Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• The01printer
    Reply to Working on a logo for myself
    The01printer
    I'm not sure if it was your intention, but I can't decide if, He is looking up, or She is looking down. I am not even sure if I prefer one way or the other but leaning toward I like Him looking up! Maybe...
    Today, 02:35 AM
  • B
    Reply to how do i work this dang thing
    B
    Hi BillySmith, and welcome to the forum.

We get a whole lot of would-be spammers signing up, so the first few posts from all new forum member are approved by a moderator. So, if your first...
    Today, 02:33 AM
  • Begeebuz
    My Stonework company logo
    Begeebuz
    Finally joined after a long time of lurking. Rate my logo for my upcoming business, I feel its too cramped and Im not digging the logo but I want to hear from others Thanks

Today, 01:49 AM
  • BillySmith
    how do i work this dang thing
    BillySmith
    where do my posts go? is anyone reading this? gah. #N00B
    Today, 12:38 AM
  • molliwhopped
    Reply to Working on a logo for myself
    molliwhopped
    I like it! Ignore the typography? i think it fits well!
    Today, 12:05 AM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you begin?

Creative Process...
    I was taught to start working on something (namely a logo) with good old pen and paper. Ideas flow faster and you think about concepts and composition rather than fonts etc.

I now totally skip the drawing stage and start logo designs in Illustrator.

It's a bit sad really, I do miss pen and paper, but I feel like I can get something done faster straight to computer. I do realise though, I miss out on the variation of concepts I used to get.

Maybe this post will make me get back to good old pen and paper.

So where do you start? And what programme?
    Anyone do a combination of pen and paper / computer by scribbling in Photoshop?
    It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

The only time I don't sketch is quick in-house publication ads.

I don't see why you would even consider developing a logo without starting on paper.
    Last edited by Ned; 09-18-2006, 06:12 AM.
    Ned Yeung, A.C.E.
    mediamainline.com
    cyclopsphoto.ca

Comment

This is something I definately want to hear from everyone else too.

I usually do quick sketches on paper, then go into Illustrator. I get really good conceptual ideas fast. But my layouts for those concepts take time to develop.

Im not the best hand artist, I have a shakey hand and I've tried a lot to improve, but I just cant do fast accurate drawings. If I take a lot of time to fix my marks and smooth it all out, I can turn out stuff worthy of any design firm, but theres no point for me to do that when it takes so long. I also sorta developed my "shakey improvising, leave all the mistakes in" into my artistic style (on my website). For art, its great, but for design, it doesnt always work too well.

I'd really like to hear from more experienced people on what their process is for coming up with layout and thumbnailing practices.
      "To be is to do" --Socrates.
      "To do is to be" --Jean-Paul Sartre.
      "Do be do be do" --Frank Sinatra

Comment

My process is very mixed, somtimes I will sit down with a beer and a big pad of paper and do big brain storms, then do some really dodgy sketches then refine on paper before taking into illustrator. Other times I will just be sitting on illustrator then somthing will hit me. Some people have a really rigid process: conceptualise, sketch, refine, then produce finished artwork. I'd like to say i do this all the time, but the fact is that a lot of the time i dont.

The only essential thing to remember is ... beer!
        I work while you are all asleep...

Comment

Originally posted by CamarotaDesign
          Im not the best hand artist, I have a shakey hand and I've tried a lot to improve, but I just cant do fast accurate drawings. If I take a lot of time to fix my marks and smooth it all out, I can turn out stuff worthy of any design firm, but theres no point for me to do that when it takes so long. I also sorta developed my "shakey improvising, leave all the mistakes in" into my artistic style (on my website). For art, its great, but for design, it doesnt always work too well.
          I can't draw either, Camarota. I don't think it's important to draw "good" sketches, but it's important to lay out your concept on paper first, where you can visualize it as a big picture. That's the real purpose of sketching first.
          Ned Yeung, A.C.E.
          mediamainline.com
          cyclopsphoto.ca

Comment

Oh man, I need to start integrating alcohol into my design process, thats what I've been forgetting all these years. And to think, that the burrito shop down the street has a 1 dollar Corona Special everyday of the week, and I dont take advantage of it on my lunch break... !!!!!

Ok, thats it tomorrow, You will all be reading some posts from me after getting a fat buzz
            "To be is to do" --Socrates.
            "To do is to be" --Jean-Paul Sartre.
            "Do be do be do" --Frank Sinatra

Comment

Beer doesn't work for me. I prefer a bottle of premium gin at my desk.
              Ned Yeung, A.C.E.
              mediamainline.com
              cyclopsphoto.ca

Comment

Sketch, Sketch, Sketch constantly.

My background is in illustration so I have always found pencil and ablank pad a good start.

Next, depending on how spot on I am, I scan in the illy and trace over it.
                If it's not clean enough, I do a cleaner pencil or other media clean-up.

Then proceed from there...
                Purity and simplicity... and ubuntu.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. If an elephant has its foot on the tail of a mouse and you say that you are neutral, the mouse will not appreciate your neutrality.
                - Bishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

well, i was going to say i just go to the computer nowadays, but then after some thinking, realized when i was talking to one of my last clients for a logo/identity, that I started scribbling on an envelope. Then I transferred the sketch into Illustrator. (not by scanning but with the pen tool.) Then if I had a thought I might sketch it out or just jump on the computer to do it.

I guess it depends on how intricate the design/logo is. some that are very easy just start on the computer, but there are times when i sketch them out to start.
                  Dribbble Page
                  Behance Portfolio
                  Linkedin Profile

Comment

I find I write a lot. My sketch book (especially when I'm coming up with a logo or an identity concept) gets filled with my actual though process and I tend to scribble or sketch along with it.

I'm not the greatest illustrator either - my drawings have a painterly style to them. Very loose. But I always find ideas come more readily when sketching/writing.

I'll often go to the computer when I have an idea, and something new will develope from it, but the sketchbook is still king.
                    In this post there are 47 people, none of them can be seen.

Comment

Nicotine, Valium, Vicodin, Marijuana Ecstasy and Alcohol...
                      Nicotine, Valium, Vicodin, Marijuana Ecstasy and Alcohol...

Comment

I sketch for logos, but a lot of times for cd covers I don't. A lot of that process is so dictated by what artwork is available for use and how much copy that I'll go straight to the computer a lot. Most of the time, I'll have a general idea of where I'm heading anyway. But for things like logos, I'll sketch quite a bit. My biggest problem in graphic design is that I tend to overconceptualize things and spend way too much time on concept development. Sketching stuff out seems to shorten that process.
                        You're no longer a child when a mud puddle is an obstacle rather than an opportunity!

Comment

I always have a sketchbook/paper beside me. I'm one of those constant doodlers, I can't help it. I had to bring the sketch book to work or all my office paperwork would have doodles all over them. I'll sraw on anything so I keep it a habit to have a sketch book with me.

But don't always start with sketches in my designs unless I am just creating some original artwork. But I may sketch elements I need to trace out in Illy.
                          I prefer Illy over Photoshop for creation/re-creation.
                          "You're just jealous because YOUR hat doesn't have a clock in it!"

Comment

I start out sketching. Always. Whether it be a bar napkin, a receipt in my wallet or just a piece of scrap paper. I hardly ever use a sketch book, but that's just me. I like using whats around me at any given moment. But I don't just jump on the computer. To me it's a huge no-no. So much creativity is lost when jumping right into Illy. Many people need to convey their concepts a certain way and sketching can help get that rolling. If you jump right on the computer and don't know how to do something you want to show it can hinder you final result. Throw down 10-15 small sketches and THEN hit the computer.

Comment

I must admit that I'm a compulsive doodler, too. I doodle on whatevers near me as well. Growing up, I always made a specatacle of the tv guide cover!
                              You're no longer a child when a mud puddle is an obstacle rather than an opportunity!

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
                              Working...
                              X