X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pathfinder tool in Adobe illustrator CS

I'm tring to subtract, divide, or exclude a small path that is on top of a larger path. Basically i want to create a "hole" in the larger path. Ive gotten it to work before but most of the time it doesnt work at all!! i dont get any errors it just sits there and does nothing. I've tried everything and it just seems like it should work. Also, this may be important to note, there are allready other paths that have been subtracted and they work. I trying to add another "hole" to the larger path.

Place the smaller path on top of the larger path in the stacking order, then ALT/OPT-click on the Subract icon.
    The other, less precise method is to select both paths, and press CTRL/CMND-8 (Make Compound Path).
    Ned Yeung, A.C.E.
    mediamainline.com
    cyclopsphoto.ca

Comment

It's less precise? How do you mean? I tend to use the compound path option more mostly out of habit but also because I can Release it later if editing is needed, then ctrl/cmnd 8 again.
      Maybe I need to use the subtract more (there are instances I could use either) if its not as efficient.
      "You're just jealous because YOUR hat doesn't have a clock in it!"

Comment

I don't mean any more precise as in the final quality, just that if you're actually working out for yourself what object you're subtracting from what, then you know there's no room for error. Whereas, "Make Compound Path" allows Illy to make the decision for you. Not that that's a bad thing, in most cases...
        Ned Yeung, A.C.E.
        mediamainline.com
        cyclopsphoto.ca

Comment

heh there are so many ways of achieving the same results in illy, its great.

Comment

Originally posted by Danger_Mouse
            It's less precise? How do you mean? I tend to use the compound path option more mostly out of habit but also because I can Release it later if editing is needed, then ctrl/cmnd 8 again.
            Maybe I need to use the subtract more (there are instances I could use either) if its not as efficient.
            Any object with a hole is a compound path, whether you use 'make compound path' or 'subtract'. I tend to use subtract because it can be used to change the perimeter shape too. Sometimes subtract gets flaky depending on groupings of objects though - I think the top object (the one getting subtracted) has to be a single object, and the bottom ones have to be in one group - but don't quote me on that! Make compound path behaves differently if the paths overlap - all areas with an odd number of overlapping shapes will be solid, all areas with an even number will be holes.

Comment

And you also have to make sure your paths are both closed. Which may also be causing problems for you if you're drawing your paths with the pen tool.

N.A.N.K.A. "We Kick Because We Care."

Comment

And you also have to make sure your paths are both closed. Which may also be causing problems for you if you're drawing your paths with the pen tool.
                Good point!

Comment

home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                Working...
                X