X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• justified text

how does everyone feel about mixing justified text and unjustified text?

what i mean is like......lets say you have an article, would it be better to have the introductory and the rest of the text the same like justified or unjustified.......rather than having lets say the introductory justified and the body text unjusitified?

ill take some screen shots and post em soon.

just wanted to hear some professional opinions about this subject.

thanks

i like justifying everything.
    The beginning is always today.

Comment

here are some examples

this is the image of justified intro, and just body text..

here is the image of just intro and unjust body text. what do you guys think about this one? could it be alright to mix unjust and just?

Comment

I always like the "look" of justified text, but with so much to read I find its easier to read unjustified text. So, if I were doing this layout, I would choose version 2.
        Media & Marketing; the perfect marriage. maa.technical-t.com

Comment

I think the rivers in your intro copy need to be looked at. If it was me I would ragged right it all

Comment

Justified text should never be used IMO. Seems to be more of an American thing than a Euro one.

Comment

I think ragged right is more inviting to read. Justified text is very hard to "want to" read.
              Viki Anderson Graphics & Design on Demand
              Through the Looking Glass

Comment

It's really a personal thing, isn't it? I have always preferred the look of non-justified text, but quite a number of clients seem to want it.

Comment

I like the latter of the two. You may want to avoid the break in the intro ection with "multi-talented" and adjust the sapcing of the lines, maybe start near the top and adjust the lines by a word to give the justified text a better routing. or try a left justified intro to see how that looks.

I do like the sticking to the baseline throughout the story.
                  Dribbble Page
                  Behance Portfolio
                  Linkedin Profile

Comment

Originally posted by Eggles1
                    but quite a number of clients seem to want it.
                    That's because they mistakenly believe it looks more professional. Ragged text is easier to read, and thus conveys the message better than justified when all other aspects are the same.

Sometimes, they just won't listen though...and as long as they pay on time, they get to make that call. Tell them what's right and let them choose. Think about how ridiculous this kind of thing would be in other industries:

Doctor: Tom, your liver is failing. We're going to have to remove it.

Tom: Yeah Doc, but I like my liver. Let's go ahead and take out my pancreas instead.

Doctor: Tom, that won't do anything to solve the problem and will only create more problems.

Tom: Well, I really like my liver and I tool an anatomy class in high school. I want you to take my pancreas out and leave my liver. I think it will work just fine.
                    Marketing tips

Comment

methinks the justified a pretty sight, y'arr
                      "To be is to do" --Socrates.
                      "To do is to be" --Jean-Paul Sartre.
                      "Do be do be do" --Frank Sinatra

Comment

Originally posted by jlknauff
                        That's because they mistakenly believe it looks more professional. Ragged text is easier to read, and thus conveys the message better than justified when all other aspects are the same.

Sometimes, they just won't listen though...and as long as they pay on time, they get to make that call. Tell them what's right and let them choose. Think about how ridiculous this kind of thing would be in other industries:

Doctor: Tom, your liver is failing. We're going to have to remove it.

Tom: Yeah Doc, but I like my liver. Let's go ahead and take out my pancreas instead.

Doctor: Tom, that won't do anything to solve the problem and will only create more problems.

Tom: Well, I really like my liver and I tool an anatomy class in high school. I want you to take my pancreas out and leave my liver. I think it will work just fine.
                        amazing! if only clients would listen

"There's something about turning the pages of a book or magazine and the felling of rubbing your hands across the words."

This is my pen tool. There are many like it, but this one is MINE. My pen tool is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My pen tool without me is useless. Without my pen tool, I am useless.

there is no grey area when it comes to 1 color logos.

Comment

thanks for all the input and suggestions, i really like the ragged left and ragged right suggestion, i actually tried it out and really like it. yeah i typically like unjustified over justified more, but the client really likes justified.
                          well here is the image...

Comment

I would, as the others said, use the unjustified body text. However, I would work on lining up the first and last lines of your columns better. You would be better off to line up the top of the right column with the top of the introductory paragraph, rather than lining up the bottoms of the columns. Then if you can find more notes to add to the bottom of the second column, you can.
                            Ned Yeung, A.C.E.
                            mediamainline.com
                            cyclopsphoto.ca

Comment

Arrr, yer leading's might tight in that introductory paragraph. I'd open 'er up there and follow Cap'n Ned's suggestion as well. I'm also not feeling the ragged left intro/ragged right body. Arrr. Either ragged right everything, or ragged right the intro and justify the body, in my arrrpinion.

Arrr, and also flush the drop cap B on the left a bit better. Yarrr!
                              "Lucy, you got some 'splainin' to do!" - Ricky Ricardo

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X