Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Organising Files and Folders

Hi All

I'm curious as to what sort of systems other people are using to keep their jobs organised. I've been using the following for a few years and find it useful:

>denotes folder

Job No. + Title Folder containing
    >Quark/Indesign File
    >Photoshop (all PSDs, EPSs, TIFFs etc)
    >Illustrator (all Vector Files AIs, EPSs)
    >Supplied (all text or instructions from the client)
    >PDFs (all the PDF proofs broken down onto folders called 1st Proof, 2nd Proof and so on.)
    >FA or To Print Folder (collected artwork/PDF)

I have come across a lot of people who have no apparent organisation to their files and I always find it very difficult to to navigate their files and find what I'm looking for. Has anyone else had this problem are am I a total pedant?

As I said Im just curious as to what other people do/think.

Thanks

I'm very organized. I keep all my files in a nice organized clump on my desktop. SO I can see them at all times.

j/k, I only have 2 icons on my desktop. I hate desktop icons.
    In this post there are 47 people, none of them can be seen.

Comment

I tend to get a lot of repeat work from several main clients so I tend to organise by client, then project name, inside that its just a mess of image, photoshop, printers instructions, PDF etc files. The only thing I try to organise properly is invoices which I organise by saving under a reference (client and job number). Not the best but it suits my needs

Comment

Something few people realize is just how easy it is to create an empty default folder tree structure and simply drag/copy the whole tree to a new directory for instant organization on every new job.

Comment

We are alphabetical.

Work folder
          Folders titled: A, B, C etc.
          Folders titled with: Company/product name
          Folders titled with: Job title and any relevant files.

Can get messy when clients have more than one product going and we might save under the product instead of the main client, or vice versa but we get there!
          It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

Here's how I organize my stuff:

>Client#_ClientName
            >ProjectTitle
            >images
            >documents (usually Word files that contain the content)
            >for_print
            designfile_version#.indd
            >ProjectTitle...
            ...and so on. Mostly I just keep images, content files, and final files for print separate.

I hate a cluttered desktop, too. I also want to scream when I see people who just keep all their documents in one clump in the default Windows "My Documents" folder. Then they (boss...::cough cough: wonder why they can't find the file they're looking for.

Comment

I hate when people name their folders after something that isn't the company or product name! We had a temp in for a month and it's been a mission trying to figure out what he names things! Also doesn't help that his spelling was shocking...
              It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

We do it similarly to the way others have posted:

>Client name
                >>Project Job Number_Description
                layout files
                >>Support
                >>>FPO
                >>>PSD
                >>>Flat
                >>>Vector
                >>Word Docs
                >>PDF's
                "Lucy, you got some 'splainin' to do!" - Ricky Ricardo

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback everyone, seems its about halfo halfo. I just know I want to scream when I have to artwork a job created by someone eles and all the images in it are scattered across our network instead of in a designated folder

I feel better now

Comment

psd
                    images
                    supplied
                    artwork
                    pdfs
                    old
                    fla (if working in flash)

Every job I've had have had slightly different methods.

Comment

home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                    Working...
                    X