X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Importance of Graphic Design in Music / Vice Versa

Hello there, im new here, and was wondering if anyone could possibly help me with some research i've been doing for my dissertation.

I am researching the effect that Graphic Design has on the music world. For example, how bands are branded, albums packaged and marketed to fit each genre of music etc.

I am also interrested in the effect music has had o nthe design industry itself. With every new wave of music into the world, we generally see a new wave of design. What knock on effect does this have on they way we approach tasks as designers? wether it be for a product/company to do with the music industry or not?

I have been scouring the internet for sources to help me with my research but havn't found a great deal.

I would be very much appreciated for your thoughts on this matter and perhaps any links you could post that would aid me into researching this topic even further.

thanks for reading this!
    dan

I would suggest going to the local record shop checking the designers on the covers of the CDs and interview them, see the copmany's/designer's sites.
    Purity and simplicity... and ubuntu.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. If an elephant has its foot on the tail of a mouse and you say that you are neutral, the mouse will not appreciate your neutrality.
    - Bishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

there's a serious of books produced by uk design company 'Intro'

the books are called Sampler (1, 2 & 3)

Fantastic insight

Comment

Thanks for the response guys!

Comment

i dont know much here, but i feel designs are supposed to fit the product that it's representing (in most scenarios), in this case the product is music. So the the edgier the music, then you would want an edgy design to fit and represent the music accordingly.

Comment

If you can find it, check out a documentary called Under the Covers, about the guys who designed some of the famous rock album covers from the 60's and 70's. Might give you some inspiration for your research.
            "Lucy, you got some 'splainin' to do!" - Ricky Ricardo

Comment

Originally posted by urstwile
              If you can find it, check out a documentary called Under the Covers, about the guys who designed some of the famous rock album covers from the 60's and 70's. Might give you some inspiration for your research.
              would you happen to know who the author of that book is? it sounds interesting

"There's something about turning the pages of a book or magazine and the felling of rubbing your hands across the words."

This is my pen tool. There are many like it, but this one is MINE. My pen tool is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My pen tool without me is useless. Without my pen tool, I am useless.

there is no grey area when it comes to 1 color logos.

Comment

Originally posted by Typically
                would you happen to know who the author of that book is? it sounds interesting
                I think it was a TV program mate, I've been scouring the internet for it but have had no luck 8-(

Comment

Computer Art Project just put out an issuethats all about design for the music industry. Take a look at your local book store, it might still be on the shelves.

Comment

It's a movie documentary. I was able to get it through Netflix. But if you don't have Netflix, you can purchase the DVD here for $20.

Comment

Originally posted by Loopy
                      Computer Art Project just put out an issuethats all about design for the music industry. Take a look at your local book store, it might still be on the shelves.
                      This is EXACTLY what I need! thanks very much 8-)

Comment

Originally posted by urstwile
                        It's a movie documentary. I was able to get it through Netflix. But if you don't have Netflix, you can purchase the DVD here for $20.
                        Just ordered it off amazon, thankyou very much for you help! it is all very much appreciated 8-)

Comment

That's weird, I couldn't find it on Amazon, but obviously you had better luck.

Comment

yeh seen that issue...is ti worth buying, i mean normally there is a lot of content in those mags but i wasnt too keen on parting with mroe than 5, im poor right now... a 19" tft is higher on ym priorities
                            R. S. Young

Comment

I find that the interrelation of the two had a life from the late '40s to the mid '80s -mostly only in popular music, but also briefly in Jazz (espcially in the '40s & 50s).

The nice large 12 inch format of the LP was a much better platform for graphic art and design.

Once Pop Art caught on there was a real symbiosis, tons of "out of the box" ideas for packaging were being imagined.
                              Add to that, there was a large number of pop/rock musicians who came out of the Art schools (as opposed to music shools), and fine art ideas and concepts were frequently creeping in to the music and stagecraft.

The CD really killed the album art - while there are some good ones every now and again, the small format doesn't play nice with the printing, so that details that would work fine with a 12 inch square don't fare as well.

Now with so much of the music being distributed electonically album art will probably dissapear.

Also important was the design of the concert poster and handbills. These really reached a high point in the late '60s - especially in San Francisco - Bill Graham presentation in particular.

Though there was sort of an "anti-art" credo in punk, there really was great graphic design done in the '80s for punk albums and promotions.
                              In college I remember punk being more popular with the Graphic Designers, while the painters and sculptors were into a variety of esoteric musics.
                              Heresy is a victimless crime.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X