Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Learning Photoshop CS2

Hi,

I am planning to get into web design and need to learn photoshop as well. Currently I have Photoshop CS2 installed in my computer but I have no idea where to start. Is there a Photoshop DVD (PC version) that some of you may recommend? If not, what is a good source or website for a beginner to learn the basics to intermediate level of photoshop. Any replies, advice and responses are greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys

You could try here: Adobe Training. Or here: Photoshop Tutorials.

There's also a podcast available through iTunes called Photoshop TV which is really good. As well as their website.

You might also want to check your local library to see if they have any books.
    "Lucy, you got some 'splainin' to do!" - Ricky Ricardo

Comment

Total Training for Adobe Photoshop CS2 (with Deke McClelland - very entertaining AND informative)

Best DVD training series you'll find, in my less-than-humble opinion.
      Ned Yeung, A.C.E.
      mediamainline.com
      cyclopsphoto.ca

Comment

I'm a big admirer of his books as well. Deke McClelland rocks.

Books work better for me than video training, since I feel like I can get more hands-on with a book next to my computer on my desk.

But I've heard the Total Training stuff is really good.

Comment

Are you sure this photoshop dvd is for a beginner like me? I checked on amazon.com and people complained about how he does not introduce the pen tool (which is one thing I am having a lot of trouble with) and other various issues. Also, the price is quite high dont you think???

Comment

Originally posted by urstwile
            I'm a big admirer of his books as well. Deke McClelland rocks.

Books work better for me than video training, since I feel like I can get more hands-on with a book next to my computer on my desk.

But I've heard the Total Training stuff is really good.
            They're not just good, they're FAN-FRICKIN'-TASTIC!!

Sorry... Just got an IM from the Total Training Rep. They are not sending me the sponsorship cheque I requested. Scratch the last remark...
            Ned Yeung, A.C.E.
            mediamainline.com
            cyclopsphoto.ca

Comment

Originally posted by jasonchan
              Are you sure this photoshop dvd is for a beginner like me? I checked on amazon.com and people complained about how he does not introduce the pen tool (which is one thing I am having a lot of trouble with) and other various issues. Also, the price is quite high dont you think???
              Just how much of a beginner are you talking about? I used Total Training videos while first learning the programs, and continued using them into the advanced stages of my career.

However, if you're starting completely from scratch, perhaps you should first get a good step-by-step training book. Try Adobe's Classroom in a Book for Photoshop CS2. It contains many step-by-step, easy to follow lessons, but at the same time includes indepth blurbs on important facts and techniques about the program, what it does, and why it does it. All straight from the horse's mouth.

As far as the price for the videos... I know they are daunting, but that is what you will expect from any decent training in this industry. It's like taking a 2 day weekend course in the design application of your choice, at your local college. About the same level of learning, and a very similiar price. If you start with the Classroom in a Book, or something similiar, then it will be a lot cheaper for you, of course.

Here's an idea if you wish to purchase the DVD - try finding other locals who are interested in learning the same thing, and split the cost amongst yourselves, agreeing to pass the videos around until everybody's had their chance at it, or watch them all together at a central location.
              Last edited by Ned; 09-17-2006, 01:19 AM.
              Ned Yeung, A.C.E.
              mediamainline.com
              cyclopsphoto.ca

Comment

Originally posted by Ned
                Here's an idea if you wish to purchase the DVD - try finding other locals who are interested in learning the same thing, and split the cost amongst yourselves, agreeing to pass the videos around until everybody's had their chance at it, or watch them all together at a central location.
                Most excellent idea, Ned!

Jason, here's a link to a pen tool tutorial that might help you get started if that's been bugging you: Photoshop Pen Tool.

Comment

Most excellent idea, Ned!
                  Do you really mean that?

'Cause I thuoght of that off the top of my head, y'know?

How's that for creative thinking?
                  Ned Yeung, A.C.E.
                  mediamainline.com
                  cyclopsphoto.ca

Comment

I really meant it. Sheesh.

I thought it was a great idea for people going to graphic design school, etc., who could group together and purchase the videos for a fraction of owning it individually. Kinda like a co-op sort of thing.

Comment

I thought it was a great idea for people going to graphic design school, etc., who could group together and purchase the videos for a fraction of owning it individually. Kinda like a co-op sort of thing.
                      That's what we used to do for "Computer Arts" in college.
                      Purity and simplicity... and ubuntu.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. If an elephant has its foot on the tail of a mouse and you say that you are neutral, the mouse will not appreciate your neutrality.
                      - Bishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

Originally posted by Ned
                        try finding other locals who are interested in learning the same thing, and split the cost amongst yourselves, agreeing to pass the videos around until everybody's had their chance at it, or watch them all together at a central location.

A couple hundred years ago, a man named Benjamin Franklin had a similar idea. He called it a "library".

I'm sorry, I'm being a smart@$$ again.
                        Light a man a fire and he will be warm for a short while. Light a man afire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

A library? That's a fantastic idea! Did he patent that?
                          Ned Yeung, A.C.E.
                          mediamainline.com
                          cyclopsphoto.ca

Comment

Originally posted by Riya
                            A couple hundred years ago, a man named Benjamin Franklin had a similar idea. He called it a "library".

I'm sorry, I'm being a smart@$$ again.
                            You're not being a smart@$$. See below:

You might also want to check your local library to see if they have any books.
                            From my initial reply. The library's a great resource for stuff like this.

Comment

I've been to a library before. It's neat. They have all kinds of books there. I couldn't find a price on any of them, though; so I didn't buy anything.
                              Ned Yeung, A.C.E.
                              mediamainline.com
                              cyclopsphoto.ca

Comment

home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X