X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Online Colleges

In your opinions and experience, how credible are online colleges? I am about to graduate with an AAA in Graphic Design from a technical college... I want to get my BA, in GD or advertising or something but I can't quit my job... Im gaining valuable experience so I want to check out online colleges.

What do you think employers think of online schools? Or do you thing I will get a good education at one? (since in our industry a piece of paper doesnt seem to mean as much as your portfolio)

Sorry... yarrr
    www.jackiecreative.com

People who live in glass houses sink ships.

Originally posted by Jackimalyn
    In your opinions and experience, how credible are online colleges? I am about to graduate with an AAA in Graphic Design from a technical college... I want to get my BA, in GD or advertising or something but I can't quit my job... Im gaining valuable experience so I want to check out online colleges.

What do you think employers think of online schools? Or do you thing I will get a good education at one? (since in our industry a piece of paper doesnt seem to mean as much as your portfolio)

Sorry... yarrr
    I'm working on getting my M.F.A., and the program is entirely online. As long as the school is reputable and isn't some shady degree mill, then a diploma from an online program is just as valid as one from a brick-and-mortar school. EDIT: In fact, if you get your diploma from a college through an online program, I don't think the diploma says "online" anywhere, so there is no why an employer should be able to tell the difference, even if they didn't like the idea for some reason.

Like anything else, you will get out of it what you put into it. If you put a lot of thought and work into your projects, then you can get some portfolio pieces out of it.

Comment

Yarghh, me attempts at an AS were aided by the mighty assistance of courses done on the internet supersea, and I worked 30-40 hours half a fortnight, but not all courses were done online.

Yarghhh, portfolio be where it's at. I got me BS and took no online courses for that, and I'm still looking for refuge for a good chantey in design that's worth it's weight in spanish doubloons.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackimalyn
        In your opinions and experience, how credible are online colleges? I am about to graduate with an AAA in Graphic Design
        If you have a AAA will they tow your carrrrrrr?
        You see, whenever I start feeling sick, I just stop being sick and be awesome instead. True story.

Comment

associate in applied arrrrrrts
          www.jackiecreative.com

Comment

Don't they usually just leave off the Applied? Mine is AS, Associate in Applied Sciences. Oops, I mean ARGHHHH!!!

Comment

In my opinion, degree's mean nothing in graphic design. Experience and a solid portfoilio is what is most important. I got a Bachelors in Graphic Design, but learned more in the first 3 months at my first job then I did 4 years of college. If you really want to work on your degree, there is nothing wrong with online colleges..chances are potential employers won't even ask.

oh, and it seems like everyone is doing some sort of pirate thing...so yarrrrrr
              graphic design will save the world right after rock and roll does...

Comment

it be national talk like a pirate day matey...
                http://www.talklikeapirate.com/piratehome.html

I be grateful for all ye help. I be as lost as a mate without me ship.
                www.jackiecreative.com

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                Working...
                X