X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trajan Font Dilemma

I want to use Trajan on a book cover. it's perfect. Problem is it's serif AND it only comes in uppercase forms.

Does anyone know of another serif font we could use for text (I don't do interiors, but quite of the designer wants to match the font) or has any company come out with a mixed case version of Trajan?

Linotype Trajanus has lower case its similar. Not sure if that's what you are looking for though.

Daily Trivia Game ...GDF Fantasy Football League

Comment

UGH FORGET IT, I've had no coffee yet and I keep editing this darned post.

In summary I'm trying to ask: Why does it need to match?

Last edited by EC; 09-15-2006, 04:30 PM.
      You can fool some of the people all the time, and those are the ones you want to concentrate on. --GWB

Comment

Adobe's Trajan Pro has small caps for lower case characters, if that matters.

Comment

well I think she's trying to find something they can set the body text with if I'm understanding it correctly. I think of Trajan as more of a display font though, so I think just the standard Minion Pro or whatever looks nice would be fine. But this is really not my area so I dunno.
          You can fool some of the people all the time, and those are the ones you want to concentrate on. --GWB

Comment

After a couple of paragrahs I'd stop reading text set in Trajan Pro myself. I
            can only think of a few things I'd suffer through it for.

Comment

I don't want to set any body text in Trajan, I set the title in Trajan, but at some point, some poor typesetter is going to have to come up with a serif font for the text body....I need suggestions. I need a serif to serif match. There is Trajan lower case font, so it's not an option and I don't think setting a book in uppercase is wise. LOL

Doubting, it's not possible to set text in Trajan, it only comes in uppercase.

I'll check out Trajanus, Kittie, thanks.

Comment

Let us know what you decide to go with Cat

Daily Trivia Game ...GDF Fantasy Football League

Comment

I guess I'm with EC.
                  Why does it need to match?

Comment

It doesn't need to match as in look the same, it just needs to look good with it. I don't want a book with a bunch of mis-matched fonts that don't work well together...ideally the book cover should flow into the guts design-wise, so the fonts should work well together. I just can't find another serif font that I think looks good with Trajan.

Quite often chapter headings, etc. will be in the same font as the cover title. In this case though, I think I'll run the back cover text in a san-serif, and that way the typesetter can use the sans serif for headings, but I'd still like to have some book block options.

Comment

Did you look at Goudy Oldstyle?
                      "Lucy, you got some 'splainin' to do!" - Ricky Ricardo

Comment

home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                      Working...
                      X