Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• kiwikat07
    Reply to Seeking critiques
    kiwikat07
    Okay, I found a one-color option that I'm pleased with using a dot pattern in Illustrator. I will check with the decal company and see if they are able to render the dots. I would think so....
    Today, 12:32 AM
  • kiwikat07
    Comment on Seeking critiques
    kiwikat07
    Hi Kayekaye! Yes, I agree. Black-only is seemingly less needed these days. Ironically, in this case I really will need a one-color option because we will be doing some window decals! (For example: ht...
    Today, 12:10 AM
  • garricks
    Comment on Happy Last Friday of July!!!!
    garricks
    Ain't that the truth!

Additionally it's been unseasonably cool so far this summer. We've only been in the 90s a few times. Tomorrow we're due to hit 99 in the afternoon, with a heat index...
    Yesterday, 11:18 PM
  • PrintDriver
    Reply to Happy Last Friday of July!!!!
    PrintDriver
    Happy Friday.
    It's been a nice quiet July for a change. Too bad it's over so quickly. Why does the slide into winter never take as long as the slide into spring?...
    Yesterday, 10:14 PM
  • PrintDriver
    Comment on Happy Last Friday of July!!!!
    PrintDriver
    Just clicky the little arrow next to the "Originally posted by..." line. Takes you right to it.
    Yesterday, 10:12 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing background

I was trying to select a figure of a baby with Photoshop Magnetic Lasso tool so I could remove background, but it didn't work well on the hair. When I pasted the selection on a white background, I wasn't happy with the quality.
    Is there anything better for selecting hair - any other tool or program? I'd appreciate any ideas. Thanks.

I use the regular lasso tool and do small sections at a time ... and blow it up big so I can get a more precise cut

Daily Trivia Game ...GDF Fantasy Football League

Comment

You may have good results using this technique, depending on the photo.
      http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/pho...bps_5agirl.htm

Other than that, zoom in real far and do small sections with any seletion tool.
      Light a man a fire and he will be warm for a short while. Light a man afire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

Hair is always really tricky, you'll have to use more than the magic wand selection tool to get a good selection without it looking choppy. Here's where you want to play with layer masks. You can paint with a feathered brush on the layer mask in the hair area, to get a softer transition.

Try this tutorial, to see if it helps. Complicated selections
        "Lucy, you got some 'splainin' to do!" - Ricky Ricardo

Comment

The magnetic lasso on hair? I'm sorry, but that's about the worst tool you could possibly use for that job.

There are a myriad of methods which will work worse or better on different images. A pro can find the best shortcut by looking at the image, and knowing the kind of results you need. However, not knowing the image, the one thing I can suggest to you which will take some time, but will be sure to give you good results in the end (if done with care), would be to draw your selection in Quick Mask mode. First, select the entire image by pressing CTRL-A or holding CTRL/CMND while clicking on the background layer's icon. Then press Q to enter quick mask. That will give you a rubylith color (if you haven't changed the default), across the entire image. Use your brush to paint with white the areas that you want unmasked (the baby), and paint in black the areas you want masked (the background - will show as the rubylith). Press D to set your brushes to the default Black Forground and White Background, then perss X to switch between the two.

Press [ to make your brush smaller, ] to make it larger. SHIFT-[ to make it softer, and SHIFT-] to make it harder (I bet you ladies wish it were that easy...).

Open your color palette, and choose a greyscale color between black and white, if you want something to be partially transparent.

Once you've completed your selection, press CTRL/CMND-J to jump that selection onto its own layer. Don't forget that you can save the selection at any time by clicking on the New Channel icon in the Channels palette.
          Last edited by Ned; 09-17-2006, 05:06 AM.
          Ned Yeung, A.C.E.
          mediamainline.com
          cyclopsphoto.ca

Comment

Didn't know the Shift-[ ] trick, Ned. Neat! I've been using the [ and ] thing a lot, it's nice to know that one. I change my brush size and softness a lot in the course of my day. Gotta love a good shortcut.

Comment

I don't know how anybody could possibly use Photoshop without those shortcuts. Sometimes my crappy computer runs out of RAM and none of my brush adjustment keys work (just the mouse sliders in the tool options bar). When that happens, I have no choice but to save the file, shut down Photoshop, and restart (just PS, not the computer). Pain in the butt, but it's far less annoying than not using my keyboard shortcuts.
              Ned Yeung, A.C.E.
              mediamainline.com
              cyclopsphoto.ca

Comment

Yeah, I hear ya, especially after I learn a really cool new one like you shared, I know I'm going to be hooked on those.

Comment

Oh, and lets not forget one of the major reasons I get frustrated whenever I work in a non-Adobe environment... Zoom and Hand Tool shortcuts.
                  Ned Yeung, A.C.E.
                  mediamainline.com
                  cyclopsphoto.ca

Comment

That's why I've been trying to work more in the suite it's a beautiful thing. We still need to work in Quark at my office as well, but I'm slowly getting people to make the switch to InDesign, plus we got the MarkzWare plug-in so that makes it more feasible.

Comment

Keep up the good fight, Urst! Teach people that, "No, it's NOT okay to use Quark!"
                      Ned Yeung, A.C.E.
                      mediamainline.com
                      cyclopsphoto.ca

Comment

I been tryin'! I think I've got them partly converted, with the exception of one person who hates change. At home that's what I use exclusively. I don't even have Quark on my home computer.

Comment

Good for you, Urst. It's bodes well for your being, to keep your inner sanctum clean and free of all nasty, unwanted debris.
                          Ned Yeung, A.C.E.
                          mediamainline.com
                          cyclopsphoto.ca

Comment

LOL, yeah, detritus really sucks.

Comment

home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                            Working...
                            X