Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• sketch28
    What is this type of design called?
    sketch28
    I really like this type of design and would like to try my hand at some of my own, but I would like to see more examples of it. Could anyone tell me what it's called?

Sorry...
    Today, 05:32 AM
  • KitchWitch
    Reply to Created Logo in PS, question about file
    KitchWitch
    Hi Chromez and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done...
    Today, 02:17 AM
  • Saint-Michel
    Reply to Legal size cardstock for business cards
    Saint-Michel
    Thank you for your answer PrintDriver. Seems like I was misinformed. I'll probably have to buy another printer that can print on thicker card stock then. Do you have any suggestions as to what printer...
    Yesterday, 11:30 PM
  • zablockit
    Reply to Please critique my new game design
    zablockit

Ok, skeuomorphic looks awesome!

What do you think now?

What would you improve?...
    Yesterday, 09:11 PM
  • lowfatgraphics
    Reply to Font Management
    lowfatgraphics
    Thanks.

I was testing the Font Suitcase and seems to be screwing with my Chrome bowsers...after some googling--looks like its a known issue. FEX it is then.

Thanks Garricks....
    Yesterday, 08:29 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My First Trade Show Booth

So, our little marketing firm is going to a trade show for HVAC companies in Florida in March, and Im in complete charge of the design of our Booth, Which is something I have never ever done.

We'll have about 10' x 15' of space to do whatever we want with. I definately need some insight here as to where to start off. I was thinking we could rent a projecter and do a flash presentation that shines on a screen at the back of our booth, then the table up front could have some brochure displays, examples of our work, etc.etc.

Anyone have some tips for me, some links, places to start? Any advice, experiences you have had with trade shows would be very appreciated.
    "To be is to do" --Socrates.
    "To do is to be" --Jean-Paul Sartre.
    "Do be do be do" --Frank Sinatra

My biggest piece of advice is to make everything printed very durable or CARRY IT YOURSELF.

I've had so many pieces destroyed by bullish union workers (they often have to load/unload the show stuff) or careless employees that it's nauseating.

A prime example was a show last Feb... I printed up this great 10' x 5' backdrop that looked awesome in the test booth... Too bad it didn't last. Some ass put tape on it and destroyed it before the show even started.

Ugh. I hate booths.
    *insert inane quote here*

Comment

Im doin my first tradeshow booth as well, our show's in FL in two months. I had our booth custom designed by Freeman (www.freeman.com) they are the PowerGen gurus (PowerGen is the name of the show) so I dont know if you'll wanna use em. Anyway, Ive found DO NOT tell them this is your first tradeshow. Tehy like to screw over first timers and jack up the prices because the newbies dont know the pricing. I told them this was my first and they quoted me like 13,000 for the booth design and my boss flipped out and called them. When they found out weve been doing this for 20 years, the price magically dropped to like 7,500 or so.

Anyone out there know how I can get around this crappy prices?? Im paying like $120 a day to rent a barstool!! The tradeshow business is ridiculous. Plus Freeman is printing our graphics for us... they cost more thna Kinkos overnight!
      www.jackiecreative.com

People who live in glass houses sink ships.

Comment

oh yea- good luck!
        www.jackiecreative.com

Comment

We'll probably be shipping the stuff using the shipping company that handles our direct mailing to the site, and then assembling it ourself when we get there.

I'm seeing some setup display walls that look nice in this catalog we have, but these things are $1000 I dont think the boss would go for that.

Comment

Jacki, Thanks, I'll definately need it. Maybe we can help eachother out with the learning process. I'll let you know if I find out any good tips, vendors/ etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackimalyn
              Anyone out there know how I can get around this crappy prices?? Im paying like $120 a day to rent a barstool!! The tradeshow business is ridiculous. Plus Freeman is printing our graphics for us... they cost more thna Kinkos overnight!
              Renting a bar stool for $120 a day? wow.

(Hypothetical scenario)
              Lets see if your show went for 10 days, and say you needed 5 bar stools. But 1 bar stool at 120 a day for 10 days is $1,200.00, now multiply that by 5 (for 5 barstools), that is $6,000.00.

You can buy one for about 100.00 ea (or 5 = $500) saving you, $5,500.00, if you bought 5. But if you need only 1? your saving went up even more to $5,900.00

Sometimes renting will kick you in the butt.
              pas·sion
              If there is no passion in your life, then have you already lived? Find your passion, whatever it may be. Become it, and let it become you, and you will find great things happen for you, to you, and because of you.
              -T. Alan Armstrong

Comment

yea, but there arent many other options. Im not going to tell my boss, hey can you carry these bar stools with you from WI to FL? And its only 3 days.
                www.jackiecreative.com

Comment

Originally posted by Jackimalyn
                  yea, but there arent many other options. Im not going to tell my boss, hey can you carry these bar stools with you from WI to FL? And its only 3 days.
                  bah. find ones you can "break down", and fedex/ups them as a next day. Its still cheaper, than renting.
                  pas·sion
                  If there is no passion in your life, then have you already lived? Find your passion, whatever it may be. Become it, and let it become you, and you will find great things happen for you, to you, and because of you.
                  -T. Alan Armstrong

Comment

You guys are funny.

Renting stools for $120/day? Buy em onsite or have them delivered, then throw them away (or put em on the curb, they go poof). Cheaper.

Projectors? If you project to the back of your booth, where are you gonna walk/stand/put your stuff? It's all plasma screens now kids. Hooked up to hard drives or PCs to present flash presentations. Start with a footprint. Then work on the walls.
                    Last edited by PrintDriver; 09-14-2006, 08:04 PM.

Comment

Here is one you can at Reub's favorite store $129.99 for 1
                      pas·sion
                      -T. Alan Armstrong

Comment

printdriver, you can tell my boss that he has to do that then
                        www.jackiecreative.com

Comment

We put a nice big LCD monitor in our tradeshow booth hooked up to a laptop, the scary thing is that this screen is damn heavy and the booth struts have to hold this thing up.

We also found that they kill you with rentals. You want carpet? Bend over. You want underlay under that carpet? Bend over. You want internet? Bend waaay over. They even get you for things like power which you assume would be free. We tried to buy as much as we could once we got to the city, and like PD said left behind what we couldn't ship back.
                          match in the gas tank, boom boom

Comment

Is is for the ISH show Camarotta? Just wondering because I work in the HVAC industry too. I've done a few walk arounds at shows and found a lot of the booths are really really bad. Lots of booths just had row upon row of fittings and valves on the walls. The nice ones had a small sampling of their products on displays. One neato booth selling comfort spas and jacuzzis had hot women giving back massages.

If you are curious about other companies in the market these guys seem to have the sharpest marketing/trade show stuff in my opinion http://www.grundfos.com and these guys had a really nice booth http://www.moen.com/

I would totally recomend checking out a show before hand if you can find the time.
                            match in the gas tank, boom boom

Comment

I like the idea of getting a plasma or LCD display.

This is for the Indoor Air Expo at the Disney Coronado Convention Center or something like that. From the material I see from our clients, I can only imagine that most of the booths there will be crap, so I'd really like to have us stand out. Its going to be hard with our Owner, who doesnt like to spend a lot of money on stuff like this, which is totally foolish because if we can go in there spending 10,000 on a booth and expenses and leaving with just 1 or 2 new clients that spend $10,000 on marketing each month, its well worth our investment

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X