as well just in case

Learned to do it the hard way

Daily Trivia Game ...GDF Fantasy Football League

Comment

I run backup nightly onto an external HD. Every week I switch the external HD with the my 2nd one and store the unused one in a different building. I burn jobs on to two DVD's, one set of jobs in different building, one here in office. It's just me here and running my own biz so I can't afford to lose stuff.

Comment

I'm pretty bad at backing up my files. I have an external harddrive that I back up onto once my laptops 40 gig hard drive starts getting full. Thats about it. Not only that but everything is a mess. I need to go through an organize everything.

I want to get another external and a small fire proof safe to store it in, along with other priceless stuff like photos and videos.

Comment

Not really. Living on borrowed time. Asked the boss people to give us either time and/or hardware to do this. So far they've just nodded and said that this sounds like a good idea.

As the drives get so much bigger, my file housecleaning has gotten sloppier too. If only life was like a hard drive where the biggest messes could simply be dropped into a new folder and safely forgotten.

Priceless? I don't think I have any of that on my drives. Given a choice of one or the other, I'd probably grab my sketchbooks/notebooks first and leave the machine. No wait, first I'd have to reach for Carl. [The pet slug I keep in a jar on my desktop]

Comment

Originally posted by Broacher
                      No wait, first I'd have to reach for Carl. [The pet slug I keep in a jar on my desktop]
                      Are you serious? I am now intrigued by Carl. Does he do any tricks or just slime about?
                      It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

Originally posted by Broacher
                        Not really. Living on borrowed time. Asked the boss people to give us either time and/or hardware to do this. So far they've just nodded and said that this sounds like a good idea.

As the drives get so much bigger, my file housecleaning has gotten sloppier too. If only life was like a hard drive where the biggest messes could simply be dropped into a new folder and safely forgotten.

Priceless? I don't think I have any of that on my drives. Given a choice of one or the other, I'd probably grab my sketchbooks/notebooks first and leave the machine. No wait, first I'd have to reach for Carl. [The pet slug I keep in a jar on my desktop]
                        Well along with my work I have a lot of digital photos / videos on my drive. Sketchbooks are also something I'd throw in.

I had a pet slug once. I put him in the back on my dads yukon and he slimmed out of his little cardboard home. No more slugs for me.

Comment

Slugs and salt are not good friends

Comment

I backup a few times a year. I've got stuff on an external HD, some stuff on my web server, stuff at work, plus stuff on a work server, but I really dont do it much. The only thing I would really miss are my artwork files, fonts, stock photos and personal photos.
                            "To be is to do" --Socrates.
                            "To do is to be" --Jean-Paul Sartre.
                            "Do be do be do" --Frank Sinatra

Comment

Sure sounds like a lot of stuff to miss, Cam.
                              "Lucy, you got some 'splainin' to do!" - Ricky Ricardo

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
                              Working...
                              X