X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quark Question - Importing text

I'm still figuring out the ins and outs of Quark and have a quick question if anyone has a minute -

Whenever I copy and paste text from Microsoft Word into Quark, I lose the italicized words (they come up as plain text) as well as the superscript footnote markers. I've been assuming for the longest that's just what I have to deal with and have been going back and changing/adding as needed, but I'm now working on a 100 page document with lots of italics and footnotes and so I'm wondering if there's anything I can do as far as preference settings to make it recognize them.

I have Quark 6.5 by the way.

Thanks!
    Rachel

Can't you just place the text into Quark by creating a text box then right clicking on it and going to place? Its been a while since I've used quark but im sure someone else will come in here with a more detailed answer.
    Man who farts in church, sits in own pew.

Comment

Export your Word file test as RTF (rich test format) and import ...might work. Copying and pasting will drive you nuts.
      It's not about the world of design.
      It's about the design of the world.
      Massive Change

Comment

I have the same problem. I hear theres an extension you can get. What OS are you on? If its not X, then the rtf's won't read properly either. When this has been a problem for me with newsletters and such, I save the document as a pdf and then copy/paste from there, although that puts paragraph returns in the wrong places. I'd prefer to redo paragraph returns rather than all those odd little characters it puts in and replaces, etc. I feel your pain!
        You're no longer a child when a mud puddle is an obstacle rather than an opportunity!

Comment

there are word and RTF extensions
          It's not about the world of design.
          It's about the design of the world.
          Massive Change

Comment

Instead of copying and pasting, why not just import the text into a text box? That should retain all local formatting from the Word file. The only problem might be that the italics will be styled italics rather than the true italic font, but you could easily change that in the Font Usage dialogue box after you import.
            "Lucy, you got some 'splainin' to do!" - Ricky Ricardo

Comment

not to be a pain but InDesign keeps the settings whereas Quark usually loses everything including the font. One more reason I prefer InDesign and have been making teh switch when I can at work.
              Dribbble Page
              Behance Portfolio
              Linkedin Profile

Comment

Well, I don't have Quark here on my home machine (I prefer InDesign for my freelance stuff at home), but it is installed on my machine at work.

I believe that provided you don't import the text as just ASCII text, it will preserve local formatting.

I'll double check when I get to work tomorrow morning.
                "Lucy, you got some 'splainin' to do!" - Ricky Ricardo

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                Working...
                X