Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• ISitude
    Reply to Logo tutorial
    ISitude
    There's a follow-up survey found just after the last vid ...I'm guessing that my written answers are also award winning
    Today, 03:48 AM
  • MichaelWied
    Comment on Logo tutorial
    MichaelWied
    Agreed.
    Today, 03:38 AM
  • PrintDriver
    Reply to Logo tutorial
    PrintDriver
    Then change the title to "Getting Started with Illustrator"
    Not "Logo Design."
    Today, 03:25 AM
  • MichaelWied
    Reply to Logo tutorial
    MichaelWied
    I honestly think he's just showing some quick tuts to get people started in illustrator. But I know what you mean by people seeing these videos and thinking that's how stuff gets done. An even bigger...
    Today, 03:22 AM
  • Buda
    Reply to Need feedback on this package
    Buda
    The chocolate stuff looks like blood.
    Today, 03:16 AM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• indicating internet access on roadsign.

Hi there.

I'm currently designing a road sign for an accommodation business. They offer free wireless hi-speed internet and would like to indicate this on the sign. We are keeping it simple and to the point, how would you do this in as "fast-read" a way as possible, taking up very little space?

All I can come up with is the 'at sign' (@) with the word internet below.

They don't think this is widely-known enough yet to be used, all I can say is that it DOES say internet and it will be usefull for the people who do know what it means, and I would assume that anyone traveling with a laptop, in need of internet access will know this symbol. I would just like to reach the widest audience.

"Free Wireless" makes sense to me. I wouldn't catch what "@ internet" meant on a sign...that says to me "look us up on the internet".

Comment

There is a guy who made symbols for this sort of thing, it didn't really catch on though
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warchalking
      Light a man a fire and he will be warm for a short while. Light a man afire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

Can't you just draw a series of tubes?
        Ned Yeung, A.C.E.
        mediamainline.com
        cyclopsphoto.ca

Comment

LMAO @ ned

one word - hotspot
          Some advice is profound, some is clever. The above post is a good example of both.
          http://www.pedrospracticaljokes.blogspot.com/

Comment

free wireless hi-speed internet and we are indicating this on a sign

Honestly though… hotspot, mouse, etc- they all over used to communicate the internet.

However, if your your going for immediacy I think cliche could work to satisfy your main goal.

Comment

The "@" sign to me would mean "email" and maybe indicate online reservations. I think, in this case, the cliche would work as a common ground for the everyday tourist/traveler/vistor.

Comment

tZ, Im really not looking to be revolutionary with this. Im not inventing a logo for internet, so yes, cliche IS what I am looking for. I just want to see what the majority of people would understand.

I'm surprised that there isnt a logo for internet access. It would make things a lot easier

Thank you for the suggestion of hotspot. I think we'll be going in that direction. Would everyone here, at least, understand that? (I plan on including an image, too... inspired by this) :

Thanks again, everyone.

Comment

Closest thing i've come to finding a true "logo" for internet access. Not popular enough yet though.

Comment

Originally posted by BrentonMailman

Thanks again, everyone.
                    looks like the end result of ignoring the various battery recalls

Comment

Looks like a hot airline supper to me.
                      Ned Yeung, A.C.E.
                      mediamainline.com
                      cyclopsphoto.ca

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Wireless_tower.svg

You don't know what you don't know.

Comment

Bingo - that's what I was thinking of. I found this, which gets across the same idea of some kind of antennae with the wireless "waves"...

http://www.louisville.edu/it/wireles...ess%20Sign.jpg

R.

Comment

I wouldnt be using the heat waves/exploding battery lines. I never liked them either. I wouldnt identify the tower with wireles INTERNET specifically. We use only a 1 foot long antannae, not exactly a radio tower.

I like the image of a person with a laptop, because that is the application we would be using.

At least we are all in agreeance that this is a difficult thing to relate. There seems to be no one way that everyone understands... well, i assume most could UNDERSTAND most of these, it just maybe wouldnt be everyone's first choice.

another question. Does everyone think that $1480 is a good price for 2 (one for each side) pannels of aluminum coated in printed vinyl for this sign? They are each 6X8 feet. I dont have any idea of what something like this should cost, and thats the quote we got, its much lower than a previous quote, so we are definitely going for it, just curious.

Comment

Originally posted by BrentonMailman
                              At least we are all in agreeance that this is a difficult thing to relate. There seems to be no one way that everyone understands...
                              Not at all. I still say that all you need is to draw a series of tubes.
                              Ned Yeung, A.C.E.
                              mediamainline.com
                              cyclopsphoto.ca

Comment

home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X