Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• PanToshi
    Reply to Logo design for Game Developer
    PanToshi
    Are you seriously considering passing off a stolen logo graphic as "your design" to a forum of professional designers? Freakin' hilarious.

Copying someone else work is not what...
    Today, 03:45 PM
  • KitchWitch
    Reply to Hello all!
    KitchWitch
    Hi Edz and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything...
    Today, 03:34 PM
  • KitchWitch
    Reply to Colors for a map...
    KitchWitch
    Hi Gorgon and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done...
    Today, 03:33 PM
  • KitchWitch
    Reply to Logo design for Game Developer
    KitchWitch
    In addition to whats been said above, your company name and logo should not be created in the same process. People who do this tend to be too willing to change their company name to suit a cool logo design....
    Today, 03:31 PM
  • Laceycowgurl
    Reply to Print image quality
    Laceycowgurl
    Thanks guys! I had a very stern convo with the boss yesterday. Hopefully it will keep him a bay until the next project. He's just as cheap as he can get and refuses to pay for photography. He's lucky...
    Today, 03:19 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• design in toronto

I hope some of you upstate New Yorkers can help me here...I'm moving to Canada with my b/f for a year on November 1st this year, we'll be staying in toronto for around 6 months and I'd like to tyr to get some design work in this time. Here's my problem...Toronto's a lot bigger than any city I'm used to and I dont want to end up living in the opposite end of town to my job (I currently have a 1.5 hour commute each way) so are there any areas of toronto that have a high density of design firms??

Downtown area is infested with them.

A good start may be Marketing Magazine, alot of freelance opportunities.
    http://members.marketingmag.ca/login.jsp

I will find some other for you, I just have to go to a meeting.
    "You're just jealous because YOUR hat doesn't have a clock in it!"

Comment

and I'm guessing downtown is expensive to live? looking at sub-letting/short-term let apartment web-sites and most seem to say downtown/annexe/beaches are all expensive. Though we were looking for somewhere where we could experience toronto properly so I suppose downtown would be the best for that too.

Comment

I've looked at Marketing Mag before, but the problem is most listings just say 'Toronto' and don't specify what district/area

Comment

You might want to look in Mississauga too. It's a fair way out of the city, but there seems to be a lot of firms there.

But pretty much, they're everywhere.
          In this post there are 47 people, none of them can be seen.

Comment

god, thanks macFinn, as i said I'm not used to the size of a place like Toronto, coming from Glasgow! so I could pretty much get a flat where it's cheap and not have to worry too much about a commute?

Comment

I think what you'll need to worry about is getting a flat that's cheap
              Cost of living here is pretty high.

Myself, I commute about an hour each way everyday, it's a pain but it's doable. I work right downtown so I take the subway.

Research some companies your interesting in first, depending on what kind of job you want (size of company) you'll have a lot of options.

Comment

doh, misread your post, didn't realize you needed a place to live. My bad.

Toronto Transit is actually a really good way to get around. I can get downtown on transit faster than by car.

Mississauga while cheap is "out in the boonies" as far as down town. Depending on where you would be it could be a 1.5 hr plus transit ride.

One warning - Stay out of Scarbourough. Cheap to live, but just a dirty boring area.

Comment

Originally posted by Danger_Mouse
                  Toronto Transit is actually a really good way to get around. I can get downtown on transit faster than by car.
                  For sure! Even if I had a car I wouldn't be driving downtown.

One warning - Stay out of Scarbourough. Cheap to live, but just a dirty boring area.
                  Not the safest area either, and it's out a ways too.

Comment

I think we'd prob rather live somewhere cramped near the centre than a larger flat on the outskirts, afterall it's not permanent. My b/f is prob just going to get bar-work and that's why I was worried about commuting - I do it at the moment and we hardly see each other at all, one of the main reasons we're going away is to spend more time together. So I know if I end up staying somewhere devoid of design opportunities I'll prob just end up doing bar-work too so I'm not living the reclusive life I do here (between my full-time job and free-lancing)! so I'm really keen keep the comute to a minimum.

I've seen some downtown (cabbagetown?) flats advertised at $950 for one bedrooms (hope this doesn't break the no price discussion rule!!) roughly the same aswe're paying here (425) but maybe these are dives!

Comment

just realised I've been totally overdoing the exclamation marks - I'm very tired sorry (!)

Comment

If you're planning on living downtown, don't worry about the commute too much. LIke DM said, the TTC (toronto transit commission) is a pain in the ass, but good at getting you were you need to go. In the city you can pretty much hop on a streetcar or a subway to get you where you need to go.

If you're set paying $950-$1000 then you should be fine, I don't know too much about downtown costs, but that's pretty close to what I pay in North York (top of Toronto).

Comment

not set on it but that would be pretty much our maximum - we manage on that here (that's quite cheap here) so unless we earn a lot less in canada we should be fine. Might even try a bedsit (Bachelor?) flat for cheaper if we can find a nice one.

That's good then if everywhere is pretty much commutable by the TTC in the centre, I was worried that the districts would be almost like small cities themselves (sorry if i'm being naive). I'm so excited now - only 7 weeks to go (only 3 at my boring full time job thankfully) and then we go!

Comment

Where are you in North York Mac? Im at Don Mills and Lawrence.

Comment

Abi....spend some time looking . Sometimes in the Danforth area you will find a family with a house renting a basement apt or something at a good price for the right couple.
                              Do some digging and I am sure you will find a good deal.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X