Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• kemingMatters
    Reply to Happy Last Friday of August!!!
    kemingMatters
    While I'm sad to see it fall to the wayside I can understand. IMHO the forum has been slowing down quite a bit lately; a lot of regulars aren't as active anymore. I think we've been in decline since the...
    Today, 04:17 PM
  • Red Kittie Kat
    Happy Last Friday of August!!!
    Red Kittie Kat
    I'm sorry to say the Friday Post is going on hiatus for a while. It's getting progressively difficult to make it entertaining for all of you. However if you happen to be a part of or see a thread that...
    Today, 03:44 PM
  • deniedaccess
    Reply to Adding Music to Graphics
    deniedaccess
    I'm using CS6 and have the timeline open but I don't see any options for that. Just the usual play/stop/new frame options.
    Today, 03:31 PM
  • Carlo
    Reply to Adding Music to Graphics
    Carlo
    See that you have your timeline panel open, it's under the window menu. In the timeline you can add audio depending on the version of photoshop you have
    Today, 03:25 PM
  • Cosmo
    Reply to Client hasn't paid and is using my website!!
    Cosmo
    This is why whenever I build a site for someone it goes up on my server. It only moves to their sever after they have paid.
    Today, 03:11 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need to move to find a job. Where should I go?

Struggling for experience is an understatement. I've been trying to do this volunteer thing, where I approach business I'm interested in and ask to help out their marketing and design teams. It helps once in a while, but it has not rendered me anything long-term and the contacts I make usually toss my name aside after the events. I'm currently living in Michigan, which you'd think would have design needs just like any other state, but we have one of the worst local economics in the country (I think only New Orleans is below us!).

Anyway, I want some advice or suggestions as to where, if you were me, would aim to put yourself if you wanted to become a professional designer in the print, web, and enviromental graphics fields. It seems when I cold call companies asking to talk to people in charge, I get the run around. I don't have a real direction to go into. I don't know where the hubs are.

Also, since i'm in the catch-22 of "you don't have experience/we won't give you experience," what would be a good next move? I've interned. I've done free work. I'm starting to think its either I have really bad breath or that I'm just in the wrong place at the wrong time. Either way, a tic tac or a moving van seems like my solution. Any advice from the community?
    Broke or just cheap? Read my list of free open source alternatives to Adobe Creative Suite software.

What about chicago?
    You can fool some of the people all the time, and those are the ones you want to concentrate on. --GWB

Comment

I had a really hard time getting a job before this one I'm currently at, and I was in the same boat as you; I had a decent starting out portfolio, but not good enough to get me a job that more experienced designers were applying to. Right now, Im not getting paid what I deserve, but its a long way from not having one, and feeling down every day about it anymore.

Maybe its confidence you need? You really gotta have confidence, I remember I had no confidence that I was hireable and that felt like the biggest barrier. I guess you gotta just really believe it will happen. Work on making your portfolio slicker, make a professionally acceptable website, that stuff will give you the confidence and positive belief in yourself. Learn everything you can about the CMYK process, just keep getting better, you'll get hired eventually. It might not be the best job, or one you are looking for, but daily experience is what counts, so you can walk away with a better portfolio and the confidence that you can get a job done.
      "To be is to do" --Socrates.
      "To do is to be" --Jean-Paul Sartre.
      "Do be do be do" --Frank Sinatra

Comment

i landed my job with an agency after only having freelance experience, i was up against hundreds of other designers with much more experience. I'm director now so it pays off to have a great portfolio. I say make a website and sell yourself, see who's hiring and who would be a good fit for you then go for it. Hopefully you have a degree too
        the best designs happen when you don't even realize they are there.

Comment

Not New Zealand! I haven't seen a GD job advertise in a long time...
          It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

I just got back from an unplanned trip to Seattle and now I want to move there. It was really nice. Everyone was very polite and friendly, and they have a large arts community. I am sure you could get some kind of work out there.

Comment

yeah seattle is rad. west coast housing costs though.
              You can fool some of the people all the time, and those are the ones you want to concentrate on. --GWB

Comment

True... But it was so nice

Comment

lol, not Upstate NY... but I won't get into that for the umpteenth time.

ok, ok, quickly, and just once more:

"graphic designer needed, must have associates or bachelor's degree, 3+ years experience in design, strong knowledge of prepress, some web design required. Starting $8/hr"
                  Last edited by morea; 09-15-2006, 04:40 AM.
                  "It's never too late to be who you might have been." - George Eliot

Comment

Originally posted by morea
                    "graphic designer needed, must have associates or bachelor's degree, 3+ years experience in design, strong knowledge of prepress, some web design required. Starting $8/hr"
                    I seriously wish that this is not a real listing. Holy shit

Comment

I'm thinking it probably is. It's not far off the mark from some of the salaries I see advertised here in CA as well.
                      "Lucy, you got some 'splainin' to do!" - Ricky Ricardo

Comment

Holy crap, how could anyone live on that in CA? Anywhere for that matter.

Comment

You can't

Do you have a portfolio online? Is your resume up to date? I might just start sending out emails to every web and design related place you can find in the area. Then call them to follow up. At my place, we keep everything just about every resume and link that is sent to us, just in case. That is how I got hired. They had my info. You definetely need confidence, verging on the cocky. Like a salesman.

Comment

I took a $20,000 pay cut when I moved out here, but at the time (ten years ago) the cost of living was much lower, compared to New York, than it is now. It's hard to imagine how people live out here. Unless they're in biotech. They're certainly not doing graphic design, not without living with someone else who's helping them pay the nut. Or they're living in a closet and eating lots of Ramen noodles and drinking Koolaid. Yummy as that sounds, um, not so much. Fortunately, I'm in a dual income situation, otherwise, I'd be living out in the sticks and commuting an hour each way to work.

We've got $300,000 studio sized condos going up in the downtown area, I wonder who is affording those? Certainly not me! And most of them are standing vacant, ironically enough.
                            "Lucy, you got some 'splainin' to do!" - Ricky Ricardo

Comment

In Reno, NV, rent is high, and getting higher, but the pay is not. I am posting this from my makeshift bedroom in my parents family room

I make good money, but I sleep on their couch. WTF? We aren't even a large city. I don't understand how people do it. How they actually live in san francisco, new york, etc. Crazy.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X